Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Remember...the only dumb question...

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Remember...the only dumb question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2002, 10:55 PM
dreimer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remember...the only dumb question...

Is the question not asked...

I am just starting out in the Heli world, and have never even started a glow engine...what do you all suggest??

By the way, I have raced electric cars. My dad sent me one of his Shuttle ZX's with a Enya 32.

I remember him starting and running planes in the UC days, but that's it...
Old 04-15-2002, 12:00 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

first thing, goto the closest hobby shop and talk to them, they can help you and get you setup with a starter, glow ignitor, fuel, and some hands on looking over the machine.

Good luck
Old 04-15-2002, 12:07 AM
dreimer

Already been there....They gave a quick once over, and I have a 12 starter, a power panel (Hobbico) and a 12v battery.

One of my most pressing questions is, there is a "Glow Plug extender" on the plug, and it goes to a sort of "secondary" plug where I can get to it easier. My question is: Doesn't the plug require 2 leads from the power source? I am assuming yes, with one lead on the nipple of the plug and the other on the base of the plug, correct? The extender is clipped on to the nipple part, and there is another lead on a metal chassis part...

Will this work to light the plug? Also, I hooked up the 12v battery to the power panel, and there is a amp meter, and pot to adjust amperage. When the 12v is hooked up, the meter shows nothing...I checked with a "Real" multimeter, and the voltage and amperage are all there. Also, it seems that the pot does nothing...Am I missing anything?
Old 04-15-2002, 12:10 AM
JohnVH

If you hook it up and get nothing either the plug is bad, or its not getting a full connection, try connecting straight to the plug itself

Also, should have posted this thread for some help in the heli forum, will get alot of help there also!!
Old 04-15-2002, 12:20 AM
dreimer

Wow, the world is small...I'm in Sultan, WA.

Is the chassis enough of a ground, or return? If not, where should the second lead go? I have a short glow plug clip on thing, but it still is too large to fit...I'll keep trying...

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-15-2002, 01:26 AM
Mighty Mouse-RCU
My Feedback: (145)

You are right about the "ground" . The remote glow plug is adapter is what it is called. Since the threads of the glow plug are connected or screwed into the head of the engine, the engine and anything metal touching it will act as the negative side circuit. If your glow starter is the portable kind, you just connect it to the remote plug and it will heat the element on the real glow plug assuming it is good.

Now for your panel question, You should have a number of bannana female connectors if it is a standard power panel. Some power a starter like yours, another is either a 12 volt and 6 volt fuel pump with on/off switch and direction switch, which changes the fuel pump to either put fuel in the tank or suck it out. Below the meter is another set of bannana sockets that you can plug in a glow plug initer that runs off your 12v battery. The pot or dial controls the current to your glow plug. If you have one of those glow plug igniter plug it in there and plug it into the remote. Be sure to turn it down all the way before plugging it in. THen turn it up to the green area and that will heat the element.

I say all of this just to familiarize you with the panel and remote glow starter. But I strongly encourage you to find someone to help you get started. Find the local flying field and get some help from a heli flyer. If not you are bound to get frustrated. I suspect crashes, will be common if no help. These things can be a bit pricey to repair. GOod luck.
Old 04-15-2002, 01:42 AM
dreimer

I got the plug part to work...now....my problem seems to be the belt to start the thing...it has a pretty good cut in it. Where can I get replacement belts or something that will work? I tried the local shops, and they are more car or airplane focused, and would have to order it. I figure if THEY have to order it, I might as well, and save a few bucks too...

Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the help...I kinda figured this stuff out at the same time I was asking, but the reassurance always helps.
Old 04-15-2002, 02:05 AM
JohnVH

Tower hobbies will hook you up, as will any heli store, or boats for that matter use a starting belt.

On the glow plug thing, I wouldnt bolt it to the head bolts, maybe a mounting bolt or something...