Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Replacing Tx and Rx batteries

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 09:11 AM
Kevlar
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing Tx and Rx batteries

Not sure if this is the right location, but here goes.

When should you replace your batteries in the Tx or the Rx? Better yet, HOW do you know to replace them? My meter on the Tx reads 11.8volts and I get a fine range check. The Tx and Rx are about 6 years old with original batteries. Futaba T-6XA and T-6XH.

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:37 AM
marcellus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Replacing Tx and Rx batteries

My NiCds last for many years, sometimes well over six. My NiMh usually only 2 or 3 but I often fast charge them. I suspect yours are NiCd if you bought them 6 years ago.

The best way to determine the life and capacity they have left is to cycle them with a peak charger and see what capacity you can get in and out. If it's less than 80% of the original, renew them.

If you don't have such a charger two tell tale signs are:

High self discharge rate when not in use after a charge. You can see if the volts have deteriorated from the Tx meter. Mine drop to about 10.1 and then stay there, when not in use for a week or two.

Discharge in use much quicker than they used to.

It's easy to keep an eye on things for the Tx as you have a volt meter and yours show that the pack is charging to it's original voltage. With the Rx, you are in the dark.

The cost of replacing the packs is minor compared to crashing a plane and perhaps causing an in jury, so you're probably better off replacing them - unless you have the charger to establish their actual capacity.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:45 AM
Dr1Driver

marcellus is right. I have batteries that are over 5 years old and they perform perfectly. If you take care of your battereis, they'll give many years of good service.

Dr.1
Old 11-17-2006, 02:33 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Best way is to invest in a cycler like the Triton or Accucycle Elite, when they dont cycle to atleast 80 percent of thier rated capacity its time to replace them.

http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com has some good reading for you.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:40 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

THE best method is to cycle your packs and look for changes in there capacity holding ability.
I change all my RX packs after 2 years. I know there is internal damage from all the flights and vibrations.
I don't want the pack to fail while I am in flight.