Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Trojan 28d question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Trojan 28d question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 05:53 PM
jsngnn22
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trojan 28d question

I am very new to RC, I was at my LHS the other day to look around, and I walked out with a new Trojan 28D BNF, (I have the dx6i), and the phoenix simulator, which has my trojan on it. I have since logged about 10hrs on the simulator doing nothing but touch and goes, I promise I do have a real life! I was just getting to the point where I thought I was ready to go fly the real thing, when as luck would have it, the owner of my LHS, gave me a brand new unboxed Supercub LP!! Sweet I know..... Anyway, after this much sim time, is the Trojan something a beginner should try to tackle, or should I just unbox the Cub and fly it for a while? Also will my sim time on a trojan help me with my Cub? Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:20 PM
LargeScale88

Default RE: Trojan 28d question

I would start with the Cub first. The Trojan is a low wing aircraft, and the Cub is a high wing aircraft. The trojan would be a good second airplane if you have practiced alot with it on the sim, but I'd start off with the cub. Cubs are so easy to fly, its a type of sit back, relax, and just fly around. Although a first airplane should have a little dihedral in it, the cub should be just fine. I would get an instructors help or someone with flying experience for the first few flights, because it is a little different in the real world then the sim.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:45 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea, Cub first
Old 12-11-2010, 12:32 AM
jetmech05

get an instructor first....a sim is just a sim, it helps out alot but it in no way subistutes for an instructor
Old 12-11-2010, 06:05 AM
G.Barber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fly the Cub! I still bring mine out to the field after owning for a year, and I love it. The Hobbyzone Super Cub LP is still one of my favorite planes!
Old 12-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Missileman

Word of caution with either plane.
The real deal will be quit alot different than the sim. In the sim the control throws are all perfect and the plane is trimmed out.
You are going to have your hands full the first flight you certainly don't want to deal with a plane that wants to bank sharply on takeoff or an elevator with too much throw.
My best advice is to have an experienced flier take your plane up for the first flight. Most any of the people I have flown with would be happy to help.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:15 AM
Delta3

I wouldn't fly any of them first up. I have 3 Trojans, the Parkzone electric, the Black Horse 90 size and the seriously big Black Horse for a 120 motor. Everyone has their preferences, mine is for tripod set up, don't like taildraggers at all. Having said that I have just finished building a World Models Super Sports with a 120 OS FS in the nose. I might not like tail draggers much but I am going to learn how to handle them.

For what it is worth the first thing you need to do is find a club and go and see what goes on out there, ask a lot of questions and watch what goes on. This is the real world and if you crash it hurts in the pocket and the confidence. Can't press the space bar and start again. Simulators are usefull but out at the field with changing wind, weather conditions and all sorts of variables it is a very different experience.

Start with a high wing trainer, ask lots of questions, watch what others do and you will be off to a good start.