Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Battery question...of course

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 02:09 AM
cyclejockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery question...of course

I have a li-po charger for my rotofly, just bought an EF Shogun used and didn't get a charger for the battery. The EF battery has two connectors, one to charge and the other to the receiver. Can I charge through the connector that goes to the receiver? I think it fits the roto fly charger.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:37 PM
bnrusso

Default RE: Battery question...of course

IF the new shogun pack is the same voltage configuration AND its ma capacity is equal or greater then the rotofly AND the polarity of the connection and the connector is the same. Then YES
If the rotofly was 2S 7.4V and the shogun 3S 11.1V? then NO!

You CAN charge a lipo battery via the connector that goes to the air frame (full pack charge) or via the balance port (individual cell charge) one or more cells at a time. BUT.............
It is important that the charger is designed to match the connector,polarity AND the pack AND the current rating.

I use a programmable charger that can charge either way depending on the settings and cell and pack.
You can charge a lipo at a lower current (ma) setting but it is not recommended to go above the mfg recommended charge current. Usually 1C.
Never charge a pack at the wrong voltage or polarity as this can ruin the pack and charger.
When charging via the balance port you have access to each cell or any combination of the serial connections inside the pack. This is why you must know the voltage and polarity of the connector before connecting it to any charger.
You CAN charge a pack with a lower current than its rating, it will just take longer.
Charging a pack with a higher than recommended current can cause damage.
Better quality programmable chargers have circuitry to test polarity, and voltage for li-pos but the current setting is often either manually set or a lower constant set current.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:10 PM
mikekomm
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Battery question...of course

If you contact us on Monday (Toll-Free) at 866-405-8811, we'll be happy to walk you through the process.

Mike
www.CommonSenseRC.com