Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

I screwed up....need some Lipo help

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

I screwed up....need some Lipo help

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 03:57 PM
dansdeals3489

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I screwed up....need some Lipo help

I need some insight. I was afraid I would do something stupid and I did. I am currently setting up a Helimax MX400 Pro Helicopter and did a major booboo. I was at my LHS today and asked him why the motor is running the wrong way. He told me to reverse the polarity on the motor and it will fix it. Well my dumb self wasn't thinking and I reversed the polarity on the plug from the battery to the speed control. I plugged the battery in and saw a spark and a little puff of smoke. I immediately figured out what I did and unplugged the battery. Well I corrected the plug to the battery and reversed the plugs for the motor. I went to plug the battery in then and nothing happened. I then took my battery to my Accucycle Elite charger and went to see if it would charge or discharge. Nothing happened it said it was charged and also said that it was discharged. I am running a Great Planes LiPo 11.1V 2100mAh 18C Discharge battery. It has the SafeCharge circuit technology in it. My question is did I smoke the battery? and if I did, did I smoke the speed control or anything else then? It really sucks because it was a brand new $75.00 battery. Any insight would be great.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:53 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: I screwed up....need some Lipo help

put a voltmeter to the battery....what does it read....

when you try to start a charge...what voltage does it read??
Old 10-21-2006, 07:46 PM
hands without shadows

Your esc is gone for sure, you let the smoke out, battery you might be lucky, but maybe not.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:33 AM
83gt

The battery is probably fine but I'd be 99% sure that your ESC is fried.

J.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:16 AM
Motions

I did about the same thing with my 10S 4000mAh pack last week. Man, they put a lot of smoke in those packs.

I would definately not even try using that battery again and I'd be willing to bet your ESC is gone too.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:10 PM
dansdeals3489

I took my battery to my LHS and it was most definately fried. It fried the circuit board in it for the safe circuit. It really sucks. Do you guys thing I fried the esc? The battery is what smoked and burned up, the esc did not smoke.