Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Three wires on battery lead???

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 01:51 AM
malswift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Three wires on battery lead???

Guys,

I purchased a new Hydrimax battery for my JR transmitter. The battery came with a Futaba connector with three wires (red, white, and black). I replaced the Futaba connector with my JR connector from the original battery. Two questions:

1 - Why the three wires instead of two on the new battery?

2 - The old JR battery has one brown and one red lead. Is red positive and brown negative?

After soldering the wires together red to red and brown to black, I went to charge the battery (after installing it in my JR radio) with my Triton charger but get an indication of "No Battery".

Any ideas??????
Old 10-27-2006, 04:12 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Three wires on battery lead???

The Futaba white wire is for signal, and is not needed for battery connection. Red is +ve and Black is -ve

The JR red is +ve, and brown is -ve. Orange is for signal

So, what you need to connect is Futaba red to JR red; and Futaba black to JR brown.

Hope this helps
Old 10-27-2006, 09:40 AM
huey-pilot
My Feedback: (17)

I had a receiver battery that was purchased from a battery builder in Kentucky that had 3 wires, no problems with the battery until I plugged it directly into the receiver instead of a switch harness, the wires immediately got very hot and melted the insulation. The builder soldered the signal wire to either the red or black wire, it was hard to tell which one due to the melted mess. The receiver seems to have survived and is still working. The switch harness eliminated the problem of the signal wire since it has just the red and black wires.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:08 PM
laryboy
My Feedback: (2)

what is the white wire connected to on the battery ?
Old 10-27-2006, 03:30 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The white wire should not be connected to anything, it is just floating on most modern setups. On some of the very old battery packs, the white wire was connected to center of the cells, i.e. at the 2.4 volt point.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:36 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Wait a second.
What was said above is true.
If you installed it in your TX, JR and Futaba charge jacks for the TX is backwards.
While the color relationship is correct, on the TX the Futaba teh center pin is positive with a negative barrel. On Jr the center pin is negative with a positive barrel. Try to charge it with your existing setup, outside of the TX. then install it and see what happens.
ORIGINAL: malswift

Guys,

I purchased a new Hydrimax battery for my JR transmitter. The battery came with a Futaba connector with three wires (red, white, and black). I replaced the Futaba connector with my JR connector from the original battery. Two questions:

1 - Why the three wires instead of two on the new battery?

2 - The old JR battery has one brown and one red lead. Is red positive and brown negative?

After soldering the wires together red to red and brown to black, I went to charge the battery (after installing it in my JR radio) with my Triton charger but get an indication of "No Battery".

Any ideas??????
Old 10-30-2006, 02:36 AM
malswift

Thanks for the responses guys. Sorry for not getting back to this sooner.....was out of town.

Geistware: I was wondering the same thing, but the JR plug is unique, and with the JR plug installed, I have no other way to charge it other than thru the TX. As I said in my original post, I removed the Futaba plug from the new battery in order to install the JR plug from the old battery. I wired the new battery to the the JR battery connector (red to red and brown to black) so apparently I did that correct according to what rajul said in his post. Consequently, I don't believe the problem to be what you suggest. I sure would like to try charging the battery outside the TX................does anyone know who sells the female end of the connector?

I am starting to think I either purchased a bad battery from the LHS (sat on the store shelf too long???) or my well cared for JR 8103 is toast........anyone else have this problem with a JR radio???

Until I get this sorted out I am grounded...........[]

Again thanks for all the feedback guys!

Ed
Old 10-30-2006, 03:04 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get your battery and supplies from Dave Thacker www.radicalrc.com
Old 10-30-2006, 10:44 AM
laryboy

why dont you put the original battery back in for test ?
Old 10-30-2006, 11:59 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are charging through the transmitter, be sure the polarity on the charger matches the polarity of the transmitter charge receptical. JR is the reverse of the other brands. Your JR manual will provide the specifics.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:29 AM
malswift

laryboy/John Palica: the reason I purchased a new battery for my TX is because I started getting the same indication on my Triton charger......"No Battery" two weeks ago with the original TX battery. I have been charging that battery (installed in the TX during charging) for several years using my Triton charger with JR charge lead. I simply purchased the new battery thinking my original was dead. Now I am getting the same indication with the new battery using the same charge lead that has worked for several years. I have checked the charge lead for damage and it appears normal so I don't believe it is the charge lead or even a polarity issue (worked for several years). I am starting to believe I have a problem with the charge receptacle in my JR 8103 TX, although in the years I have owned my radio (purchased new in 2003) I have never had a problem........until now. My Triton has been flawless with all my battery charging needs. This is the first time I have seen a problem charging a battery. In fact, I continue to charge all my other batteries (Nicads, lipos, NiMH, etc) without any problems.

Has anyone experienced a problem similar to this with a JR transmitter? I am at the point where I need to send the radio away to be checked out since I am running out of ideas. Can anyone suggest a reputable repair shop or should I send it back to JR (warranty has expired)?

Thanks!

Ed
Old 10-31-2006, 09:24 AM
laryboy

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhha aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..... very important info not mentioned before. a not to common failure mode of the transmitter is the failure of the on off switch. when in the off position the switch connects the battery to the charging jack, when switched to on it connects the battery to the cicuit board. suspect the switch is not connecting jack to battery. someone withe an ohm metery could check this out for you. good luck.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:52 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry Interrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrresting! I would also check the charge receptical to make sure the contacts that touch the charge plug are in fact touching the interior of the plug and contacting the outside of the plug. Very good observation on the switch issue. I'm going to keep that one in my bank.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:00 AM
GJr.
My Feedback: (3)

Over time, the charge receptacle can crack with use. This usually causes a short, but is worth investigating. If you are stumped, send it to Horizon Hobby for quick service. You could call Radio South to check their time frame. I know the owner has some pressing family illness issues.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:37 PM
malswift

Thanks guys..............I am going to send it to Horizon Hobby for a full functional check. In the meantime, I ordered a new JR 9303 from Heliproz......should be here this week. A bit of programming and I should be airborne this weekend! I'll be able to use the second TX anyway to teach my son how to fly helis.

Thanks again for all the words of wisdom!

Ed