Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Servos

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 05:05 PM
gphil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servos

Just plain new at this and I was wondering if the servos are compatable with most receivers etc. If a radio is on say channel 42 crystal and the Rx is the same of course, would a different servo work ? Hope I asked that correctly. If i was to build a new plane and put the required servos would my old radio gear operate. Getting myself off now so I will quit. I did purchase a new used radio trans that operates on 46 I think and my old reciever is 42 so I think my crystals have to match and both be from the same famly so to speak. Ok there it is for what its worth. lol Thanks and I will be watching. gphil
Old 11-06-2011, 05:25 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Servos

Most servos will work in most RXs. The exception I am aware of is Airtronics. As far as Futaba,JR,Hitech,Spectrum. Any of these companies serovs will work in any of the RXs. As long as you have them plugged in correctly. If you plug them in wrong, they don't run back words, they just dont work. As for as your channel number. It makes no difference to the RX.

David
Old 11-06-2011, 05:41 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: daveopam

Most servos will work in most RXs. The exception I am aware of is Airtronics. As far as Futaba,JR,Hitech,Spectrum. Any of these companies serovs will work in any of the RXs. As long as you have them plugged in correctly. If you plug them in wrong, they don't run back words, they just dont work. As for as your channel number. It makes no difference to the RX.

David
A little clarification on what Dave said here. When he said Airtronics he means the old airtronics equipment. Everything currently sold by Airtronics is compatible with all the rest of the brands mentioned. In fact, it's been about 10 years now since Airtronics sold the older stuff. As long as the Airtronics servos have a blue "Z" connector on it then they are compatible with everything else.

Ken

Old 11-06-2011, 05:48 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

One thing about Airtronics, check polarity. Other than the plug itself on all the others, they work with all receivers.  I have Spektrum, the Futaba servo plug needs the tab trimmed off, and bevels done to fit, but other than that they work fine.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:38 AM
daveopam

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks Ken. I keep forgetting Airtronics changed. I just never mess with any of it.

David
Old 11-07-2011, 12:29 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: daveopam

David
I think there might be some confusion in the last part of your statement about the channel numbers. The receiver number in the RX HAS TO MATCH the TX and by law you aren't supposed to change the TX crystal . ENJOY !!! RED
Old 11-07-2011, 01:46 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: gphil
Just plain new at this and I was wondering if the servos are compatable with most receivers etc. If a radio is on say channel 42 crystal and the Rx is the same of course, would a different servo work ? Hope I asked that correctly. If i was to build a new plane and put the required servos would my old radio gear operate. Getting myself off now so I will quit. I did purchase a new used radio trans that operates on 46 I think and my old reciever is 42 so I think my crystals have to match and both be from the same famly so to speak. Ok there it is for what its worth. lol Thanks and I will be watching. gphil
If you plan to use the channel 46 transmitter you need a channel 46 receiver. You can change receiver crystals to match a transmitter but we're not allowed to change transmitter crystals in the US.

Before you start buying crystals or other stuff:
Exactly what transmitter brand and model number do you have? Also, exactly what receiver do you have?
Old 11-07-2011, 03:14 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: gphil

Servos are not channel specific. They are ALL pretty much generic as to their use. In other words, most of the modern servos can be used interchangeably with most receivers. There may be some exceptions, but those are few and far between. So, if you have a Hitec, or an Airtronics, or a Futaba, or whatever servo, and they have the same connector, chances are very good that they will all work on just about any receiver. As stated, the Futaba's need to have the tab trimmed to be used on other receivers... but they work just fine on them.

The only suggestion I can offer here is that you don't mix and match servos for applications. For instance, if you have a setup that uses two servos for the ailerons, then stick with the same model and type servo on both sides... ie Airtronics 94102Z on both sides, or any other "matched" pair, be it Futaba, JR/Spektrum, Hitec, whatever.. keep them the same.

Enough has been said about crystals.

CGr.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:32 PM
gphil

Thanks fellas for all the input.    The transmitter I got was a Futaba T6XAs    72.710  Chan 46       My receiver is different but I , by reading your responses, can change the crystal in my receiver and things would work.      The question about the servos was guessing they would operate with the change and looks like the would.   I really want to get into this but sure hate to buy a new radio system every time I change planes etc.   I realize they have program trans out now but hate to put that much out now.  Another reason for all this chatter from me is my box buddy says my plane will not take another crash.   lol   I have tried to move the earth out of orbit three times now.  Even made the fuel tank get loose and leak around the fitting.   STILL FUN.      Thanks.    gphil
Old 11-08-2011, 08:09 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

That transmitter can be programed for different planes. It was my first radio.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:34 AM
carrellh

The 6XAS has 6 model memory. The manual is still available online http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/6xas-hs-manual.pdf
Old 11-14-2011, 03:19 PM
jim billings

Regarding servos, my curiosity lies on the innards of the servo, specifically the electronics including the motor. I retired as an Electronics Engineer, so please understand I'm looking for detailed information.

Does anyone have a favorite site/source/etc for explanations on servo operation? Also, I've read in several places where the motor on an airplane needs to be offset to some angle for proper operation. This newbie to RC airplanes would greatly appreciate any site/source/etc or information on this. Thanks a bunch (that's Okie for "I shore appreciate it!!")

Old 11-16-2011, 09:53 AM
bruce88123

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/ has a lot of good information on RC stuff.
http://www.futaba-rc.com/servos/digitalservos.pdf is another.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:55 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I still have a T6XA. It is a good, solid radio. Doesn't have the bells and whistles of the newer radios, but it works fine. As Carrellh touched on, it has a six model memory which means you can fly six different airplanes and the transmitter will remember the servo direction and trim settings of each airplane.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:55 AM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

I still have a T6XA. It is a good, solid radio. Doesn't have the bells and whistles of the newer radios, but it works fine. As Carrellh touched on, it has a six model memory which means you can fly six different airplanes and the transmitter will remember the servo direction and trim settings of each airplane.
You can use the same TX for up to 6 aircraft but would either need to move the airborne stuff from plane to plane or buy additional "Flight Packs" consisting of servos, RX and battery/switch. some pieces can be dedicated to a given plane (servos and switch) and just move the RX & battery. Just remember that EVERY time you move the gear opens the opportunity for making an error. I recommend all new (used) flight packs.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:37 PM
JollyPopper

Yes, you do need flight packs in each airplane. The point is that you don't need six separate transmitters.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:07 AM
jim billings

Thanks for the information, it's a good start. I'd like to see some examples of schematic diagrams/circuit diagrams of servos, but maybe that's proprietary stuff. I'll keep looking.
The information on setting the motor at an angle is understandable ifthe angleneeds to be calculated, but I wonder WHY the offset is needed.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:10 AM
bruce88123

Motor at an angle - what??
Old 11-19-2011, 11:41 AM
JollyPopper

The only time that you need the "motor at an angle" is to offset the torque of the engine or to neutralize a plane's tendency to climb. Some airplane plans suggest right thrust and/or down thrust to keep the airplane straight and level. Some even have this built into the firewall.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:48 AM
bruce88123

Oh, THAT motor. I thought you were still talking about servos. Motors, or more properly called engines, sometimes need side-thrust or down-thrust as said. It will usually be noted in the plans or build instructions.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:57 PM
jim billings

So what would happen if you try to fly an airplane without any "offset" in the "engine"? (You can see I'm learning the lingo. Just need time. If only there were more time....)
Old 11-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I see terms are being brought up, this is simple. A motor is electric and an engine is internal combustion. The angle is the thrust angle. Not all planes require it. It isn't the same for every plane. Some kits and ARFs come with a built in thrust angle. I set up my own planes with zero thrust angle then during my trim flight testing the plane shows me what it requires. I think in the classic pattern forum you can locate instructions on flight trim testing. It's not hard to do. If you don't have any thrust in your plane it isn't going to crash. You can still trim the plane for straight and level flight with your radio trims then when you get home you can add thrust if needed. It's usually only about 2 degrees and can be right thrust and/or down thrust. The CG is perhaps the most important thing. If that's off and the plane is tail heavy then your first flight may be your last.
Doesn't sound like you have flown before so you should get with someone that knows how to fly to do your trim for you and maybe teach you how or at least go over your plane with you.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:25 PM
jim billings

I have so flown before!! Only problem was the perfect one-point vertical landing I accomplished kind ofboosted mydesire for better performance on my part. (With the battery hanging like a tongue out of the cowl,the whole contraption reminded me of road kill. Two hundred dollars down the drain.) I decided that I better start asking questions.

Your information and advice are valuable and answered several other questions I have. Thanks.

My plan now is to use cheaper, smaller planes to gain some experience (as long as the money holds out.)

I find that takeoffs and maneuvers in the air are not so bad. Landing is a killer.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:44 PM
Wild Wings

Landings are usually the hardest part to master, unless they are the unplaned type!
Larry
Old 11-20-2011, 11:36 PM
JollyPopper

As Gene said, terms are being brought up. I think I blew one earlier when I said right thrust could be induced to neutralize engine torque. I have learned since making that statement that right thrust is to neutralize P-factor, not engine torque. Just when I thought I had sorted thrust line and datum line out in my mind, somebody has to bring up torque vs. P-factor. I think I know the difference, but can somebody tell me...................
AHHH, never mind. I'm going to bed and mull over thrust lines and datum lines. Torque and P=factor is for another day. G'nite all