Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

11.1 vs 14.8

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 05:49 PM
RevoDave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 11.1 vs 14.8

If the mAH's are the same is the 14.8 volt better? Are there other pro's and con's between them?
Old 10-05-2006, 06:01 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: 11.1 vs 14.8

Always, Higher voltage means more power. (it seems like 1 more cell?)
Old 10-05-2006, 06:42 PM
RevoDave

Thanks. Sorry about multi post. I have DirecTV (sat.) I stinks. I get error's and thought my post was not posting and it was.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:42 PM
kurtstock04

ORIGINAL: RevoDave

If the mAH's are the same is the 14.8 volt better? Are there other pro's and con's between them?
Better in reference to what?
The 14.8V contains more energy but weighs more (if you use the same cell type).
The 11.1V needs less space. Usually the 11.1V battery is cheaper compared to a similar 14.4V battery.
Maybe you could provide some context to your question. Knowing what you would like to do with your battery would be helpful.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:28 PM
RevoDave

Well I guess I was wondering which was better. I have a Heli-Max MX 450 XS. It has an Align 430L 3550 motor and an Align 35amp 6v X- model ESC and Hitec 65MG servos on the swash and Hitec 81 on tail with a 401 gyro. It has never been in the air more than 10 seconds, because I don't have a battery yet. I do have an 800 mAH from my CP Pro so I have spun it up and set the servo's, but not enough to hold it in the air for long. I was just wondering if the 4s 14.8 is better than the 3s 11.1 if both are at the same mAh's. In this case 2200 mAH's. Also considering the ESC regulates it to 6v. I know some of the pro's and con's are weight and size.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:11 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Power, with electrics, is measured in watts.

Watts = amps x volts. Therefore, the more volts you can provide, the more power you potentially have to fly.

I don't think I've seen a speed control that will take a 4S battery and allow you to use the BEC (battery eliminator/elimination circuit) in it. You'd have to get a separate BEC to power your electronics, or use another pack.

Some motors may not be designed for a 4S pack--they have maximum RPM's.

If it flys well with a 3S pack, I'd use that.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:42 PM
RevoDave

Both the motor and ESC handle the volts. My question was which would be better. However you did help me learn something. I am new to this and was thinking the ESC regulated everything to 6volts. After looking at the specs on the motor/ESC combo I got I see the voltage to the motor is more than 6Vvolts. If I'm looking at what your saying the motor is getting full battery power and the Rx is getting regulated to 6v.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:03 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RevoDave

Both the motor and ESC handle the volts. My question was which would be better. However you did help me learn something. I am new to this and was thinking the ESC regulated everything to 6volts. After looking at the specs on the motor/ESC combo I got I see the voltage to the motor is more than 6Vvolts. If I'm looking at what your saying the motor is getting full battery power and the Rx is getting regulated to 6v.
Better depends on what you need or want. What was the voltage of the 800 mah pack?

And yes, the motor will see the full voltage of the pack and the BEC will limit the voltage to the Rx to whatever the specs are on the ESC. The BEC circuitry in the ESC has to work progressively harder to bring down the voltage as you increase cell count. The ESC instructions I've seen suggest to drop a servo when you go from a 2S lipo to a 3S lipo so you don't overload the BEC, which has disastrous effects if it does--the Rx loses power and then.... [X(]

The ESC instructions I've seen also tell you that you can use it for 4S lipo packs, but you have to disable the BEC (basically cut a wire) and power your Rx some other way. You can do this by purchasing a separate BEC or get a separate battery for the Rx.