Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Balance Plug Install Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balance Plug Install Advice

Pre-finding RC Universe, I purchased Kokam batteries without balancing plugs. I have since purchased the Cellpro 4S charger and batteries with balancing plugs. I thought I would install balancing plugs on the Kokams and ordered same from FMA. Reading the instructions gave me second thoughts about this. At one point, I built my own transmitters, receivers, servos and battery packs so feel confident in my soldering skills. Am looking for advice on whether or not it is worth the effort. And, if so, some cautions to follow and techniques to use in the disassembly and reassembly of the pack that would be beyond the information in the instructions I already have. The instructions can be found at [link=http://www.fmadirect.com/support_docs/item_1213.pdf]Node Connector Instructions[/link].

Any assistance will be appreciated.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:29 PM

Default RE: Balance Plug Install Advice

I think it's worth it. I've done it on a couple of my packs. It's always a good idea to double and triple check your double and triple checks =)

make sure you have the ground on the right side, and make sure that when you measure between any two adjacent connectors that you are getting your 3.0 to 4.2v. That will tell you if they are all in order or not. Really the only other tip is make sure that nothing shorts out when you are making them. Make sure you only work on one end at a time, and all the other ends are well insulated, and make sure when you connect them into the balance end that the metal prog is up enough that they wont come back out.

You might just be able to buy an adaptor cable. Which end does the kokam packs have? The normal ones are the jst, jst reverse polarity and the TP end.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:40 PM

The first battery I will try this with is the 1500 mAh 2S1P pack. I have the balancing connector I purchased from FMA that will interface with the charger. It is capable of doing up to a 4S pack. My plan is to solder positive to positive, negative to negative and the Node 1 lead to positve/negative connection between the two individual cells per the instructions. I will tin all three leads and solder only to already existing solder. I will cut off the Node 2 and Node 3 leads at the plug. I plan to use electrical tape to wrap everything back up and provide stress relief.

If this works, I will attempt the 3S pack. Will post the results when completed.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:27 AM

sounds good =) and no prob. best of luck with it!