Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

A123 & Moli Lithium packs-construction

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

A123 & Moli Lithium packs-construction

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 03:32 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A123 & Moli Lithium packs-construction

For those of you wanting to use the new A123 or Moli cylindrical Lithium cells, Model Electronics Corporation http://www.modelelectronicscorp.com/ is now offering 'Solderless Power Tube Kits' for the A123 and Moli cells. All 'Solderless Power Tubes' are configured as 2 sticks of cells, side by side.

The 'SPT' design addresses the problem of soldering to the aluminum case of the A123 cells. The steel solder tabs need to be trimmed, as trying to remove them generally leaves small holes in the aluminum case. (not good!)

'SPT' kits that make into 2 cells, 4 cells, 6 cells, or 8 cells are offered.

If you are presently flying with 3 LiPo cells, you should use 4 A 123 cells.

I will be reporting on this product in the March 07 Model Aviation (earlier here).
Old 11-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Delta Mike
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: A123 & Moli Lithium packs-construction

Hi Red, I am considering using the 2300 ma as a flight pack battery running unregulated into the reciever. Like to know what are your thoughts on this.
Dennis
Old 11-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Delta Mike

Hi Red, I am considering using the 2300 ma as a flight pack battery running unregulated into the reciever. Like to know what are your thoughts on this.
Dennis
Once cell is not enough, 3.6 volts or less. 2 cells on the other hand may be too much, 7.2 volts could take out your receiver and/or servos. People are running 5 Ni-Cds which freshly off charge can be 6.75 volts. I would have to leave this decision up to the radio manufacturer, if they can tolerate 7.2 volts. If it were mine I wouldn't do it. It might work - for a while and then at the worse possible time decide it didn't like the higher voltage.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:28 PM
Delta Mike
My Feedback: (18)

Hi Red, The A123 CELLS are 3.3 volts per cell 6.6 total. When I take my 5 cell nicad pack fresh off the charger I see 7 volts. So my first flight would be operating around the 6.6 volt using a Standard 5 cell nicad.

Dennis