Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Did I damage anything????

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 08:41 PM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Did I damage anything????

Hi Guys.

I was attempting to charge my RX pack (SR 3400h) through the charge jack on my switch harness when I made a terrible mistake. Instead of connecting the rx charge leads to my Triton Charger I accidentally hooked the leads directly to my 12 volt battery. The battery stayed on for less than 20 seconds till I realized my mistake. Nothing got hot and there is no sign of any melted wires on my switch harness or battery lead. The voltage of my Rx pack spiked to about 5.2 V for a short time until returning to the initial voltage after less than one min. I then confirmed that the battery would take a charge and all seems well. I am going to cycle the pack a couple times to check its capacity.

Do you thing I did any damage to the pack or switch harness? Again there are no visible signs of damage. I am sure there was not a heavy current flowing through, just a high voltage.

Thanks,
Dom
Old 09-30-2006, 09:20 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Did I damage anything????

Seems like you were lucky with no damage. As long as your battery cycles properly now, no problems.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:44 AM
richrd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Did I damage anything????

Two things that worked in our favor first battery discharged so high internal resistance and all the wiring also increased resistance so the charge current as you said was low then again the SR’s can take 20 amps easy and not blow. But boy it would have been a mess to clean up if you left for more than 30 minute IHMO …then out gas and get really hot.
Just baby it for a while, check capacity also keep a eye on self discharge …aka check after every flight.
Rich