Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Beginner's 2nd Plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Beginner's 2nd Plane

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 09:17 AM
Muffinman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner's 2nd Plane

I am assembling a Sig Senior Arf as a second plane to fly around after I solo on me Sig LT-40. I was using a JR 421 for the trainer, but I have since bought a JR 662 for later planes. I am to the part in the Senior's completion that I am installing the servos for the Rudder, Elevator, and Throttle. What I must decide is if I want to try Flaperons on this bird or just go with a Y-harness to attach the Aileron servos to the Receiver. Your suggestions on which to use would be very helpful, before I move on. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:23 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I dont think the Senior will benefit much from flaperons, but since you have the right radio to do it with why not.
It might be fun to play with on a windy day and give you some set up help on future prodjects. The only thing to watch on this is the amount of flaps you put down. if you have them to far down in flight you could lose most of your AILE control. This can be corrected with rudder but sometimes a new guy wont think of it in time.Just start out with small deflection of flap and you should be fine.later daveo
Old 12-17-2002, 12:44 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

The computer radio has many more fuctions than your old one. You're gonna wonder how you ever got on wiothout one!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] At least I'm assuming your old one was a plain old radio..

Go with a separate sero on each aileron..

But I am somewhat curious, to why you chose the Senior, and not something a little more advanced? Such as the 4 Star series? Don't take me the wrong way, but most beginners are eager to shed their trainer once they solo..

I guess you're a bit like me: Wanting something predictable, and easy going.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-17-2002, 05:52 PM
Muffinman

Hi Dr. W, Actually, I got the Senior on sale, 20% off. I used to like low winged warbirds. Could never get one to fly. Then I tried a Comet Gull, high winged rubber model. It was the first model that would actually fly for me. So I became enthralled with them. I have a Mid* 40 I will start building after the holidays, and that will be #3, followed by a 4*40. I like building, but have to go slow since I continually do something wrong. If I get flying alright next Spring, and work my way through the 4*40 by next Summer, I have a Sig SE Arf to finish, then do a Kit of the SE, for my 2nd SE. I started models when I was about 4 years old during WWII with cereal box war birds with a penny in the nose for balance, twirling them on a string. I've crashed more models than I can remember, but I finally have an LT-40 that will fly, if I can learn to fly it. My favorite lhs was closing it doors, so I bought the Senior really to help the owner get rid of his inventory. It's really too big for my car, but since the wings can stay two piece, I should be able to stuff it in someway.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:07 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Haha!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Finally, someone like me. Just loves to build, and flying is somewhat second! you've got a great line of kits to build. I cannot say anything bad about Sig, and their kits. Love them!

Good luck to you, and post some pics during your build!
Old 12-18-2002, 05:26 PM
Al Stein

<hr>Finally, someone like me. Just loves to build, and flying is somewhat second!...<hr>
We're a small club but a good one. The built-up Kadets are a pleasure to build... enjoy!

Old 12-19-2002, 07:29 AM
Muffinman

Thanks for your comments, guys. But I'm not totally a Sig person, I have several GP kits or ARFs, a H9 US40, and a bunch of ThunderTigers. I think after many years I finally figured out why I like planes so much. I just turned 64 on 12/17 and that is also celebrated as Wilbur and Orville's date with destiny, plus I am only a few miles from Dayton, OH, also, so I get to go over to the USAF Museum when I need a flight fix.