Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First plane.

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First plane.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:02 AM
cjcollins82

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First plane.

I decided to get my first plane as cheaply as possible so that I could make sure this was something I wanted to do. Iwent with the parkzone micro P-51 because it was the only 4 channel RTF at my hobby shop that was electric. Idid a bunch of research on 3 channel vs 4 channel and I just felt that I wouldlike to train with 4 so that my second planecould be a bit more advanced. I am hoping to go nitro with the second plane. (the Hangar9 P-51 PTS)Was getting the micro a bad choice?
Old 12-28-2010, 01:01 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: First plane.

I am thinking there are better choices to learn with. You may want to get hooked up with someone that knows how to fly RC. Good Luck, Dave
Old 12-28-2010, 01:06 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but those choices have a high probability of hitting the ground quickly. Everyone wants to learn with something that looks sexy, but trainers were designed for a reason. They are necessary. Maybe try to find a local club and get in touch with one of their instructors. I am sure they will have a plane that you can fly to try it out.
I am a flight instructor with my club. If you were to approach me, seriously, I would give you a test drive. Good luck as well. You can use the AMA website to locate clubs in your area. Hopefully this helps
Old 12-28-2010, 01:07 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Getting a micro wasn't a bad choice, but getting a 4-channel P-51 might have been. This is NOT a forgiving plane in any size and it's that 4th channel that get's most newbies in trouble.

The reason for this is; people tend to think that ailerons control turning, they do not. They are USED for turning (in conjunction with the elevator) but they control the ROLL axis.

So to make a turn, you bank the plane's wing with the aileron, then hold it level throughout the turn with the elevator. If you want a tighter turn, you use more aileron and more elevator. It's sort of a balancing act.

The problem is people tend to tighten the turn by adding more aileron. This causes the plane to ROLL more, not TURN more. So they add MORE aileron until the plane rolls past 90 degrees, then it starts to drop, so they panic and pull UP elevator - but now the plane is beyond 90 degrees, so UP becomes DOWN and before you can say, "uh-oh..." the plane is toast.

The best thing to do is the find someone who is a GOOD, experienced flier to give you a few lessons
Old 12-28-2010, 01:10 PM
ChuckW

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iagree, maybe not the best choice. The little micro planes are neat but the can be a little more difficult than larger planes. They tend to be "twitchy" have a hard time outdoors except of perfectly calm days and so on. You'd be better off with an airplane intended more for the beginner pilot in my opinion.

Now, having said that, it isn't like you went out and bought a giant scale, gas powered Mustang. If you want to give your little micro a try, you won't be risking tons of money and there is less chance of hurting yourself or someone else. Just don't be surprised if it gets frustrating at soem point.

Getting into a local club with experienced flyers is almost always the best way to go.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:13 PM
skypiratescotty
My Feedback: (32)

Although a P-51 is an incredible plane, both models and full scale, they really aren't a biggeners plane. The low, somewhat thin wing makes them fast and top heavy. I would reccomend a high-wing with a flat bottom to start. Getting hooked up with an instructor is just about a must. Once you learn to fly it is incredibly fun and learning to fly slow is easier. Good luck!
Old 12-28-2010, 01:39 PM
800moder

Well this is just an opinion and you take it or leave it but..... A P-51 is not a great first plane, or second, or maybe even third. A micro for the most part does not fly even close to a say 40 or 60 size gas plane. They are fun to mess around with in the back yard but as far as learning to fly.....? Go to the local hobby shop and find the nearest club. Our club has a beginners night and they will teach you to fly with the clubs planes. The first 3 nights you can try it for free and then decide if you want to join and get your own plane. The biggest thing that is hurting the sport is company's selling a plane that "GUARANTY YOU WILL FLY ON YOUR FIRST TIME" They don't guaranty how long the flight will be (most about 3.7 sec.) it crashes and you getdiscouragedand junk it, they sold a plane, too bad for you. Trust me i know about trying to do it as "costeffectivelyas possible" so maybe try this... craigs list type in " RC" and some times has someone who bought the GUARANTY to fly and is willing to sell cheap.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:40 PM
cjcollins82

Thanks for the input guys. This purchase was recent (last week) and Ihavent been able to fly it yet. Ihave flight experience in real aircraft, which is probably what led me to my decision, but I assume this to be a much different challenge since there is no "seat of the pants" feel involved. Iam on the search for my local club and someone with someRC knowledge!!
Old 12-28-2010, 02:46 PM
Missileman

Not only is there no seat of pants but you are faced with the controls being reveresed every time the plane is flying toward you.
Real plane experience helps but not as much as you would expect.
The small P-51 you have will be a handfull even for an experienced RC pilot but the Hangar 9 PTS is a doable trainer WITH HELP.
It is specifically designed to tame out some of the worst characteristics of most RC warbirds. It is still a bit more difficult than a typical high wing trainer.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:22 PM
gene6029

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Your local hobby shop where you bought the P-51 should have advised you better for a first plane. Alls not lost though, since once you find a local club and get some flight experience on a buddy box and trainer, you can allways come back to the 51. Im afraid if you go ahead and attempt to learn on what you have, you wont have it for long and only get discouraged. Most clubs have a trainer ready for people like you and an instructor just waiting to share their wealth of information. If you take the time to learn with an instructor you'll solo much sooner than trying it alone. Welcome to the hobby! I hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as i have......Gene
Old 12-28-2010, 06:55 PM
dakoris73

I thought the Micro P51 would be an awesome plane too, and since I had just recently solo'd at the time, figured it would be an easy plane to fly cause it was small and had 4 channels. However, my first flight ended up costing me a new prop/motor, second flight cost me a new wing and glueing of the fusalage.... again, third flight, a little longer than the first too, but ended up again repairing the nose and tail feathers....... about this time I was getting really really frustrated...... handed it over to one of the other pilots and they were able to fly it just fine........ but me, seeing as I didn't have enough flight time under my belt, found it really really twitchy, unbalanced, and not able to be controlled comfortably....... and now, even a year later, it still hasn't been out of its box.

I guess my point is that even if you do get solo'd on a trainer, this little micro is still quite a handful. You will need to have quite a bit of experience on the sticks to be able to handle this plane as is from the box with the little radio that comes with it. I've heard that on a DX6i or DX7 with expo, it becomes a bit more controllable, but still need to have a bit more experience flying before trying this again.........

2 years later, I'm still in love with this hobby, and loving every minute of it. Good luck, find a club and instructor to get your feet wet, and enjoy the thrill and excitement that this hobby provides.

Dax
Old 12-28-2010, 07:17 PM
DeferredDefect

There seems to the a common misconception that smaller aircraft are easier to fly - not so.
In fact, almost any small trainer will be more suceptable to wind and turbulance to a much higher degree than a comparative larger trainer. Most of the small electric trainers I have flown are twitchy and not forgiving at all.

Your best bet would be with a large model - although it sounds counterintuitive. I learned on a Sig Kadet Senior with three channels, the second model being a four channel Kadet. Both are outstanding models to learn on.

In all honesty, the cost is not much higher either. A used glow trainer might cost you 200 dollars with an engine. A cheap radio, or a used one at that might cost 75. This added with the fact it will last longer, makes for better value. The engine and radio can be transferred to your next model, while a micro cannot.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Graeme
Old 12-28-2010, 07:37 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ7300

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKVhamT4JiE&feature=related[/youtube]
Old 12-28-2010, 09:33 PM
DenverJayhawk

Not the best choice, but since you already bought it, get some help from an instructor and go onward. Once you destroy it (matter of time), look at some other RTF options that are a little larger in scale.