Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Cold temps and NiMH batteries

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 12:05 AM
thomp896

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold temps and NiMH batteries

Just wondering, I have my planes outside in a trailer and the temps have dipped down in to the teens a few nights. I like to keep the planes in the trailer as long as I can before bringing them in for the winter. All my recievers have nickle batteries, will they be damaged in the cold temps? Thanks, Steve
Old 11-06-2006, 02:48 AM
marcellus

Default RE: Cold temps and NiMH batteries

Cold, damp storage caused black wire corrosion in my Tx and switch harness in the planes. Best to disconnect Rx battery, better still store in warm dry place. I doubt that the cold would affect the capacity of the packs permanently but you will find the run down quicker on a cold day.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:03 PM
richrd

Default RE: Cold temps and NiMH batteries

Its not the battery I’d be concerned with they actually store better cold. But do not let them run down then they may freeze and that is not good at all for them. Try to store between 30 to 60% charge then repeak to warm up and go fly.
I’am more concerned with the receiver they do not take well to thermal shock. If the trailer warms up every day then goes real cold at night this is very hard on electronics’ and their crystals in them. If the temperature is constant then all is well. I can tell you several stories of this phenomena caused by my barns attic.
Rich