Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

d/R and expo question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

d/R and expo question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 12:04 PM
jcoop65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d/R and expo question

Ok so im setting up a 50cc aerobatic mx2 and would like some input and suggestions on D/R and expo settings. First off im using a DX 8, it has three rate possitions on all the control surfaces, I'd like to stick to just one swicth for all of my rate variables. In doing so I'm most comfortable with using the f mode switch, small switch on the left. What would be the best settings for the different rates? I've used expo but am not sure what is a good starting point with different rates.
On the lower rates I would want good response with easy smooth controlability. Also with the lower rates I want enough control to be able to recover if need be.
THANKS John

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50940.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1676509  
Old 10-19-2011, 01:28 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: d/R and expo question

ORIGINAL: jcoop65

Ok so im setting up a 50cc aerobatic mx2 and would like some input and suggestions on D/R and expo settings. First off im using a DX 8, it has three rate positions on all the control surfaces, I'd like to stick to just one switch for all of my rate variables. In doing so I'm most comfortable with using the f mode switch, small switch on the left. What would be the best settings for the different rates? I've used expo but am not sure what is a good starting point with different rates.
On the lower rates I would want good response with easy smooth controllability. Also with the lower rates I want enough control to be able to recover if need be.
THANKS John

An open ended question without any one answer fits all. The DX 8 I know nothing about but I can tell you how I set up my latest plane. I set up high and low rates all on one switch this time. Sounds like what you want to do. I know my normal flying rates are about 12 degrees on aileron and elevator and all I can get out of my rudder. I never set rates on my rudder. I then set my high rate up to about 28 degrees for super stunts. 28 is a pretty good point for 3-D starting rates. I'm not a 3-D pilot but this plane will be able to fly 3-D so I set the rates for it.
Expo is another one of those things that is used to suit the pilot. I like my planes a bit docile until I want to start banging the sticks so I set up with about 45% and add or subtract during my trim flying. Depends on the plane and how touchy it is.
I used to build planes for a friend that never used expo at all and he isn't the only one I know that feels the same way.
Rates and expo is something you have to decide on yourself but a good starting point for normal flying is about 10 or 12 degrees. Once you have the plane set up for normal flight you can go nuts fooling with the control inputs. It's a lot of fun.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:33 PM
jcoop65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks grey beard that sounds like a good starting point. This is my first aerobatic plane and im taking things cautiously, I'm iching to fly it but i want to make sure
that I dont get into trouble. I've flown a few friends planes and they all have different preferences. I think that maybe i may want to tone the rudder on low, but you
said that you do not. Do you think full ruudder is good at all times?
Old 10-19-2011, 03:02 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If I didn't I would set up duel rates on the rudder too. I do know a few people that have rated the rudder but it's because they tend to over control the sticks. Example: This year I built a Cub for a friend. He is a good pilot. He kept complaining about the lack of ground control while trying to turn the plane back into the pits at take off and landing. I took one look at it and noticed the rudder was only moving about 10 degrees?? I had him put in 100% rudder and what do you know, it turned while on the ground. Nothing wrong with the tail wheel. Then he tried to take off and as the plane started to pull left as Cubs will he over corrected rudder.
He has almost no feeling in his hands any longer so a little rudder movement and a lot of expo may be good for him? I never have the trouble of over controlling so it makes no difference to me. I want as much rudder as I can get. You may not feel that way?? Pilots choice. I was taught from the start to set up planes the way I do so it's normal for me. You may feel differently?
Other guys will be posting up with there ideas soon and there will be a lot of different ideas on the subject. Take what you think will work for you, mix and match. Try them and you will come up with your own set up. Mine works for me.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:32 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im sure the dx8 can do flight modes, i would look into it. one switch does it all. You can choose the rate movement for elev/rudder/ail and how much expo you want individually on each flight mode

for example i have 5 flight modes but only use 3 on my 3d stuff

flight mode(FM) 1 is my "goto" FM it has low elevator and aileron and plenty of rudder just enough of everything for some good snaps

FM2 has medium aileron high elevator and high rudder, i like it for doing rolling harriers and certain spins

FM3 has maxed out everything for balls to the wall 3d flying and this FM has the most expo of all somewhere around 60-75% and about 50 on rudder
Old 10-19-2011, 03:39 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Pop open the manual and start there, it will be flyable.

Adjust to suit your tastes. Don't be afraid to experement but get a base low rate that you're comfortable with that you can switch to if things get freaky.