Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Lipo Charging Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 01:26 PM
K01S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo Charging Question

I'm one of the many newbies to electric flying. Overall I really like it a lot, it's clean and quiet; but it is also more expensive and sometimes very confusing

My question is this I have 2 Thunder Tiger 11.1V 2100 Mah LiPo battery packs. I got the latest one about 3 weeks ago. I got it home I checked the balance with the Astro Blinky and then charged it up. The charge quit at 12.6V which is about the same as teh older pack I have. I flew only once with teh new battery and the flight ended in a crash (my fault) but it didn't plow in hard and it landed in tall grass. Anyway, last weekend I recharged it and it will only charge to about 11.7V. I but the Astro Blinky on it and it seemed OK so I tried to re-charge again and after a while it teh charger says it's done, the Blinky shows wvwrything to be balanced byt teh voltage still never gets above 11.7V.

Is this OK or do I have some sort of problem? Any comments would be Greatly Appreciated.

Regards, - K01S []
Old 10-23-2006, 02:26 PM
richrd

Default RE: Lipo Charging Question

yes a problem. does the pack get warm while charging?
Two sugestions If you have a volt meter measure each voltage of each cell.
Or try to charge thourgh the balancer one cell at a time... see which one is down, must get to 4.2V per cell.
BTW it takes very little to damage these packs. If one is dented be very very carefull to get it discharged and trashed they at thier worse when damaged.
Rich
Old 10-23-2006, 03:38 PM
K01S

Rich, thanks for the info. Could you also tell me how I can measure the voltage of each cell? I'm guessing it must be at the balancing connector. There are 4 wires so I presume black is ground and the other 3 must be the 'hot' wires.

Oh yeah, the pack does not get warm at all.

Thanks, - K01S []
Old 10-24-2006, 08:25 AM
ChrisMH

The balance taps are connected in series to each cell, so each pair of wires in the tap are connected to a cell. You can measure voltage at each pair and, if the pack is fully charged, you should read 4.2v at each pair. So, for example, if the wires in your tap are (in order) black, yellow, red, blue you should read 4.2v when measuring black-yellow, yellow-red, and red-blue. You can also charge individual cells with these same connections.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:51 AM
K01S

Thank you very much for the information Chris! - K01S [8D]