Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Seaplane batteries

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 06:30 PM
bigR
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seaplane batteries

Hi,

I'm building an electric seaplane. It will have 4 motors and I estimate about 50 amps total current draw using 3s LiPoly batteries. I have some ThunderPower 2100 packs and intend to use 2 in parallel. I am concerned that at the 12C or so current draw these will get too hot. I cannot use any form of air cooling, of course. At this high discharge rate would the A123 batteries be a better choice?

Have you done any tests of packs at higher temperatures? Maybe the lower internal resistance would keep the batteries from getting hot. What about if they get wet? I have lots of hull volume and can suspend them in the middle of the fuselage to dissipate the heat and keep them off the bottom.

Thanks,

John in Kalifornia
Old 10-21-2006, 10:00 PM
leiffk

Default RE: Seaplane batteries

flown electric for 20 years on water, not an expert but gained some general experience.
I do make some airflow at the risk of some water comming in but even that my equipment have been under water more often than I would like it is still workimg.If things get wet. and it will, open serve,receiver completly spray it with WD40 wipe it off and put it back together, spray all contact and switces,it will not hurt the plastic at least not the first 20 years Put the receiver in a plastic bag but do not leave it in the bag over a week( it can rust), put several balls of tisue papers around inside it opsorbs a lot of water. I have lost a cell usely the last in a pack when the ambiant temp is over 32C I have also made a heat sink of an aluminum tin can, cut the ends of and roll it around the battery snuck and make an extra roll with the extra material. looks like an8 (if it gets hot)
Old 10-23-2006, 03:36 PM
A123 Racing

Hello BigR,

Thanks for your interest in our batteries. It sounds like they would be a good fit in your application. We do have a much lower internal resistance and our batteries stay much cooler than other batteries when put through the same tests. Two of our 3S1P batteries in parallel would definitely do the trick. Do note though that our batteries have a lower nominal voltage so instead of 11.1V you would have 9.9V. You may want to look into running a 4S configuration. this would give you 13.2V and would allow you to run the motors at a slightly lower amp draw. This would add to keeping the batteries cool. Unfortunately we do not have a 4S pack configuration but you could very easily string two of our 2S2P 6.6V 4600mAh batteries together.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Brian

[link=http://www.a123racing.com][/link]
Old 10-27-2006, 03:45 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

To answer your, what happens if they get wet ? the batteries ??

Steel WILL rust if not dried out in a couple of hours. I put mine in a oven PRE HEATED to 160 degrees and THEN TURNED OFF. NO rust so far. DO NOT put them into a still turned on oven.

The heat blast melts the plastic covering.----------How do I know that???????????????

Will be trying it on 1350 mahr Saphion Aluminum cells in a week.