Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Gyros

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 05:47 PM
SushiSeeker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gyros

Fundamentally, I know what gyros do, but I have never played with them. Why would I want them on my airplane?

If I had 3 on my U-Can-Do (one or each axis, Aile, Ele, Rud) could I just point the nose up and automatically hover?
Old 01-17-2011, 09:22 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Gyros

You could make them maintain the same attitude, but that's not the same thing as maintaining a hover in air that's always moving. The typical use of gyros in planes is to smooth out takeoffs on planes with bad ground handling.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SushiSeeker

Fundamentally, I know what gyros do, but I have never played with them. Why would I want them on my airplane?

If I had 3 on my U-Can-Do (one or each axis, Aile, Ele, Rud) could I just point the nose up and automatically hover?

IMO you would only want a gyro if you wish to fly on auto-pilot rather than personal skill.

As an airline pilot I flew my airplane from start of roll to cruise then through trimming, then on auto-pilot for 20 minutes then by hand to retrim. When any climb or descent was instituted, it was by hand through the landing. My military days aircraft never had auto-pilots. [:-]
Every so often I had a new co-pilot that wanted to be glued to the auto-pilot. By the end of the month that young person was doing more hand-flying than auto-pilot and was very happy about his new found skills.

So take it from there. It's just a matter of pride!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:44 AM
opjose

Yes and I've seen it done.

However, why?

There's no skill in letting your plane hover itself, and you can run into all sorts of problems if you leave a gyro turned on at the wrong time.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:46 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The only plane I have ever flown with a gyro was a Fleet Bipe with one on the rudder. The owner installed it to help with take offs. When I flew it the problem was it fought you when you were flying, a very odd feeling. Once it was put on a TX switch so it could be turned off after take off it worked very well. To me that would be the only reason to bother with one.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:09 PM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it can be done with the likes of Heli Command on rc helicopters, surely you'd be able to modify it and make it do just that on a plane!?!?!?
Old 01-17-2011, 04:39 PM
SushiSeeker

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

IMO you would only want a gyro if you wish to fly on auto-pilot rather than personal skill.

As an airline pilot I flew my airplane from start of roll to cruise then through trimming, then on auto-pilot for 20 minutes then by hand to retrim. When any climb or descent was instituted, it was by hand through the landing. My military days aircraft never had auto-pilots. [:-]
Every so often I had a new co-pilot that wanted to be glued to the auto-pilot. By the end of the month that young person was doing more hand-flying than auto-pilot and was very happy about his new found skills.

So take it from there. It's just a matter of pride!

I'm an engineer, so I am interested in the technology of how things work and what can be done. I agree however that the implementation detracts from the ultimate skill of flying.

I saw a Youtube video of a guy flying a rather astable AC with vectored thrust. Gyros might be a solution for making scale military aircraft more stable in flight while still giving you maneuverability. As I was looking for this video, I found a guy testing a 3 gyro hover in his garage.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9yd8WTOerg]Hover Video[/link]
Old 01-17-2011, 07:08 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't mean to be a pill about it, but that video is a display of nearly everything a guy can do wrong with an RC plane. He isn't in control of it, he's flying in too small an area, he's grabbing the plane while the prop is running, and then, surprise surprise, he breaks it at the end.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:49 PM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me it takes the challenge out of it and that challenge is what is fun for me. My goal is to have that perfect flight from start to finish. It has thus far eluded me and I could probably achieve it with the help of gyros, but were would be the fun in that. On the other hand the practice and concentration on making that perfect flight has made me proficient enough that I am comfortable flying just about any model handed to me.

Most people have trouble even with a lot of practice, because while practice is important learning flight physics is equally important. If you don't truely understand what is causing the problems you face, how can you overcome them? Using a gyro to overcome a design or setup problem will only lead to even more problems. If it is just a pilot control issue then understanding what is happening during all stages of T.O., flight and landing will allow you to practice the correct timing, amount, and type of control inputs.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:35 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: cfircav8r

To me it takes the challenge out of it and that challenge is what is fun for me. My goal is to have that perfect flight from start to finish. It has thus far eluded me and I could probably achieve it with the help of gyros,
Doubtful.

You should see what happens to a plane during a turn when a rudder and elevator gyro is left on. It's not pretty!

Old 01-18-2011, 06:17 PM
cfircav8r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would be a heading hold setting, some can be switched off heading hold and the rates turned down for use during normal flight. So if used properly they can be used to stablize the A/C through all phases of flight, but again can still cause issues, if they malfunction, and takes away the opportunity to hone your skills.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:41 AM
rdl77

anybody here tried using a orange rx 3 axis gyro on a delta wing set up? cant seem to figure the correct set up. elevator gyro works but ailerons do not, instead of a counter reaction on a roll, it goes the same way instead of opposite
Old 07-30-2013, 08:48 AM
AMA 74894

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it sounds like you need to use the reverse 'dip' switches on the stabilizer unit for the aileron channel.
you've got V 2 with Elevon firmware?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...elta_AUX_.html
Old 07-30-2013, 08:53 PM
rdl77

hi, if i use the dip switch for the aileron on the stabilizer unit, it moves like a elevator. yes its the v2 version

ORIGINAL: AMA 74894

it sounds like you need to use the reverse 'dip' switches on the stabilizer unit for the aileron channel.
you've got V 2 with Elevon firmware?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...elta_AUX_.html
Old 07-31-2013, 01:29 AM
rdl77

here's my setup: hk phazer kx arf version
- dx6i in normal mode (no mixing, elevon inh) as instructed by gyro manual. servo reverse switch all in normal mode
- hk orange rx 3axis flight stabilizer w/ built in dsm2 rx (all dip switch in normal mode except delta switch)
- left servo in ail-L slot
- right servo on elev slot
- esc on throttle slot

on this set up, elevon works perfectly when controlled vi tx but gyro will do the ff:

- when nose down, gyro will do elevator up, on nose up, gyro will elevator down. this is correct
- when roll to left, gyro will also roll to left instead of the other way, same with roll to right, gyro will roll to right.
- when dip swith of aileron was put to reverse, when roll to left, both control surface will elevate up by gyro, when roll to right, gyro will elevate down both control surface.

when i reverse my ail/elev on tx, aileron will be elevator and elevator will be aileron.

so what am i doing wrong

Old 07-31-2013, 02:08 AM
davo580

I don't use one on any of my planes I think takes the skills away. take your time to set your planes up right
Old 07-31-2013, 04:20 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Heck, why not use gyros for all three axis, and setup to fly your airplane autonomously. that would be exiting, I think that would be so much fun I might just fall asleep...

Bob
Old 07-31-2013, 04:47 AM
rdl77

need the gyro to smoothen the flight for video purposes. i can fly it without gyro with no problems
ORIGINAL: davo580

I don't use one on any of my planes I think takes the skills away. take your time to set your planes up right
@sensei: as stated, its a delta wing/flying wing, no use for yaw.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:53 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

It was just a joke...

Bob