Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Byrun Fuel Anyone?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Byrun Fuel Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 02:17 PM
foosball_movie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Byrun Fuel Anyone?

Anyone used Byrun Brand Fuel?

I'm going to give it a try.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:40 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Byrun Fuel Anyone?

When the original Powermaster company when down Byrons came on strong with competitive pricing and I made a bulk buy of Byrons 15%. I think I still have four cases yet.

Works fine for me both two and four strokes.

One point definately in their favor the poly bottles are far better than some of the competitors and I have had no leakers, something that is a problem with some of the companys.

John
Old 06-05-2011, 05:18 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

You can't go wrong with Byron fuel. I drive to Sacramento to get it when I run out and pay the couple extra bucks. Never need after run oil, and I agree with the bottles. I have one gallon that was 2 years old and still as good as new unopened.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:23 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have used it in the past and was very happy with it. I just don't see it often in my area other then a jug here and there once in a while so it never comes up on sale. I haven't ever had a problem with any of the name brand fuels.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:42 AM
CGRetired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have lost out two local hobby shops, and have to drive a ways to get to one that may or may not have the fuel that we normally use. Not for the brand of fuel, but anything more than a quart of whatever he may be carrying at the time. Our former LHS's carried Byrons, and S&W brands.

We do a club buy with the folks in the Salem NJ club. They go up to S$W at Tatamy, PA in large van and buy it by the case. So, we stock up on that. I've been using S&W 15% nitro methane with 20% oil blend for years now, mainly because, when they were around, our LHS's carried that, and now, obviously becasue that's what we can get most easily.

CGr.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:17 AM
goirish

we also buy a drum of S&W 15% full syn. Have for 2 years now. Great fuel. About 10.00/gal delivered
Old 06-06-2011, 03:26 AM
CGRetired

Yeah, several of our pattern folks had been buying it in bulk like that then spend the afternoon dividing it up into gallon gugs. My instructor, Ron, was always asking me for my empty fuel jugs.. ha..

Lately, though, two of the crowd have gone over to completely electric pattern, even the large 2 meter ships (now that's quite a trip to see these things fly on battery power). Aaaanyway, I believe they have reduced their quantity of glow fuel to cases rather than by the drum as of late.

I don't know what's more expensive. All the support apparatus for electric.. and believe me, they have a bunch of stuff.. Honda generators, high powered power DC power suppies, large copper bar strip charge buss'es, extravagant voltmeter setups, infra-red temperature gauges, and so on. At about $12.50 a gallon, is what I paid last year, for S&W 15%, well, it would take quite a few gallons to come to the cost of just the Honda generator (they like the Honda cuz it's quiet) plus all the other stuff. Anyway, this isn't about electric power, it's about fuel.

I never heard anyone talk about bulk purchases of Byrons, although I would imagine it's available.

Then there is home-brew, which really chops the price.

CGr.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:48 AM
Oberst
Banned

I like S&W as well.

Pete
Old 06-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Gray Beard

We had one member that would be going by the Power Master plant twice a year on his vacation. On his way home he would stop by and buy a pallet of the 15% and get a super price on it using his retail license. He would sell it to his club members by the case and if there was anything left over he would sell it to the LHS. Just something to think about. It really is a big price saver. Check with the different manufactures and see what you can get the price down to if you buy it in bulk and find out what they charge to deliver too. They may have a drop off point you can drive a pick up truck to and pick it up yourself. Just food for thought.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:09 PM
CGRetired

Now, there's a deal.

CGr.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Desertlakesflying

We have an LHS that would be more than willing to order Byrons, but they always want a 8 case minimum from him.

I think that is why so many places just don't carry it.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:01 AM
DaneMcGee

Byron is great fuel. I use nothing else.

My LHS closed that used to stock Byron so I had no choice but to buy direct from the factory in case lots.

Sure I pay a few bucks premium but I have zero problems with the fuel. I use total synthetic heli fuel for my combat engines, never burnt up an engine, never use after run oil, no rusted bearings.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Desertlakesflying

They told me I could only order drums factory direct, and the post above about my LHS.

If it was a little easier to get for the small shops more would carry it. Maybe someone from Byrons will see this post and make some changes.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: CowboyLifesaver

They told me I could only order drums factory direct, and the post above about my LHS.

If it was a little easier to get for the small shops more would carry it. Maybe someone from Byrons will see this post and make some changes.
You know, Byron is a good fuel but so are all the other name brands. I like Power Master, never had any problems with it but I'm not brand loyal, if I find fuel on sale and I can get it at a cheaper price I buy it. Next big weekend Hobby People will be having a sale. They usually put the Wild Cat 20/20, the 15% with 16% oil { I add a bit of klotz to that blend, the Hobby People 15% and the Power Master 15% on sale at the same time. If one brand is hard to locate then any of the other brand names are good.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:05 AM
CGRetired

I won a couple of gallons of Wild Cat at a club fun fly event. It was equally as good as the stuff I had been using, S&W 15% nitro with 20% blend. I stick to S&W mainly because that's what I'm used to, but also because it is available through our club mutual buy with the Salem NJ club direct from S&W.

CGr.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Desertlakesflying

ORIGINAL: DaneMcGee

Sure I pay a few bucks premium but I have zero problems with the fuel. I use total synthetic heli fuel for my combat engines, never burnt up an engine, never use after run oil, no rusted bearings.

This is one of the reasons I am brand loyal to Byrons, and wish they'd get it together on their quantities.