Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Cellpro charging problems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 09:26 AM
aconsola
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cellpro charging problems?

Yesterday I purchased an FMA cellpro 4s charger, the TP charge adapter, and a thunder power 910mah 3s pack for my blade cp.
The charger seems to be behaving strangely. for the first charge when I set it at 1c it would charge at 1.1A. During that charge cycle if I set the rate to 1.4c, the charge rate dropped down to .5A .
Today I charged the pack again. I started out at 1C default rate, and it was charging at .5A I let it go for 5 minutes or so and checked on it, and the charge rate was up to 2.5A!
Re-setting the charge rate manually to 1.4c dropped the amperage back to .5A
Is this normal?
While set at "1c" the current varied from .5c to nearly 3c
Shouldn't the current be constant throughout the charge cycle?
The pack never seemed to get warm from the high charge rate.
Thanks,
-Anthony
Old 10-25-2006, 09:35 AM
Fred Marks

Default RE: Cellpro charging problems?

ORIGINAL: aconsola

Yesterday I purchased an FMA cellpro 4s charger, the TP charge adapter, and a thunder power 910mah 3s pack for my blade cp.
The charger seems to be behaving strangely. for the first charge when I set it at 1c it would charge at 1.1A. During that charge cycle if I set the rate to 1.4c, the charge rate dropped down to .5A .
Today I charged the pack again. I started out at 1C default rate, and it was charging at .5A I let it go for 5 minutes or so and checked on it, and the charge rate was up to 2.5A!
Re-setting the charge rate manually to 1.4c dropped the amperage back to .5A
Is this normal?
While set at "1c" the current varied from .5c to nearly 3c
Shouldn't the current be constant throughout the charge cycle?
The pack never seemed to get warm from the high charge rate.
Thanks,
-Anthony
Anthony: The manual describes all this. CellPro uses a microprocessor to make highly accurate measurement of the characteristics of each cell in your pack and then to adjust charge current to produce the optimum charge algorithm on a continual basis. This allows the pack to be charged as quickly as practical if you want and extends pack life significantly. If you do not want to charge the pack automatically, the provision is there for manual charge as you found.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:54 AM
aconsola
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the quick reply. I found the same info buried in another thread while researching it myself. It really shouldn't be called 1c and 1.4c if it is a variable charge mode, those labels indicate a specific rate, not a variable one. This feature should be explained more clearly in the manual, and perhaps with future firmware the 1c/1.4c labels changed to something more appropriate like lo/hi or mode 1/2 .
Other than that It is a great little charger!
Thanks again,
-Anthony
Old 10-30-2006, 05:05 AM
asm_

Not sure which version of the charger you are using, but I just checked my CellPro v.1.07 and I don't see any reference in the menu that suggested rating in "C" rating. I believe all charge rating were set using "A" (amp).

~asm
Old 10-30-2006, 09:51 AM
pilotpete2

Those are really the correct designations, the 1C or 1.4C rate is the average, the charge rate is dynamic and based on the cells ability to accept a charge, even the specific charge rates with the Cellpro will react to a problem with the cells, or if you goofed and set 3A rate for a 300Mah pack[X(], it would hold the charge rate down to an acceptable level for the pack good thing since we humans are prone to brain farts
Pete