Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

WIND,WIND,WIND

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

WIND,WIND,WIND

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: WIND,WIND,WIND

Not much wind here in Vegas today but I did have to go out and move my lawn stuff back to where it belongs. If the wind moved my big BBQ around, and yes, the wheels are locked, then it should give you an idea of what the last couple of days were like. I have been watching a storm come in this morning. It was just raining, about 10 drops, maybe 20 now? All should be OK for tomorrows swap meet and BBQ at the field. Looks like we will get in some stick time. Oh Crap, it's snowing here!!!!!!!!!!!! And the wind just came up again?????? Spring time, go figure???
Old 04-09-2011, 10:46 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, my plane may not KNOW it's windy, but it has a pretty damn good idea concerning that very subject.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:03 AM
larryak
My Feedback: (32)

That aint nothin. Out here the wind gets so bad that we have whitecaps in our toilet bowls.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: larryak

That aint nothin. Out here the wind gets so bad that we have whitecaps in our toilet bowls.
Funny thing is the difference in the weather between Havasu and Vegas being as close as we are. This year we went to the float fly there. Cold, over cast and windy here. There at the lake the sun was out, nice and calm, a perfect day to be at the lake. When we got home it was back to the cold and wind. Great float fly too!! Some nice planes and a pretty good vendors area. All of us that went will be back again for the next one. That was a fun day.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Tarasdad

Yesterday it was snowing in Tehachapi, about 20 miles from where I live and 1500 feet higher. We had biting cold wind and overcast, but no precipitation. This morning when I was packing the car to go to the flying field the front windows (in the shade) were solidly frosted over but the back windows (in the sun) were perfectly clear. Only a very light intermittent wind until about 10am when it turned into a stead 6mph westerly. Turned out to be a beautiful morning for flying!

Oh, and Oberst, of course I'd wait until your gear was out! I'm a cheapskate, sure, but not a total cad! Rebuilding an aircraft like that would be well worth it to me since I enjoy the building process as much as the flying.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: blueapplepaste

Same here, winds only ~15mph, but gusts up to 30mph. 15mph no problem! 30mph gusts, not so much.
I agree. A 15 mph wind as long as it is not bursting gust from 15-30 there should be no problem. Also, if the wind is not blowing to crossways it does make for a better flying day. I can still do crosswinds, but I just don't enjoy it as much as I do if it is more down the runway.

Sometimes I go out and folks don't even fly because it is windy and I am constantly flying. After you fly some in the windy weather you tend to learn how to handle it. I have brought my plane in almost completely sideways and then just at touchdown take it out of crab and set it right down. It is even fun practicing those landings.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:35 PM
p51Dpony

Well my airplane doesn't know it's windy, he never did seem too bright!
Old 04-09-2011, 11:46 PM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: larryak

Oh yea?!!! It's so windy here in Upstate NY, the fowl know how to fly backwards.

Original: Tarasdad

Oh, and Oberst, of course I'd wait until your gear was out! I'm a cheapskate, sure, but not a total cad! Rebuilding an aircraft like that would be well worth it to me since I enjoy the building process as much as the flying.

Garbage Picker!

Pete
Old 04-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Tarasdad

ORIGINAL: Oberst

Garbage Picker!

Pete
Darned right!
Old 04-10-2011, 05:22 PM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, you guys sent the high winds this way!! I didn't fly today.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Gray Beard

Must have been us. Today was beyond perfect. Yesterday we had winds on and off and two light snow storms. Well, snow storm may be the wrong term, a few flakes. Today was calm, shorts and tee shirt weather. Had the club auction and BBQ at the field. Plenty of fun for all and a lot of stick time.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:38 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

The real reason for all these high winds is the high pressure over Washington DC due to the hot air being generated by the politicians right now.
I can attest to that!

I was flying outside of D.C. today, and there was a steady breeze coming from the Capitol.