Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Battery storage

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Battery storage

Old 06-11-2011, 10:47 AM
ppkk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery storage

I have a number of batteries, mainly LiPos but also a few NiMHs. I usually keep them in the garage where my workshop is (I keep the LiPos in charge bags when stored for safety), but the garage can get pretty hot in the summer, north of 90's and can stay at this temperature for a long time. I am wondering if this heat is enough to shorten the life of my batteries and whether I should move them inside. My specific questions are:

- Would a sustained 90+ temperature shorten battery life
- Can LiPos fail when stored for long periods of time?

If the answer to the second question is even remotely yes, I would rather not take the chance and will keep them in the garage.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Battery storage

ORIGINAL: ppkk

I have a number of batteries, mainly LiPos but also a few NiMHs. I usually keep them in the garage where my workshop is (I keep the LiPos in charge bags when stored for safety), but the garage can get pretty hot in the summer, north of 90's and can stay at this temperature for a long time. I am wondering if this heat is enough to shorten the life of my batteries and whether I should move them inside. My specific questions are:

- Would a sustained 90+ temperature shorten battery life
- Can LiPos fail when stored for long periods of time?

If the answer to the second question is even remotely yes, I would rather not take the chance and will keep them in the garage.
Lipos can be stored for long periods of time.

When you buy a lipo, how long has it been sitting on the dealer's shelf ? From the factory,
lipos typically have 1/2 of a charge - for instance a 1,000 mah battery is charged to 500 mah.

FWIW - I store all my lipos at 1/2 charge. I fully charge them, then hook up to a plane (with a wattmeter in line) and run them down to
1/2 charge.

Go to Red's Battery Clinic http://www.hangtimes.com/redsbatteryclinic.html You will find just about any (all ?) information you
need/want for lipos, nimh, nicads, A123, etc.