Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

JR Battery pack revive

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 05:10 AM
raknin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR Battery pack revive

I have a JR 4.8V 1100mAH pack which I did not charge for a long time, the battery was in a box not connected to anything. Yesterday when I tried to charge the battery my triton charger show me that the voltage on the battery is 1.7V and he stopped to charge opertaion immediatly. Is there anything that I can do in order to revive the battery pack or she is dead meat.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:14 AM
pilotpete2

Default RE: JR Battery pack revive

You need to slow charge that pack at C/10 or 110Ma for 14 to 16 Hrs then discharge and charge again. Chargers such as the Triton are far from the ideal charger for maintaining radio batteries since it can't perform a slow or "forming" charge, if you have a standard "wallwart" system charger, 50 to 60 Ma charge rate, try using that, leave it on for 2 days to form the battery.
Good luck,
Pete
Old 10-20-2006, 09:56 AM
raknin

Pilotpete,

Thanks I am trying right now to charge it with the original JR chrager the one that came with the radio. It charge with 120ma but for some reason the light in the charger was not lightining with this battery at first but after an hour the charger light turned on. I will give it a try for 14 hours than I will check it again and let you know.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:32 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the battery is still low after a few hours on the original charger, chances are it is not recoverable. Remove the outer layers of shrink wrap or covering to expose all connections and check each individual cell for voltage. Any that are still reading zero are beyond help and, if one is bad, the rest are not far behind. Save the connector and buy another 4 cell pack from one of the battery suppliers listed on the web, usually without connectors. If your present battery connector does not show any signs of corrosion, it will be acceptable to attach it to any generic battery pack and use it.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:50 AM
raknin

The slow charging did not help. It seems that I will buy a new battery, thanks guys. Anyway I had this battery for the past 5 years