Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

triton charger options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 05:24 PM
lilcurtis
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default triton charger options?

Ok so i fainally decided that i wanted to get a top notch charger for both my R/C trucks and my new heli i just bought. I was told the triton is the one to get. I know its mainly a plane charger so does it do car bats well? whats a decent power source to get for it? the only 2 i saw at tower were $90 and up so i'm just making sure thats whats available.

I will be using 6-7 cell 3300 and 3600 nimh packs for my cars and most likely be using some litho packs for my heli. any input would be much appreciated, thanks.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:24 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: triton charger options?

Yes, it is a good charger, a better one for 6-7 cells and lipo may be the Triton JR (not out yet) and the duratrax Ice, they are both limited to 10 cell I think. On to your power supply,,,

Any power supply of 100 watts will work as long as it is between 10.5 - 15 volts. Pc power suplies work ok on the triton. If you will only do lipo and 6-7 cells then a ps of 60 watts will work.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Wlouigene
My Feedback: (66)

If you can get a charger that has two outputs that would be the best way to go, for a few dollar more you can get [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEYD4&P=ML]Accu-Cycle[/link] it come with a power supply there is no need for you to go out and buy one, the triton doesn’t.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:56 AM
lilcurtis
My Feedback: (4)

yeah i looked into those accu-cycle ones but they dont produce enough amps for car bats. i forgot all about the ice, ill have to look into that as well. thanks for the help.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Kieft

Charging with to many amps.will destroy the packs.With how many amps,are yoou going to charge youre packs?
1C,is proberly the max,if you dont want to ruin youre packs,

I got an Robitronic Overloader,this charger is looks very much ,like the Duratraxx Ice(te Dura is cheaper)and it has anything you need,to charge youre bats.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:40 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the at home power supply for my Triton i use a Pyramid PS-12KX, provides a 10 amp continuous output at 13.86 volts and can be picked up off eBay for as little as 40 bucks new and hardly ever over 60. I've used them for years in avionics and car stereo/amp repair and they do a wonderful job.

kc
Old 06-28-2006, 10:03 AM
Garrelc
My Feedback: (2)

You can Buy The Pyramid Power supply Direct from these folks.

They Work Great!

http://www.pacetronics.com/group.cfm...TOKEN=91309033
Old 09-12-2006, 09:00 AM
essence25
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: U-dUd

Yes, it is a good charger, a better one for 6-7 cells and lipo may be the Triton JR (not out yet) and the duratrax Ice, they are both limited to 10 cell I think. On to your power supply,,,

Any power supply of 100 watts will work as long as it is between 10.5 - 15 volts. Pc power suplies work ok on the triton. If you will only do lipo and 6-7 cells then a ps of 60 watts will work.

Can you explain why you think the Triton JR is better than the original Triton for 6-7 cells or lipo for that matter?

I'm looking to get a triton charger but I cant decide between the Triton or Triton JR.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:30 PM
guver

The Jr may be better because it is cheaper , simpler, smaller and more catered to lower cell counts. For lipos it will do them at 5 amps (I think it will if the capacity is entered at 5000) max where the triton will only do 2.5 amps and is very slow. The Ice will go higher rate and has more adjustability and graph.

The new Triton2 should eliminate some of these reasons. I see now triton is $89 and at that price IT may be the better deal.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:33 AM
essence25

Well I got both in my hands for a few days. I do like the JR but the Triton SR is much nicer. Interface and all. I don't see why people think the Triton menu is complicated. I find it extremely simple. Now about the 5A for lipos I only have 3cell 2100mah lipos, so I wont need more than 2.5a anyway.

However I did discover something on the triton. Power up the unit holding all 3 buttons in it will ask for a password to go in
factory mode. I bet 1k there is an option there to bump up the lipo support for 5A.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:44 AM
guver

Hmm, the old ones used to go to some calibration menus, but I tried newer ones with no luck. There are a few "options" I'd like to change. I'm shopping for a 5 amp x 14 cell charger and there are many to choose from. The trusty original triton really does beat them all and at $89 is a great deal.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:20 PM
essence25

Ok after charging my lipo with both the Triton and Triton JR I noticed the original Triton seems to constantly go up & down on the output current. It goes to 0A then slowly up and then down etc..

The Triton JR keeps the charging current at exact number I set it. 2A in my case.

Now the question is which of the units are healthier or better for the LIPO battery ?

Also you mentioned newer Triton units, well mine is one of the latest original Triton units and has the hidden menu if you press&hold all 3 buttons at power up. I HOPE SOMEONE CAN SUPPLY THE PASSWORD. 4 digit.

One more thing worth mentioning, the backlit LCD from the Triton JR works perfectly on the original Triton, and makes the old Triton backlit. (hope someone finds this useful) if they got a bad JR etc.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:44 PM
guver

good info thanks. I too wopuld like the pass word and procedure for calibration. I could really mess one up.[&:]

I think the original triton is a bit easier on lipos since it is so slow and conservative. It probably ramps up a lot slower than the triton jr.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:34 AM
essence25

I measured both units charge times on a 2100mah 3S lipo for my MX400 Pro. I found the JR takes 74 minutes to fully charge the lipo.
The Triton SR takes 85 minutes. I closely monitored the process on the Triton SR and found that it slowly starts charging from 0.1A to 2.0A only for the first 10Minutes after which it holds at 2A for the entire charge and at the end it slowly moves down to 0.1A and holds it there for about 3-4 minutes to peak the battery. While I don't know much about lipo's, in my book the original Triton seems to be the better charger since it slowly works the battery at start and end.

I tested 2 full charges on each charger and results were the same, the JR put in 2044mah while the Triton SR put in 2090mah and took 10 minutes longer. That is acceptable in my book and for the record 10 minutes difference between the two chargers sounds insignificant, since I could pull the battery off at 75 minutes and still be charged fully.

The heli was flown under same condition and flight style. The Triton SR charges lasted 1 minute longer. I was able to fly in normal mode @2200rpm head speed 25A ESC for 14minutes and 13 minutes on the JR charge.

So the Triton is a keeper @$89.

Now.. see if I can find a bloke to ditch the backlight and buy a JR without backlight.. LOL
Old 09-16-2006, 10:40 AM
guver

How much?
Old 09-16-2006, 05:48 PM
essence25

$10 cheaper.. $69 :-)