Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

When is a Lithium Polymer Battery No Longer Useable?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

When is a Lithium Polymer Battery No Longer Useable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 11:41 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When is a Lithium Polymer Battery No Longer Useable?

Just as the title reads, when is a lithium polymer battery unsafe to use? I have a Thunder Power 1320mAh 3 cell lithium polymer battery pack that was manufactured on 11 November 2004, and I was wondering if it was still safe to use? Granted, I charge it about once every six months, athough it hasn't been used in one and a half years.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:50 AM
richrd

Default RE: When is a Lithium Polymer Battery No Longer Useable?

?? when it no longer serves it’s propose. LiPO have no end of life date if stored correctly BUT always a but huh. Today it’s been said to store cold at 3.85V or around 30% charged for best life. What you could do is cycle the battery on a good charger check capacity and balance if ok then it’s ok. PS pack should never show signs of puffing if it does then discard now by discharging to zero slow and trash it.
Rich
Old 09-21-2006, 08:10 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

So I should only charge the battery to 396mAh or 30% the capacity before letting it sit? I did hear that a lithium battery is no longer usable when it looses 20% of its capacity.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:44 AM
richrd

Yes No Load open cell voltage after 5 minute rest should read 3.85 V ..thier abouts.. put in fridge good for years if it was good in the first place.
It's personal when you decide when to stop using them. The internal resistance goes up fast as these dye so they become to wimppy to use. That's what happens with these new high power packs as you store them at full charge then lost thier int resistance and hard to cycle them back.
Rich