Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

what is the diffrence?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 08:29 PM
CadillacDTS2001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the diffrence?

I'm sure you have all heard the 7.2 VOLT STICK PACK the regular size on e and the u hear of the 6 cell micro 7.2 volt 1100 mah battery that you use for the mini-t and other ones my question is what is the difference between the regular7.2 volt stick pack and the micro 7.2 volt one now i now there is a difference in size and the mah differ but you still can get a 2000mah micro pack so why cant you run a micro 2000mah pack in a car or boat that requires a stander size 7.2 stick pack?
Old 11-20-2005, 08:51 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: what is the diffrence?

I will give this a shot (this is stretching my battery knowledge and I'll be pleased to hear the real answer when the experts chime in)

I was not aware that there was a micro pack with 2000, but can we use a pack of 6xAA's with a capacity of 2500 mah and compare to a sub C stick pack of 2400.

The sub c is designed for a higher dischare rate (possibly 50 amps) the AA is designed more for capacity and may sustain a discharge rate of 10 amps. If you have a application that uses the battery very slowly, then sure you can use the smaller cells, but on a regular power model that runs 10-15 minutes will pull the voltage down very low on the AA's and ruin them soon.

If you were interested in why this happens I think it may have to do with the cells diameter where a larger diameter cell gives a higher discharge rate and a longer cell gives more capacity. That's about the extent of my knowledge of cell design
Old 11-20-2005, 09:58 AM
CadillacDTS2001

thank you very much that answerd my Question i kinda thought thet it would have a lower amp discharge but i wasnt Quite sure because for the one reason i hanve a mini-t and a 1/8 scale rc car and i put a 550 motor aon my mini t and zooom there it goes and it went as fast as my 1/8 scale rc car if not faster that is why i asked thenk you
Old 11-23-2005, 09:23 PM
stevenchao

Here is a simplified guideline of determining your needs in between different (NiCd & NiMh) battery packs...

1. The larger the diameter of the battery the higher the discharge rate, the skinnier the battery the lower the discharge capability.
2. The longer the battery the greater the capacity, but discharge rate will remain the same as ones with equal diameter and chemistry.
3. The lower the impedience the greater the discharge and the lower the capacity.

Peace,
Steven Chao,
AON Electric