Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How addicted are YOU?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How addicted are YOU?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 12:36 AM
rcrick10
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How addicted are YOU?

Hi my name is rick and i'm a recovering rc-holic. NO I LIED it's about midnight and still building, 32 planes in the garage triple layer and on RCU while epoxy cures. haaaa feels good to come clean!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2010, 12:37 AM
evlwevl
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: kitfox man

After 20 years my sweet wife will now call tower hobbies and order my planes for me when my phone dont get out at work.
Wow, your wife orders for you? I had the luxury of several local shops in the past around me but one by one they have all closed or carry very limited parts now. Most of my purchasing is done online after the wife has gone to bed or when I'm at work. I abandon my paypal account when I haven't sold anything lately and its empty and strictly use money orders as to not tip off the wife who does our banking. I hate sneaking around this way, but what else is an addict to do?

My addiction runs a little deeper, not only being a plane addict, but I've also been an RC car and boat addict with several $1,000+ offroad vehicles, scale crawling is one of the most expensive aspects of the hobby in which you spend tons of money to make something look realistic and pretty then to go drag it over jagged rocks and essentially destroy it. The biggest expense to surface vehicles is the constant upgrading which has happened in no part to the countless upgrades offered by the multitude of companies out there, now back to my planes. On the other hand, once I finish a plane, it's done, no further expense needed till I crash it, which hasn't happened in about 10 years. This justification to my wife that another plane is needed because they last so long has never worked. Lately, I spend more time on the simulators, both aircraft and on road racing to help satisfy my need.

I currently have 14 planes and 2 helis, about 7 in service. Unfortunately, I have had to slow down in my hobby purchasing lately after my wife has been out of work for almost a year, not to say I've stopped completely, I've just slowed down....remember, I'm an addict. I get those warm fuzzies just thinking of building a particular model, setting up the electronics, and flying it for the first time. My wife doesn't really even notice new stuff in my garage cause there is just too much of it to keep up with. My addiction has gotten so bad, that I have purchased some planes with no intention of flying them, I just like looking at them hanging up in my garage. If your like me, there is a rush I feel when I walk that new kit or RTF box up to the counter to pay for it, or when I see that box UPS just left at my door with something from tower, hobby people or whoever.

Now for the dark side of this addiction. I've gone out of my way in purchasing new planes/cars by hiding cash, lying about the purchase price, or slipping out to the hobby store after work and making up stories of where I was, you name it, I've done it. I finally got caught one day when I put $800 on our credit card for a new helil, so I only deal in cash now. I could sit here and justify every purchase but I wont, we know why we do it. Its the pack-a-day some guys smoke, its the case of beer every weekend, or the hefty green fee and golf club collection. It's what keeps me happy and sane in this crazy world where I feel I have little control on anything else but a toy plane.

PS. My future wants (needs) are an Eflite SR120 heli and a great planes Fling, oh and maybe an alpha or Parkzone F4U Corsair to replace my aging GWS model
Old 11-07-2010, 12:54 AM
airplanenut1
My Feedback: (19)

hi my name is Rick an i'm an RC addict it started about 8 years ago and hasent stopped since i now have at least 8 planes flight ready at all times with a futher 4 or 5 in the process of being built and then theres my helis and a couple cars around as well i've been tryin to pace myself i'm sure you guys know how it goes "i'm gonna finish this airplane before i even look at another" and sure enough here i am lookin thru the buy & sell sayin i can't pass up a deal like that and there i am clicking the offer button again
I have even turned going to the LHS into a game whats the lowest amount of money i can spend in one trip so far i'm down to $35.00 and that was rough i had to force myself to put stuff back and pick only what i needed for the week and i finally built racks so i can free up floor space to walk... oh who am i kidding i needed space for more planes but despite all this it is a great hobby and there are worse things out there that i could be doing i am proud to say i'm one of those who still builds kits and the occasional scratch build and i hope to fly till i die
Old 11-07-2010, 02:42 AM
bbrown2828
My Feedback: (76)

Hi my name is Blake I am a RC Additic.. I have been flying for 1 year this december...i have have over 15 planes at one time i had atleast 6 nitro planes that where flyable .. Now i have started to scale down to just 3 planes... I am going to all gas I fly way too much to be nitro fuel is so expensive now days... i am also going to just 3 planes because I can fly the three and get to know the aircraft anI d it will make me a better pilot... yes i have it a little easy me and the wife have different checking accounts so i can hide some of my purchases but everytime i get something new dang it if she doesnt come home go out in the garge and say hey that wasnt here yesterday when did you get that.. I am currently rebuilding a Wild hare edge 540 v2 50cc... I got a new cowling canopy and wheel pants for it friday that was a 140 bucks she hasnt noticed it yet hopefully she will just keep looking over it I kind of put int under the work bench so she wouldnt notice lol so Yeah I am addicted but I have slowed down I also will be a daddy in March gona have a little girl maybe she will go flying with me lord knows my wife wont lol
Old 11-07-2010, 04:03 AM
jetmech05

I am not addicted....I find that work gets in the way of my flying though......but without work I can't buy RC stuff......but I AM NOT ADDICTED.....much
Old 11-07-2010, 07:17 AM
billd76
My Feedback: (3)

I have two addictions, Rc aircraft and guitars. Of which I have way too many of both. I need help!!! The help I need is having time for both addictions!!
Old 11-07-2010, 07:31 AM
goirish

Hey Bill a true addict would quit work
Old 11-07-2010, 07:43 AM
goirish

I think that may not be a true statement. I would guess you would have to work to support the addiction.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:49 AM
stepsez
My Feedback: (11)

Hello My Name is Seth and Im a RC-Aholic ...
Ive been flying RC for about 10 yrs now, and I love it...the addiction seems to never end for me, Im always thinking about what I can buy, this year I bought a new trailer to haul all my planes, that was my biggest purchase for the hobby to date,but does not exceed my total purchases[sm=47_47.gif]..I keep buying them bigger, !rst was 60 size,then 120, then 50cc,75cc, next will be 100cc.
Im now looking at the JR 11x and Im trying to talk myself out of it cause the 9303 2.4 is really all I need..
Wow, I think I feel better now, maybe that will help me delay my 11x purchase..[sm=confused.gif]
Old 11-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Goran619
My Feedback: (2)

Yeah I know how it is with the rest of you, my wife gave me permission to get into this hobby in march of this year I currently am trying to pay off my credit cards but it is painful when i have money available on the card and i dont buy a kit or some engines to eelectronics. I lie to my wife about how much some stuff is unless she is willing to buy it for me for a present but everything I buy I hide the money tell her it cost me half of what i spent or i will just hide whatever i buy. When she does find out I tell her its her fault anyways for letting me get into this hobby....... that doesn't go over to well And why are kits getting harder and harder to find? Is it just becoming a lost art?

Old 11-07-2010, 08:08 AM
inf3rn0gt

Wow, I really feel better about myself now... no planes (yet, that is what I use realflight for) but I have been through 4 helicopters, and right now in the shop I have a converted to electric HPI Savage, Nitro Savage, Hpi Blitz, Hpi Crawler King, Losi Mini -T Ofna buggy, an onroad car, Kyosho Inferno GT hmm lost track, oh yeah an HPI Baja SS I am at something like 4 Nitros, 7 Electrics and the 1 gasser.... I want a plane come spring.... Plus I bought my son a sweet e-savage so we can drive together, I gave him a Tamiya TT-01, and he also has a Mini LST (and he is only 6 !!!!!)

Damn.....feels goo to get it out, but now that the little man walks around with R/C magazines it may explode... in fact the wife muttered yesterday, "Great now there are 2 of them with cars..... great....."
Old 11-07-2010, 08:12 AM
clpahodges

I currently have seven planes ready to fly, a total of 41 engines, 31 kits and 2 large boxes of plans and I have been in model aviation for 51 years.

Yep, totally addicted with no plans to change!!

Bill Hodges
Old 11-07-2010, 08:31 AM
flystright
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi my name is Greg i'm an RC addict it started about 4 yeasr a go I love build I have started so mamy projects i dont know were to begain to start to finish. Need help...
Old 11-07-2010, 08:33 AM
THERCAV8R
My Feedback: (283)

Hi, My name is Robert. I have been addicted siince birth. I am 54 now and been flying R/C 40 years. My kids have grown up and moved away and I dont have anything to spend my money on except Airplanes. My Basement is full and I need a bigger house. I don't know how many planes I have but my wife does...ENOUGH!!!. Its only been since yesterday at the Nashville swapshop since i bought something. I am going flying now. Happy Landings.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Springer
My Feedback: (1)

Hi my name is Scott and I am an RC Addict.... I was in recovery for almost ten years but a friend said "just one flight. What could happen?" I'll tell you what - 9 planes ready to fly. 1 kit and 3 ARFs waiting to get built. On a recent business trip I went to Hong Kong for a day and a half. I had a list of the local shops and planned to try to sneak away to get my fix. The Guided tours took way too long and I never made it. The withdrawal pains were horrible. I picked up an almost new Saito 115 in excellent condition yesterday. I thought that would hold me a while and then that damn Tower sent me discount codes. Now I am wandering around the boards looking for an idea for my next buy.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:02 AM
RogerParrett

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

I found out there was a hobby store not far from where I work/live, so I went to check it out. They had a little [link=http://www.electrifly.com/parkflyers/gpma1132.html]foamy[/link] plane that looked pretty cool. I told myself I'd wait, think about it, etc. and have not been able to stop obsessing over this stupid $60 piece of foam since.

I bought it yesterday, but said I'd wait and hold off on the electronics - it's getting cold outside, no need to spend the $$$ right now, I'll wait 'til I've got the right system planned out, etc.

I just ordered all the electronics this morning.

I really would like to try to get ahead a little in life, but so often there seems to be a 'one time purchase' in RC that I can't seem to live (happily) without. Just bought a simulator, bigger TX battery, foamy and electrics...

It will never end. At least I worked a couple of hours OT last week which offsets the coast of the foam [&:]

Hopefully your stories will make me feel a little better about myself[&o]
Or maybe they'll help me justify a $50 RX to save 10grams of weight [:@]
Hey Joe,

Look at it this way....

1) Given your soon-to-be vocation, think of this as simply "tuition"... lol.

2) If your girlfriend complains, just remind her that RC is the perfect hobby from a girlfriend's perspective: (a) Generally there's no other women around, (b) No alcohol allowed at the field, and (c) When it gets dark, everyone goes home...

As for me, I try not to go to my LHS without adult supervision...lol.

Best.... Roger Parrett / Dayton (Centerville) / OH
Old 11-07-2010, 09:11 AM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just bought a Xoar laminated 20x6 for a project that i am working on............well, just ordered 2 more, why?........cuz they're so pretty................you'll also notice that my RCU sales are mostly 2 for 1 affairs.......there, so now y'all know
Old 11-07-2010, 09:24 AM
fritzdecat

I'm a partially recovering RC-A holic 

Some expensive crashes moderated my "Add to Cart Finger Impulse"

I think at one point I was very addicted to the arrival of a new plane from UPS

Bringing the giant double box into the house, ripping off the cardboard to 

reveal the shiny box of the brand new airplane and then   the rush you get when you finally pull out the plane and start thinking about putting it together...was very addicted to that

Old 11-07-2010, 09:42 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Hi my name is Arnie, I admitt I am addicted, I currently have 5 planes, when I am not flying I am in the simulator, in the internet, either here in this forums or in the market place, if not on e bay looking to buy cheap RC stuff.
Some times I have to go to work, think about it, you have to make more money to be able to buy more RC stuff.
I belong to 2 clubs, one is never enough in this addiction.
After I am done with my last plane I already have in mind what I want next.
If there is not enough storage room, you dont ever think of getting rid of some of them, noooo. I think of how I am going to make more room for them.
Not enough room in the car to transport them? Bought a truck. I am already looking at a trailer.
Like many of you I cheat on my wife, I show her the price of the arf and let her beleive that is the total cost of the plane.
I hope I never get caught.
If somebody finds a cure for this addiction, please dont tell me I do not want to be sane
Old 11-07-2010, 10:07 AM
DGUY
My Feedback: (9)

My name is Derrick and I am an R-C addict......whewwwww I fill better. Now back off to the buy and sell section, it is a good thing that there are so many "Local pick-up ONLY". If not for that I would be in serious trouble.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Why is R/C so addictive anyhow? I have been addicted for 25 years. Ever since my dad and I would go to the local field back in the early 80's and watch the .60 sized ballistic pattern flyers! Loud pipes, Kraft radios, orange and black color schemes....I was hooked. I don't even want to think about what I've spent over the years. But yes, I'm addicted. Bad. Nobody else in my circle of family or friends "gets it," if you know what I mean. And since getting married and recently having a baby, it's been so painful forcing myself to curb spending. I REALLY want that Horizon Phoenix 7, but man I can't justify it when I've switched mainly to electric. Still, I go to bed thinking about it. And then there's all these new Parkzones, I want every one of them, but have to resist. It sucks! I really would like to get help, maybe that new anti-addiction medication (Naltrexone) can turn it "off." I'd seriously be willing to give it a try if the doc agrees to it.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:25 AM
billd76

ORIGINAL: flystright

hi my name is Greg i'm an RC addict it started about 4 yeasr a go I love build I have started so mamy projects i dont know were to begain to start to finish. Need help...
Just send the ones not finished to me. I'll finish and fly them for you!! Is that a deal or what!! [8D][8D] At least you would be caught up!!
Old 11-07-2010, 10:46 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Those are 3 good reasons for our women to like the hobby. I have more
4. When I am not in the field I am in the garage, so she knows where I am all the time.
5. It is expensive but still cheaper than "another women"
6. We are so hook up to this that we dont have time to even think about cheating.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:07 AM
kitfox man

Hey i should open up a RC-Aholic school i would get rich . I could buy all kinds of rc planes
Old 11-07-2010, 11:11 AM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi I am Tony with 22 years. I am an addict! I have 11 planes I can take to the field and fly. A new 120 size corsair on the boards getting a gas engine and almost done. A King Kobra going through "rework" ie new covering this time fiberglass and paint and upgrades(retracts). A JHH Mirage ducted fan almost done. A Sig Kobra going on the boards next. For a new 25 I picked up. I fly electric to my 116 inch Davis D1W gas powered. I have a bunch more in boxes and in various states of rework. And boxes of engines needing homes.

I still "want" another 60 size "old school" pattern ship. I have a brand new Rossi 61 RE or an OPS 60 RE that needs a home. I lost my Phoenix 8 last year when it blew up in midair. "To old, I should have redone it but I kept flying it." The wing just exploded. To much stress. Ah but so fun to fly.

Well got to go the sun is shining and the wind has died down time to make some calls to see who is flying today. I will take the radio that works off sunlight and listen to the Lions "upset" the Jets today while we are flying. Ahhhh! What a life! Crisp fall air, flying airplanes, and listening to football can it get any better?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.