Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Shaky Hands

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Shaky Hands

Old 07-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Gamerjoe
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaky Hands

Iam a 100% beginner when it comes to RCplanes. Ijust decided one day to purchase a Hobbyzone Supercub trainer plane at my local hobby store and Iam really excited about learning how to fly this thing. Ihave completed 3 semi-flights so far, and have had a hard crash, which Ireapired with hot glue no problem. The main issue that Iam experiencing is that my hands start shaking real bad as soon as Ilaunch the plane. Icannot for the life of me get them to calm down. This has never happened to me before, and Iknow for sure that I can control the plane much better if my hands were calm. Has anyone experienced this odd phenomenon, and how did you resolve it? My guess is that maybe Ineed to have a few drinks before Istart flying.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:13 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Shaky Hands

first rule of flying no drinks before flying.
then go to your local hobby shop and give the simulator a try it helps with the nerves and with the crashing as well.
if it seems to help then buy one and practice on it you might find your skills and confidence improves.
then you can have a few belts after a fun day of flying.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:19 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Gamerjoe

My guess is that maybe I need to have a few drinks before I start flying. [img][/img]

it can help but i dont recommend it [8D] best thing to do is practice till it becomes second nature
Old 07-12-2011, 03:31 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

LOL No caffeine drinks before flying. Lay off the Mt. Dew man!

Next have some one with a buddy box help you out until you can get your adrenalin under control.

This is normal though. You'll lose it once you get used to the plane. Then you get cocky.

You'll always have this on maiden flights. You just learn to control it.

I did have a really bad problem last year with it. I was flying my RC helicopter and my left hand started shaking bad. I couldn't control rudder and throttle. I put the throttle in a slow descending setting and took my left hand off the stick. I landed the heli with just my right hand. The next week I broke out with shingles on my left side. That virus was messing up my nerves on that arm. It didn't show normally but when a heightened state of precise control was needed as when flying RC it was too much for the infected nerves.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:38 AM
Live Wire

Use a neck strap to support your TX, that way you are not gripping your TX and your hands can relax. Makes a lot of difference when you are learning and get the shakes.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:46 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have a buddy who flies, pass him the Tx and let him fly it while you skake out your arms and relax for a few seconds. Then take over again.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:51 AM
SharpProp

ORIGINAL: Live Wire

Use a neck strap to support your TX, that way you are not gripping your TX and your hands can relax. Makes a lot of difference when you are learning and get the shakes.
I second this! Neck straps definitely help.
Also, not sure that hot glue is the best glue for repairs. Might be ok for the super cub, but I would keep an eye on the glued area to make sure it doesn't come loose.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:34 AM
sylvie369

Ican't imagine flying without a neck strap (though I notice that OPdidn't say whether or not he's using one).

When do the shakes begin?Can you slowly work them out, concentrating on the hands while the plane is taxiing, or something like that?

Do your hands shake any other time?(that is, outside of when you're flying R/C)?
Old 07-12-2011, 05:37 AM
AmishWarlord

Yeah where just assuming that it's the adrenalin rush wile doing RC. Hopefully it's not something full time medical.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Neck straps are dangerous; it's just a matter of time until one gets caught in a prop. A transmitter tray is safer, and it also gives you a surface to rest your hands on, which a neck strap doesn't. Robart (I think) used to make a cheap foam tray that did the job.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:38 AM
Kaos Rulz

First Welcome to RC Universe.
Second Those shakey hands will decrease with more experience which nets more confidence. I've been at this hobby for 50 + years and occasionally still get the "shakes". Usually lasting a short period when flying a maiden flight. So stay the course and enjoy the hobby.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Gamerjoe

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and the votes of confidence!

Iwas pretty sure that drinking and flying should not mix.

Just to ease some concerns, I have only experienced shakiness like this one time in my life, and that was when Ihad to stand up in front of about 300 people and do a presentation at work. The shakiness is definitely due to nerves going haywire, probably because of a "fight or flight"adrenaline rush that my muscles can not cope with.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:51 AM
AmishWarlord

ORIGINAL: Top_Gunn

Neck straps are dangerous; it's just a matter of time until one gets caught in a prop. A transmitter tray is safer, and it also gives you a surface to rest your hands on, which a neck strap doesn't. xxxxxxxxx used to make a cheap foam tray that did the job.

No don't tell him that! Transmitter tray is OK to recommend but if you say go get a Roxxx one, he will look it up and go strait to Quick Tech Hobbies! We don't need new guys getting screwed by them. The Roxxxx trays haven't been made in 12 years there is only one place that even has them listed on the net much less say's they have them in stock. Yeah Right.

Transmitter trays don't work well in America, you'll have to move to Europe and buy a tray radio to use them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83333.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	1634321  
Old 07-12-2011, 08:56 AM
AmishWarlord

Actually I wonder how well Europeans would do trying to hold a radio like in their hands and fly with their thumbs?
Old 07-12-2011, 09:14 AM
pdm52956

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

ORIGINAL: Top_Gunn

Neck straps are dangerous; it's just a matter of time until one gets caught in a prop. A transmitter tray is safer, and it also gives you a surface to rest your hands on, which a neck strap doesn't. xxxxxxxxx used to make a cheap foam tray that did the job.

Transmitter trays don't work well in America, you'll have to move to Europe and buy a tray radio to use them.
I'm not about to disagree here but the question becomes why don't trays work will in America? Is there some strange phsyical force of nature present here that isn't in Europe?

I have a number of friends that fly with a tray and you would be hard pressed to convince them that it really isn't working for them.

Personally, I use the strap but it won't ever get caught up in a prop. I don't put the tx on until the plane is started so it's never near that prop.

It might be best to let the OP come to his own conclusions rather than tell him what does or doesn't work. It is after all his choice right? Provide some options and let it go.

By the way, I think that everyone's hands shake on occasion. To me, it's a sign that I'm still breathing, not to mention that the rush from flying sure beats the rush from watching TV.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:40 AM
archie05

I would have to say that if you only get the shakes in your hands, you are pretty lucky. I get them in my hands and legs whenever I maiden a new plane. Cant control it at all and the guys with me get a good laugh.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:47 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

I use a tray about all the time. He might just have the beginner shakes which will pass with stick time, but the tray will help with the tenseness. I can hold the trans. either way, but I am much more relaxed with the tray. I can't grip comfortably grip the trans., but the tray lets me concentrate on flying the planes. Especially the quick movements of a snap roll, etc. Trays are a little pricey but will last a longtime. A handy person could build their own.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:02 AM
AmishWarlord

ORIGINAL: pdm52956

I'm not about to disagree here but the question becomes why don't trays work will in America? Is there some strange physical force of nature present here that isn't in Europe?

Yes, that force is know as the "Event Horizon" Wile there are some cases of it in Europe you don't see it in mass like in America.

Anything that falls below this horizon is lost.

Name:	Xv64826.jpg
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	1634362  
Old 07-12-2011, 10:21 AM
hookedonrc

Based on your number of posts, I am guessing here that you are trying to learn on your own. If you can find someone, or a club that is near that can help you get going, it can make all the difference. It's much easier to learn with the plane already flying and several mistakes up than trying to star off from the ground. Everyone's hands shake at some time or another is my guess. Mine do when I start rolling a new plane for takeoff.....
Old 07-12-2011, 10:32 AM
tryingagain

I think it should be pointed out that unless the radio is upgraded from what comes with the RTF there is no lanyard ring on it. (Unless the radio has changed recently.) So unless you want him to hot glue one to the Tx that is not going to help.
I suppose a tray could be made to work but the bottom line is practise and experience. When I first started, I quivvered so badly even my lips were twitching. Did a simulator help? Maybe a little. Unfortunately I still new the difference when took off with a real plane.
Keep plugging the Cub is not a bad place to start you can beat it up and fix it with packing tape. It is too bad but I don't think that radio has buddy capability either.
Do yourself a favour find a club to get involved with. Having someone who knows what they are doing beside you helps a lot. I learned just by passing the radio back and forth between me and the instructor.
No matter what you decide......Good Luck and have Fun!!

Cheers

Gord
Old 07-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Get a RC tank.  They are much harder to crash, that lowers the stress level.

I grew up in Diamond Bar, a long time ago.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:54 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Anxiety is the cause. Number one rule when getting into RC models is to stay away from powered aircraft. Start with a three channel foam glider. Have another launch it off a high start or winch. You will not be afraid of crashing and quickly learn left and right and up an down. Use this approach and you will stay in the hobby. I have seen to many new commers crash and never come back. Buddy boxes and simulators are a waste of time. Get into silent flight and transition into powered flight from there.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:26 AM
at101

I have never heard that theory before. Did you learn using this method?
Old 07-12-2011, 11:37 AM
pdm52956

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

ORIGINAL: pdm52956

I'm not about to disagree here but the question becomes why don't trays work will in America? Is there some strange physical force of nature present here that isn't in Europe?

Yes, that force is know as the ''Event Horizon'' Wile there are some cases of it in Europe you don't see it in mass like in America.

Anything that falls below this horizon is lost.

Name:	Hf10128.jpg
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	1634388  
Old 07-12-2011, 11:48 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Don't worry as you get better and the planes get bigger the shaking will move to your knees. Dennis

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.