Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Banana Plug power strip...will it work?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Banana Plug power strip...will it work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 11:14 AM
funkworks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banana Plug power strip...will it work?

Hey guys. I've been in the hobby for a while but am a little new to this electronics stuff. I've invested in a few chargers recently and I decided to build a banana plug power strip for fun. I thought it would be nice to have something I can plug my other chargers into and run from a single power source. Here is what I did. Got a metal project box and drilled holes for three sets banana plug female ends, an on/off switch, entry hole for wires going to power source and a fuse. I wired everything up and it all seemed to work fine The switch is from an auto parts store and is illuminated so it glows green when the unit is on. The fuse is the same blade type that my field charger and power panel use. I wasn't sure if I really needed a fuse but I thought I'd put one in the unit just to be safe. I only made it to accept three sets of plugs at once. I figured anymore would be an overkill. I've tried plugging in a few things at the same time and there doesn't seem to be a problem. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:21 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Banana Plug power strip...will it work?

should work fine, assuming that all your connectors and fuse are rated to appropriate amperage
Old 11-14-2006, 11:38 AM
richrd

Great next you'll want a AMP meter an then a voltage meter etc. etc. HEE HEE what a great hobby
Rich
Old 11-14-2006, 11:54 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Obviously a brilliant idea!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61684.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	560181  
Old 11-14-2006, 01:23 PM
funkworks

Here is a photo of my unit. Honestly, I wasn't sure what fuse to use so I just used the identical one that is required for my Hobbico Quick field charger and power panel.

Name:	Lj22290.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	560199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28601.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	560200  
Old 11-14-2006, 01:53 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Great idea. I cant believe someone hasnt marketed that one.
I run my chargers on a car battery and I just have to clip all my chargers to the battery terminals. This strip would make hookup to a battery or a DC power source a lot more convenient.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:35 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: funkworks

Here is a photo of my unit. Honestly, I wasn't sure what fuse to use so I just used the identical one that is required for my Hobbico Quick field charger and power panel.
Good looking unit, but may I suggest - keeping with convention, put the red (positive) at the top rather than under the black (negative). Of course if you define the top is where the power cord is then you do follow convention, red on right, black on left. It may be different south of the equator.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:26 PM
funkworks

picky picky

Thanks Red... I liked going thru your site too. I've been in the hobby for a few years and I've never owned anything other than the standard wall charger that comes with your radio until this year. Last Spring I sprang for a Hobbico quick field charger. Now, I just placed an order for the ICE charger after reading up on all the ones in my price range.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:43 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: funkworks

picky picky

Thanks Red... I liked going thru your site too. I've been in the hobby for a few years and I've never owned anything other than the standard wall charger that comes with your radio until this year. Last Spring I sprang for a Hobbico quick field charger. Now, I just placed an order for the ICE charger after reading up on all the ones in my price range.
That's how it starts. First an innocent wall wart, then something with a couple of buttons, that leads to a computer controlled charger and you are hooked - a charger junkie. Look what happened to me. See post above of charger bench.

Then you start charging your friends batteries, your neighbor's dust buster, the kid down the blocks scooter until you finally end up on the battery offender list.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:54 AM
TampaRCGuy
My Feedback: (282)

ORIGINAL: Gringo Flyer

Great idea. I cant believe someone hasnt marketed that one.
I run my chargers on a car battery and I just have to clip all my chargers to the battery terminals. This strip would make hookup to a battery or a DC power source a lot more convenient.

They have.

[link=http://www.rcaccessory.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=174]Click here for more information[/link]

Detailed Description
The Power Station is a multi-distributor that can transfer power from a power supply. Organize your wiring and utilize the convienient switches.

Up to 5 units can be connected to the Power Station. Three connectors come with switches and blue LEDs and can be used for units up to 10 Amps.

Two connectors come without switches and can be used for high current units up to 20 Amps. Mid-size alligator clips and 50cm silicon wire are attached. If you have more than 1 DC charger, this is your solution!

Old 11-15-2006, 07:52 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As an aside, many of the banana plugs available today are not worth tossing in the trash. I've recently been using plugs from Electronic Goldmine that I've been quite pleased with. They are well built, substantial, have plenty of metal, come in several colors, but are a solder only style. I've slowly been replacing my existing plugs with [link=http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G16003]these[/link]. I think we have a tendency to invest dollars in batteries, chargers and power supplies and sometimes overlook the hardware to get those pesky electrons from here to there.

BTW, I'm not associated with the company.

Name:	He97050.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	560676  
Old 11-15-2006, 08:56 AM
John Murdoch
My Feedback: (11)

Wow.. A box with all those connection points. Great idea. I get the same thing done a whole lot cheaper by using piggybackable (if that's a word) banana plugs.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
Old 11-15-2006, 09:02 AM
TampaRCGuy
My Feedback: (282)

ORIGINAL: John Murdoch

Wow.. A box with all those connection points. Great idea. I get the same thing done a whole lot cheaper by using piggybackable (if that's a word) banana plugs.
Not really. Each port is fused and 3 ports are switched. To some this is a lot of money. The people that have bought it, swear by it. To teach his own.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:06 AM
John Murdoch
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: RC Accessory

ORIGINAL: John Murdoch

Not really. Each port is fused and 3 ports are switched. To some this is a lot of money. The people that have bought it, swear by it. To teach his own.
Very, very true. For those batteryaholics that should be attending meetings somewhere, I can see where a switchable power panel would be useful. However, for the average modeler that hasn't quite gotten to the aholic stage, the stackable plugs work great for something like two chargers.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:33 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: Andrew

As an aside, many of the banana plugs available today are not worth tossing in the trash. I've recently been using plugs from Electronic Goldmine that I've been quite pleased with. They are well built, substantial, have plenty of metal, come in several colors, but are a solder only style. I've slowly been replacing my existing plugs with [link=http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G16003]these[/link]. I think we have a tendency to invest dollars in batteries, chargers and power supplies and sometimes overlook the hardware to get those pesky electrons from here to there.

BTW, I'm not associated with the company.
Good plugs but they have one small problem. There is always about a 1/4 inch of uninsulated metal exposed. Where they are used in sockets secured in a surface it is OK, but on leads that can move about they can spell trouble. A short piece of heat shrink tubing however would take care of the problem.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:33 PM
richrd

yea Iam with the stacking too.. all mine are at 3/4 spacing. They come with screw terminals in them, just put the wires in the side and tighten. Then just plug in then plug on top the DMM. etc. mine "Digikey" mostly covered so shorts have not been an issue. Also these make great loaded meters just bend the leads on the resistor and screw in, then I just plug in on top of meter and wallaa my own loaded meter. 100mA 250ma etc got a box full [:@] BUT lately the meters and ICE etc are not the America 3/4 spacing so I cut apart.[>:] oh well hard habits to break. On this subject is Anderson power poles also been addicted too on everything great to separate for current connection. Because if your bench doesn’t look like a bad science experiment what’s the fun.
Rich