Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Landing gear

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Landing gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2002, 10:10 AM
lekkaut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Landing gear

Hi,
I'm trying to find out where to place my landing gear. I know when it's too much to the back de plane will flip over when landing but is it bad when it's too much to the front?
Old 04-14-2002, 01:29 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Landing gear

You didn't say whether this isa tail dragger or trike gear. If it is a tail dragger, put the main gear just a little in front of the CG. If you get it to far forward, it will be more difficult to take off and will tend to bounce on landings, to far aft and you will be constantly nosing over durring taxi. If it is a trike gear, put the main gear just slightly aft of the CG, to far aft and you won't be able to rotate for takeoff without excessive ground speed. Also, on trike gear, keep the amount of movement on the nose wheel to a minimum, not more than 10 degrees left or right.
Old 04-15-2002, 01:04 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Default Landing gear

Taildragger... with the aircraft level attitude (as if flying) the axle for the mainwheels should be approximately under the leading edge of the wing. That is a good reference to start.

Many low-wing taildraggers (such as the 4*) the mains are ahead of the leading edge by up to 1/3 the distance that the CG is behind the leading edge, and that's pushing the forward limit. (if the plane is "squirrly" on the ground, put a wedge between the dural and the fuselage and that will move the axles to the rear and help out) I wedged my 4*40's mains 1/8 inch at the front and its much nicer on the ground now.

Trike gear... the mains should never be behind the trailing edge of the wing. Usually 1/2 way to (or a bit more to the rear) between CG and the trailing edge works out correctly.

If a trike plane refuses to rotate, lengthen the nose strut 1/8 inch at a time until the problem's solved.

For most models... the nosewheel should be mounted to the firewall... further back can cause "pogo-stick" landings... where you can't prevent a small bounce from resultinng in the nose jumping higher each bounce... results in the nose getting ripped off the plane almost every landing.
Old 04-15-2002, 06:42 AM
lekkaut

Default thanks

thanks you guys. It's a taildragger so I got all the info I needed. I am actually putting my 4* landing gear on my first trainer (Colibri) because it's landing gear really sucked. I hope it won't cause any problems when flying.

greetings,

richard