Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

first lipo help

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 04:52 PM
crazyhaggis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first lipo help

I’m about to receive my first electric plane with lipos as the power source. Up till now I’ve been using an old industrial nimh/nicd charger to charge my nimh packs. The charger is very simple but effective. There are only two controls one for the amount of time you wish to charge and another to set the current. Will this charger be suitable for charging lipo packs? I will of course set the current to below 1C, but will I be able to slow charge the packs at say 60mA for an indefinite period like nimh or does the lipo need to be disconnected once charged?

Also as the charger has no processing power to shut off automatically, how will I be able to tell if the pack is fully charged? Do they get slightly warm like nimh packs or is it just of case of working out how many amps you put in the pack?

Any advice appreciated
Stuart

If I do need to buy a charger just for lipos what should I get?
Old 09-21-2006, 06:41 PM
balsabuster2003

Default RE: first lipo help

Somebody please help this guy before he burns his house down!
Old 09-21-2006, 07:19 PM
pilotpete2

Stuart,
You absolutley CANNOT use that charger, get a dedicated Lipo charger, preferably an FMA Cellpro 4S, as it is proving itself to be the safest lipo charger on the market for lipos in the popular size packs, goes for 69 bucks here in the states, I don't know about distribution in the UK.
Before you attempt to use lipo batteries, Please take the time to learn as much as you can, they cannot be treated like nickel cells.
Good luck,
Pete
Old 09-22-2006, 09:53 AM
richrd

Yes second that must use LiPO charger constant voltage output MAX at 4.2V and constant current at 1C or less. Also must balance pack so all cells same voltage for long life.
LiPO DO EXLODE as said nothing about LiPO is the same as NiCD or NIMH.
Rich
Old 09-22-2006, 04:02 PM
crazyhaggis

Oh dear, looks like i'll be buying a charger, i was wondering though, I have quite a few lab style power supplies with variable votlage and current on them surely i could set one of them up with the correct voltage and just use a very low current so i could charge the pack overnight. I'm thinking that a slow chrage will ensure all the cells are balanced or is this just wishfull thinking?
Old 09-22-2006, 04:56 PM
pilotpete2

ORIGINAL: crazyhaggis

Oh dear, looks like i'll be buying a charger, i was wondering though, I have quite a few lab style power supplies with variable votlage and current on them surely i could set one of them up with the correct voltage and just use a very low current so i could charge the pack overnight. I'm thinking that a slow chrage will ensure all the cells are balanced or is this just wishfull thinking?
The "overnite" scenario is disasterous[X(], a lipo cell MUST not be allowed to go over 4.2V. Lipos do not "peak" like nickel cells, the cell with the highest voltage can be driven overvoltage with nasty results. Using lab power supplies can be done, BUT the voltage must be closely monitored.
Cheers,
Pete