Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Electro Stik Battery

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Electro Stik Battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 01:56 PM
mrcoolpop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electro Stik Battery

I have the Electro Stik and for some reason I cannot keep a good working battery. I've been using a Turnigy 4000mAh and it seems to work for a while then crap out. Can someone suggest another batter that can keep me flying.

Thanks,
Old 10-16-2011, 02:46 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Electro Stik Battery

Before anyone can suggest a replacement, perhaps couple of questions are in order.

First, how do you fly it? Are you taking off with full throttle and keeping it that way?

Second, how much do you tend to control the aircraft? Do you use a lot of control or do you let it fly by itself once in a while?

Both will consume a battery a lot quicker than if you use throttle control and minimize the control inputs to the control surfaces.

You probably take off with full throttle, which most of us do. But, with electrics, you really have to learn to back off and think ahead so that you are not adding more throttle and correcting movements on the sticks.

These are just suggestions for you to help you conserve your battery pack.

CGr
Old 10-16-2011, 02:54 PM
mrcoolpop

Sorry if I wasn't more clear on my question. The flying is ok and not a problem. The problem is with the battery taken a charge. After a couple of flights on these batteries just fail to charge on my Triton Eq. Therefore I am looking for another brand to use.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:17 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

1 single question can account for many. How long do you fly one pack?

A secondary question is helpful , how much capacity are you using during that flight and/or how much capacity is replaced when charging.

2 other questions are begged to be asked.

What do you mean by "crap out"?
What do you mean by "fail to charge"?
Old 10-16-2011, 04:28 PM
mrcoolpop

When I charge it up everthing is good. I get about 10 mins of flying but, this is only for about 4 or 5 flights. On the 6 flight which is a couple of days later the battery will not take a charge. Sometimes they start swelling up which is an indicating it has gone bad. This has happen 5 times with the brand I mention.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:57 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you tried a Watt meter to see how many amps you are pulling from the pack? Sounds like you are drawing more then the pack can handle.

Can you list your setup, motor, prop, ESC?

The batteries that have swelled, what is the their rating> 20C, 30C?

Buzz.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:07 PM
guver

If you are using most of the capacity in 10 minutes then an average of 6C is being pulled. This should really be ok for 20C packs. Another possibility is that they are being discharged too low. It may be a combination of being discharged too low AND too fast. If they are hot when done then they are being discharged too fast and higher quality packs are in order. I have an idea that this may be the case since they are puffing after 5 flights.

I'm a bit amiss to diag this online , but if you never exceed the voltage limits of 3.5-4.2 volts/cell then the only alternative is over current. What do you mean by "will not take a charge"? Packs do not have much choice. Do you mean they have reduced capacity or punch perhaps? Perhaps they have a high level of self-discharge?

A secondary question is helpful , how much capacity are you using during that flight and/or how much capacity is replaced when charging.

2 other questions are begged to be asked.

What do you mean by "crap out"?
What do you mean by "fail to charge"?

Old 10-16-2011, 06:53 PM
mrcoolpop

When I say they do not take a charger is, when I hook them to the charger I get an error. This is a result that the battery is bad. Now back to what you said earlier, the battery is extremly hot when I finish flying. This is what I have in the plane: Rimfire .25 and a 45A Brushless ESC 5V/2A BEC.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:09 PM
guver

This sounds like it is a case of packs that aren't quite up to par for the load being imposed on them. I would suggest any (actual) 40C packs. Perhaps acepow or sky lipos would be nice yet still cheap. If your Turnigys are at the lower end of the "C" rating then the higher rated Turnigys would be a lot better.

I suppose I am going to have this same problem when I put my stick together and I had an idea that it was a batery hog. I planned on using some turnigy packs that are good for 50 amps or so (if they will fit and work) I'm guessing you are averging about 20 amps or so during flight. By rights , even the cheapest Turnigy 4000 packs SHOULD have held up ok. Not sure why they didn't.