Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

should i get a sig somethin' extra?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

should i get a sig somethin' extra?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 08:15 PM
flyinglogan14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i get a sig somethin' extra?

so i have been flying for a couple months and im 15 and i have a trainer and a .40 size cessna 182 and at my local hobby shop there is a sig somethin' extra ready to go only flown 3 times and i t comes with servos and engine i will buy a 2.4 reciver for it because it has 27 mhz on it currently anyways i am looking for opinions on the sig somethin' extra ... how does it preform is it a good plane?
Old 10-17-2011, 10:25 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: should i get a sig somethin' extra?

Ya know Logan the something extra is a classic and and can serve well as a move up the skills ladder. It very well might work well for you.

One red flag though that sticks out like a sore thumb. And that was when you said it has a twenty seven mhz rx in it. Now I know that the idea is to just get a new Rx for it but a 27 in it is very unusual and a direct indication that antiquated eqipment was installed when built.

I would want to know exactly what the servos are if you were planning using them its even possible that they may be non compatable without a plug change and thats a hassle.

You also never indicated exactly what the engine is, I would recommend you find out what you are buying before making a purchase.

John
Old 10-18-2011, 03:27 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could the 27 be a typo? It would concern me. That airframe is a classic, and it can be a super handful if you start right out with full throws. Listen to John, though, as the build could be quite old. Good luck!
Old 10-18-2011, 03:36 AM
flyinglogan14

i dont understand what you mean by it is so unusual and im pretty sure that i can put a 2.4 reciever in it because i think he has futaba s3004 servoes in it but thats my guess because thats what he has in most of his stuff i meant 72 not 27 i guess so if that clears some things up
Old 10-18-2011, 03:53 AM
JohnBuckner

Indeed that typo indicated that very antiquated electronis may have been used and that is not all that uncommon as folks will pull out equipment that they may have been storing for a lifetime. That is what could have caused problems on many levels however the sevos you have are contemperary and indeed will be usable with most any modern Rx's.

Still no word of what engine is yet though, Need to know the make and the model series if avaliable.

Back to the SE as Bingo Field indicated they sure can be a handful but they can tame down beautifully with 'Setup'. That setup is the key though and this is were a lot of folks mess up a bit. This is why its important to get an experianced flyer to help you get a good calm setup, this include throws and CG. Get these wrong like so many do when they first get them then they will have a tiger by the tail.

So if you have a mentor availible then sure go for it.

John
Old 10-18-2011, 10:11 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Yes, buy the Somethin' Extra.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:21 AM
carrellh

I agree with Big Ed. If it seems like a decent deal, get it. I've seen the SE fly, never flown one myself, and the pilots love them.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:13 AM
JohnBuckner

Well yes but the deal breaker could well be the engine of this airplane that is supposed to be rx ready.

There has been no mention of what the engine is. I have seen many of these used airplane deals go sour because of a garbage engine.

So Logan have you identified the engine yet. You did ask for input?

John
Old 10-18-2011, 01:04 PM
flyinglogan14

it is a supertiger 40 and i dont know the condidtion but the plane itself being flown 3 times i assume it is new as well being he owns a hobby shop and it is priced at $260 i believe with the 72 reciever and transmitter but i would switch it to 2.4 because i have a futaba 6ex

Old 10-18-2011, 01:27 PM
JohnBuckner

OK cool Logan. The Super tiger could be a reasonable engine. Do keep in mind and do not hesitate about asking the seller LHS or private seller about things like the engines.

Just because the airplane was only flown three times and is obviously fairly new means nothing about what engines may be used just like the electronics, in fact I would say the new airplanes that receive old engines far outnumber those that also get new engines.

Another point to remember in used airplane shopping is the fact that just because an airplane has 'only been flown three times' is not neccessarily a plus. It frequently may indicate that the airplane may have been over the original builders flying skill, or the airplane may have been poorly setup and balanced for example.

Its not unusual for example that the best flying examples sometimes are often flown airplane consided beaters by the original owners. Thats a good thing.

If you get the airplane seek out a mentor to help you with the all important setup - Never ever depend on the setup of a used airplane.

John
Old 10-18-2011, 01:35 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about seeking out a mentor before you buy it. Have your mentor do a tech inspection of the plane. How well or poorly has it been built. Are the controls in good shape. Are things straight. How's the static balance. If you don't know someone right now - contact a local club and ask for help. Maybe you can look up other RCU members that live near Souix Center IA - PM them - maybe they would be willing to help you.

Good luck
Old 10-18-2011, 03:17 PM
JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: SeamusG

How about seeking out a mentor before you buy it. Have your mentor do a tech inspection of the plane. How well or poorly has it been built. Are the controls in good shape. Are things straight. How's the static balance. If you don't know someone right now - contact a local club and ask for help. Maybe you can look up other RCU members that live near Souix Center IA - PM them - maybe they would be willing to help you.

Good luck

That of course Logan is the best plan of all.

John
Old 10-18-2011, 03:23 PM
Mr67Stang

Is this the ARF SSE or the Kit built SSE? Either way if it was built right it is one of hte best funfly planes ever designed. I have a kit new in box waiting untill I have al the mods decided upon and I have the time. I had the ARF and it was great. I still wonder why I decided to sell that plane.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:45 PM
SeamusG

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

Is this the ARF SSE or the Kit built SSE? Either way if it was built right it is one of hte best funfly planes ever designed. I have a kit new in box waiting untill I have al the mods decided upon and I have the time. I had the ARF and it was great. I still wonder why I decided to sell that plane.
That's easy - so you'd have to BUILDone.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:47 AM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: SeamusG

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

That's easy - so you'd have to BUILD one. [img][/img]

Well maybey instead of HAVE to built one I did it so I COULD
Old 10-19-2011, 02:52 AM
mike109

G'day

I have one at the moment which I built from the kit. It has an old but powerful Enya CX45 in it. Flies well and better than the first one I built. Actually it flew OK but was slightly out of trim on the first flight and even with quite small control throws it was a bit of a handful until I got it trimmed. Then I dialed in some exponential (about 30% on the ailerons) and suddenly it was very nice to fly.

I am no 3D flier but I quite like flying the SSE on low rates but on high rates it is really too much for me. The roll rate is something fierce.

Mike in Oz

Old 10-19-2011, 03:47 AM
flyinglogan14

that sounds about exactly like what i want mike

Old 10-19-2011, 04:23 AM
Sourkraut

Great flying plane. Keep th rates on low for a while, find a mentor, and start looking for a .46 size engine for "after" and you will love this plane. I am running a GMS.47 in one and my brother runs an OS.55AX in one of his and an Evolution.46 in another. Extra power is always a good thing.

Before and after recover pics attached.

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17820.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1676412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12650.jpg
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1676413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68470.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	1676414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69472.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	1676415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42082.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	1676416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wp40573.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1676417  
Old 10-19-2011, 11:28 AM
flyinglogan14

i have an o.s. 46 sf ringed engine should i put that on it ?

Old 10-19-2011, 11:51 AM
JohnBuckner

Sure, That engine would work well as long as its in good condition. But as long as the Supertiger .40 that is already there could also work well. That small boost in displacement would not likely to make a noticible difference to you.

John
Old 10-19-2011, 01:52 PM
SeamusG

Definition of overkill: An SSE with a Saito 115 (club member's 2nd plane)
Old 10-19-2011, 06:55 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Classic????????????

The design came out 10 or 12 years ago, but no way is it a classic.

It is however a very good flying design.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:19 PM
JohnBuckner

This is not about age and it is not about Some contest board working out competition regulations for for vintage models its simply a good word to describe those benchmark airplanes that people will always remember.

Just like I remember and I suspect you do to a truly benchmark airplane from the controlline days was the Ringmaster. Now we could argue all day whether that airplane or the SSE were/are truly classics and eveyone is going to have a different definition however what these 'Classics' truly are, is simply the airplanes that no one will ever forget.

Now that is a classic accomplishment and those are classic designs

John
Old 10-20-2011, 07:14 AM
DenverJayhawk

Logan: it depends on where you want to go with your flying skills. If you want a nice every day sport flyer, it's a great option. If you want serious 3D extreme aerobatics, there are much better choices.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:58 PM
Wine Country Flyer
My Feedback: (5)

You'll love that Somethin' Extra. I've had three. Still have my third, with an old Saito 65. I fly it on wheels and floats. When I mounted floats on it, it came out a little nose heavy. So, I drilled holes in the front of the floats and put split shot in to balance it. Then dribbled epoxy in to hold the lead right in the front. Just love it on wheels or floats. That's my two cents.
John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80142.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	1677357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40231.jpg
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1677358  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.