Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Making Battery Packs

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making Battery Packs

Okay, so my batteries area dead and I want to make new packs for the transmitter and receiver of my plane. I was told to order individual cells and solder tabs. So I did. Now, how to proceed? Can someone take a couple of minutes to run me through the steps of building an acceptable pack? Why is one tab on each battery covered in plastic and the other is not? Maybe a dumb question, but both tabs on a given battery are facing the same direction - how are you supposed string a line of cells together when the tabs on each battery face the same direction? Do I take one off of each battery and just resolder it in the other direction so I can tie it to the next cell? If it's not glaringly obvious, I've never done this before, so need some basic instructions. I could just do it "my way," but I'd kind of like to know that actual correct way.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Making Battery Packs

this is everything u need to know about building a bat

http://www.rccaraction.com/rc/articl...ld_battery.asp
Old 02-17-2006, 07:57 PM

Thanks. I did see that before, but do I need to do something a bit differently since the batteries already have the welded tabs on them? If they didn't I'd just use the battery bars and be done with it. But the tabs are there and I'm just trying to figure out if I weld them directly to the next battery, or if I solder wire between tabs on adjacent batteries.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:46 AM

From what I understand you want to stay away from using wire as it will introduce increased resistance between the cells, thereby decreasing the efficiency of the pack. If they already have tabs on them, just solder to the next cell. Don't forget to tin!