Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Problem charging Hitec TX

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 07:28 AM
spud4030

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem charging Hitec TX

I'm using a new MRC 977 Superbrain charger for NiMH and LiPo batteries, and it works fine. But when I attempt to charge the Optic 6 TX, it will not work. It shows an error, essentially no connection to the batteries in the TX. It won't begin charging until it can read the existing voltage in the battery pack.

I'm sure I have the wiring correct because I reconnected it back to the original wall charger that came with the TX, and it immediately worked fine.

Is anyone else using their bench chargers for TX? or is there some special circuitry within TX packs which will only allow the wall charger to function.

Help please.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:42 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Problem charging Hitec TX

Most transmitters have a diode installed in series with the charge leads to prevent possible damage should the exposed charge terminals become shorted. This does not prevent charge current from flowing but it does prevent accurately reading the transmitter battery voltage through the normal charge termindals. All peak chargers need to read that voltage to properly do their job. If you want to use a peak detecting charger on your Optic6, you need to either bypass the internal diode (nullifying the warrenty) or remove the battery for charging. The charger that came with your system will actually give you better long term battery life if used properly, just charge overnight each night before you fly.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:00 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts
Default RE: Problem charging Hitec TX

Radio South can install a poly switch which gives the protection of a diode by opening if there's a short but will allow cyclers and peak detection chargers to work properly and has the added advantange of not voiding your warranty.

http://www.radiosouthrc.com