Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

question for first charge on NiMH packs with an IntelliPeak Twin Pulse

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

question for first charge on NiMH packs with an IntelliPeak Twin Pulse

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 05:47 PM
emaxximus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question for first charge on NiMH packs with an IntelliPeak Twin Pulse

hi all.. i'm still very new to the rc scene and just getting used to the proucts i own.. i recently picked up an emaxx off ebay for a sweet deal, this auction came with an IntelliPeak Twin Pulse charger to top off the deal.. i have been using this charger with the packs that also came with the truck and am VERY pleased with the results (this thing appears nearly fool proof).. the packs however included with the truck are only 2400's and are NiCd's, this moves me to my question:

i just picked up some new 7cell packs off ebay (i believe 3400 NiMH's).. after doing some research on how to charge these babies for the 1st few cycles to get best performance i gathered that they should be tricke charged.. my charger has no option for a trickle charge... so should i just set the charger on the 1amp setting as opposed to the 3.5amp and just cycle them the 1st few times like that???

the reason i ask is that the instruction manual for the IntelliPeak says the 1amp setting is to charge 8cell transmitters.. i assume this would be close to a trickle charge but am kinda at a loss here.. i wanna try out my new packs!!! thanks for any help, and please excuse any ignorance on the topic as i tried searching...

~Paul
Old 09-27-2006, 06:08 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: question for first charge on NiMH packs with an IntelliPeak Twin Pulse

Well you're right about trickling (c/10 slow charge) for the first charge or so.

I think for the twin pulse the best is to use the 1 amp setting on left side and allow it to charge full up (3-4 hrs)and then leave it on the 100ma trickle charge for at least another 6-8 hrs to balance the cells.

Second best would be to charge them both on the regular 3.5 (1 hr or so) and then leave them on over nite to balance the cells.

Tip- count the flashes and multiply by 5 minutes to check how long it charged to ensure it didn't kick off too early. The batts should be well warm.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:09 PM
guver

Default RE: question for first charge on NiMH packs with an IntelliPeak Twin Pulse

Those new packs will smoke your old ones if they were 6 cells, you'll think you got another truck, lol.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:16 PM
emaxximus

wow wasn't expecting such a quick reply!! i'm pretty new here posting wise, but have been floating around quite a while now.. U-dud: you seem to be quite the contributor to these forums and i thank you for your advise...

i think i'll go with the 1amp trickle charge on the left side for each battery and let em both go overnight one at at time just to be safe with em.. my main concern was if the 1amp could be used on a regular 7cell pack, not a transmitter... thanks again for the help!!! cant wait to see the difference with a greater MAh pack nevermind the extra cell to boot...

~Paul
Old 09-27-2006, 06:20 PM
emaxximus

lol damn, i didn't even finish my last post before i read your second haha.. now i'm even more stoked to get these packs cycled up!!! U-dud owns these forums lol.. and thanks for the tips on counting the blinks, i had no clue what that meant and the instructions are half par to say the least...

one last question tho... how many cycles should i give these packs on a low amperage charge before kicking it up to the full 3.5?? thanks a bunch man!!

~Paul
Old 09-27-2006, 06:54 PM
guver

I think if the packs are empty (dead) then I would do 1 cycle and ensure that it charged 3-4 hrs (35-45 flashes?) and leave overnite to trickle at 100 ma. The 1 amp side will be fine for those batts, too bad it isn't on both sides. I have heard recommendation of up to 5 cycles, even up to 50 cycles, but each cycle becomes decreasingly significant for cell formation and/balance.

The e-maxx with a twin pulse and 2 decent batts is a good fun package. If the e-bay packs are not gp or IB cells (I have an idea that they are generic/cheap) then be careful of batt temps in second gear running because the e-maxx is a battery eater and can ruin the lower quality packs quickly.

First run can be a nice 1st gear only "test drive"
Old 09-27-2006, 07:55 PM
emaxximus

hmmm intersting reccomendation on the 1st gear only test drive, i didn't realize running in 2nd put more stress on the batts... yep you pretty much hit it on the head tho, i believe i paid $60 including shipping for a pair of 7cell packs lol.. though the auction did state they are matched cells (if that means much at all)... i still presume these will be an improvement over the packs i am running currently, i rip through em in no more than 10mins...

well again, thanks for the help and hopefully these will hold me over till i have the dough for a set of quality 7cells... any reccomendations???

~Paul
Old 09-28-2006, 09:07 AM
guver

Any of the vendors or matchers that carry IB or GP cells. They are available in 3300-4300 mah.