Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Temp probe

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 09:06 AM
raven7usa
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp probe

I recently picked up a Duratrax Ice charger. I have the temp probe for it, but I would like to add an extension to it. Could I use something like a servo extension, or would this add to much resistance and throw off the tempature reading?
Old 10-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Temp probe

ORIGINAL: raven7usa

I recently picked up a Duratrax Ice charger. I have the temp probe for it, but I would like to add an extension to it. Could I use something like a servo extension, or would this add to much resistance and throw off the tempature reading?
I probably shouldn't respond, without knowing the "probe" is a thermocouple. However, if it is, and you insert a conductor of differing material into the circuit (the copper wire of the extension), your Ice system will be reporting a number modified by the temperature at the extension/thermocouple junction.

Thermocouples work because there is a temperature dependent voltage generated at the junction of dissimilar metals. If you put in a copper to iron, or copper to constantan junction (the extension wire), those junctions will affect the generated voltage, and hence the meter reading.

Perhaps the Ice people sell an extension? Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 10-25-2006, 01:57 PM
richrd

Yes but No.

Thermal couples J type using dissimilar metals must use cold junction terminations. But ICE does not it’s a electrical device that powered by the plug and reads back to the ICE it’s temperature. “ I simplified some hereâ€
Use common extension.. I do it works great. I put one up to 36 inches and got same temperature reading.
Rich
Old 10-25-2006, 06:19 PM
raven7usa
My Feedback: (7)

Thanks guys, I just wanted to make sure it would work, as Rich said, and not send up smoke signals.