Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Strange battery charging phenomenon

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Strange battery charging phenomenon

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 02:38 AM
Ragz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Strange battery charging phenomenon

Recently I purchased (4) 1700ma 6v sanyo cadnica packs. I charged each of them with the ORBIT pocket lader at 0.15amps at the niCD+ setting. I did a charge/discharge (forming) cycle atleast 3 times. I got 2100ma in each charge at 0.15A charge rate. Now I use 1 pack regularly, and a few times I have noticed that even after only 3 flights, on my 27% extra with all digi servos, it will recharge to full 2100ma. At other times, it will take in only 900ma. I am wondering why it would take in 2100 at one time, and only 900 another? Moreover, why is it taking in 2100ma when the pack itself is only 1700ma. I am a little perplexed here and want to get to the bottom of this. These packs are meant to go in some large planes that I cannot think about risking. I am thinking it could be the delta peak detection parameters set in the charger itself. There are 2 modes EACH for charging nicd and nimh. One is nicd and other is called nicd+. Same for nimh and nimh+. The manual states the following parameters for the 4 charging programs:

nimh delta peak -0.30% per cell -4.5mv
nimh+ delta peak -0.50% per cell -7.5mv
nicd delta peak -0.70% per cell -10.5mv
nicd+ delta peak -1.30% per cell -19.5mv

It is also recommended that for slow charging between 0.5C to 1.5C, the nicd+ or nimh+ program be used. For faster charging between 1.5C to say 2/4C the regular nicd or nimh program be used.

I have always used the nicd+ program (nicd+ delta peak -1.30% per cell -19.5mv). Can someone explain whats going on here. I am not "battery smart" at all.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:36 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Strange battery charging phenomenon

On the 2100 mah in the 1700 battery is probably not a concern and may be a result of the slow rate, inefficiency and even an inacccurate charger. It is nothing to worry about, but does give you a nice baseline to compare (you can call your batts 2000 at least on this charger)

The only two explanations for the 900 mah is that you only used that amount out on that particular session. If you knew that your flight duration was very similar to the 2100 mah runs then the only other explanation I can think of is that the charger stopped prematurely and the battery is only half full.

Possibly a restart may charge an additional 1000 mah or so, OR if you'd put it in the plane and fly it would run out half way thru the session.[X(] What do you think?
Old 10-28-2006, 10:43 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

How much you put in can be very misleading without a baseline.
It is more important how much you can take out after flying.
If you can take nothing out, then you are flying beyond the capacity of your packs.
If you can take out 300maH at load, then you are OK.
As far as your readings, you charger could be terminating too soon or too late.
2000maH in a 1700maH pack that is FULLY drained is not a problem.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:16 AM
Ragz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How much would be the average discharge rate on an aerobatic airplane with 5 8411 servos? Maybe I can simulate this on my charger to see how much I can get out of the pack?

Also, what do the delta peak and mV per cell readings mean? Could that be making a difference? Should the peak sensitivity be increased so that battery charing stops earlier? If so, what figure needs to be changed in the orbit pocket charger?
Old 10-29-2006, 09:46 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

I'm not familiar with charger, but it looks like it is recommending an accurate mv/cell

small batts nicad 10 and nimh 4.5

large batts nicad 19.5 and nimh 7.5

No idea on the discharge of the servos, the mv is the amount of voltage drop when the battery gets full. Changing the settings may make a very small difference.