Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

stupid electric motor question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

stupid electric motor question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 06:47 PM
matt491

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stupid electric motor question

I'm researching my second plane (flying a hobbyzone super cub now) and I have a stupid question about electric engines.
I'm looking at two planes, one has a "15 size brushless outrunner motor" and the second has a "480 size 960kv brushless outrunner motor". Which is more powerful?

Does anyone have a chart they can post or a link to a list of engine sizes and their power output or list them in order of least powerful to most powerful?
Old 03-16-2011, 07:00 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: stupid electric motor question

15 is bigger, the smaller motors run up to around 400, 450, 480, after that, the bigger ones start at .10 size then go up.

10 15 25 32 and so on. The 2 digit numbers signify the approximate power of a 2 stroke nitro engine.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:39 PM
matt491

ORIGINAL: scooterinvegas

15 is bigger, the smaller motors run up to around 400, 450, 480, after that, the bigger ones start at .10 size then go up.

10 15 25 32 and so on. The 2 digit numbers signify the approximate power of a 2 stroke nitro engine.
Hmm, thank you very much!
So based on what you've told me, it looks like the 480 is probably the better second plane! And here I thought it would be more powerful and NOT be a good second plane!

For the record, I'm comparing the E-flite apprentice 15e and the parkzone T28D Trojan.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:57 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

The apprentice is 14" wider and 10-15 oz heavier. Even with the bigger motor it might not be faster or "more powerful". I would buy the T-28. They fly great stock, and most hobby shops can get parts faster. Two of the LHS I go to stock most the parts on the wall.

Plus, when you get tired of the stock T-28, just add a E-flite power 15 or 25 and a APC 11X7-E and it will fly like a newer/faster plane.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:42 PM
matt491

ORIGINAL: scooterinvegas

The apprentice is 14" wider and 10-15 oz heavier. Even with the bigger motor it might not be faster or "more powerful". I would buy the T-28. They fly great stock, and most hobby shops can get parts faster. Two of the LHS I go to stock most the parts on the wall.

Plus, when you get tired of the stock T-28, just add a E-flite power 15 or 25 and a APC 11X7-E and it will fly like a newer/faster plane.
I've been leaning more and more toward the t-28. I already have a transmitter and the t-28 comes in a BNF where as the apprentice doesn't. I've read the t-28 is docile enough to be a good second plane (or first plane with ailerons) but still peppy enough that it can be really fun when pushed a little.