Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

FMA is OUT of the LI-PO Biz????

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

FMA is OUT of the LI-PO Biz????

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 11:36 PM
GeneG
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMA is OUT of the LI-PO Biz????

Just got a message from FMA about a back order I have on some Cell-Pro packs. The message said "After careful consideration FMA Direct will no longer sell Li-PO packs and that they would not be able to fill my back order."

What does this mean for Cell Pro & Balance Pro Batteries and Chargers!?!?!?
Old 11-02-2006, 05:43 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Default RE: FMA is OUT of the LI-PO Biz????

It seems to me like there have been too many reports of fires due to carelessness. So, maybe that company wanted to avoid any potential lawsuits. It's just my opinion, of course.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 11-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Fred Marks

ORIGINAL: GeneG

Just got a message from FMA about a back order I have on some Cell-Pro packs. The message said "After careful consideration FMA Direct will no longer sell Li-PO packs and that they would not be able to fill my back order."

What does this mean for Cell Pro & Balance Pro Batteries and Chargers!?!?!?

THE ANSWER IS NO, FMA IS NOT OUT OF THE LI PO BUSINESS. FMA Li Po charging, control, and accessory products are available and poised to supply your needs for a long time. Please see:
(http://www.fmadirect.com/lipoMessage.htm)
Old 11-03-2006, 04:48 PM
uscra112

Cheap money drives out dear, as the old saying goes. Having dealt with FMA for some years now, it doesn't surprise me.

Fred Marks introduced us to Lipos on a commercial basis just a few years ago.

But, as often happens, others come along who are willing to cut corners, engage in hysterical hype rather than clear and honest advertising, or are rigged up to protect their assets by keeping them in foreign countries, and realize that the public can be led to believe that the product is actually a commodity, distinguishable only by price. (Lipos are not, witness the LARGE numbers of complaints on this and other web sites about certain brands - but how many people really know this?)

The manufacture of LiPos does not have a very high capital cost, so it's easy for anybody with a little capital, and a liability-lawyer-proof safe harbor in southest Asia or China, and the ability to entice distributors in the USA to carry their products, can jump into the business, and many have.

The result is that an American company like FMA winds up unable to sell sufficient volume to please it's supplier, so they have to leave the business.

It's a cardinal rule in US manufacturing to have a product that is difficult to replicate,

I mis-spent my college years training up to be an economist. Although I've worked in engineering ever since, (30+ years now), I've seen and even studied this in many, many different fields, from TVs to machine tools to automobiles to gardening tools to kitchen utensils to shoes.

I'm looking forward to see what Fred's little gang will come up with next. FMA has often been an innovator in the RC equipment field, and no doubt will continue to be.

Good luck to them!

Old 11-04-2006, 12:09 AM
GeneG
My Feedback: (11)

So FMA will continue to sell and support the CellPro and BalancePro chargers? In the message on your website you mentioned that there are pigtails for other packs. The website only has the ThunderPower/Polyquest adapter. Are there other adapters available or in the works? For example I remember seeing an Apogee adapter mentioned at one time but I have not seen that on your website since.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:19 AM
Fred Marks

[quote]ORIGINAL: GeneG

----- In the message on your website you mentioned that there are pigtails for other packs. -----

The pigtails have the CellPro connector to mate with CellPro and the other end is the cable end to splice or solder to any pack. This allows 100% compatibility. The adapters allow use with unmodified packs for 92% of packs in the field just by plugging in the oEM cannector. An adapter for Apogee is nearing readiness.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:49 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

FMA has put out some great products, not the least is my favorite lipo charger the CellPro 4S... This think absolutely rocks the house and takes lipo charging to the next level of ease and safety. No hype... just the facts...

I look forward to more products... perhaps a multi charger, or one that will charge the higher voltage packs for larger flight that inevitably is her and coming on strong. 12s please? (Though in reality it's best to charge 3 4s packs than to try and charge the "big dog" together.

As far as FMA lipos... the lipo business is a volatile market.... we;ve seen them come, manufacturers buy huge numbers, sell lots to dealers then NEW chemistry comes that makes the first obsolete... often leaving the manufacturer AND dealers with inventory that must be reduced even below cost to sell (i.e. dropping profit on the whole shebang... and sometimes losing money)

While FMA made great batteries... I see no "bad" in them deciding to not pursue that prodcut line in lieu of other, more profitable endeavors.

-J. David