Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 First Low Wing >

First Low Wing

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First Low Wing

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: First Low Wing

ORIGINAL: JH313

Could I use a single servo extension for each aileron and connect the wire from the receiver with the one from the servo? I would like to try flapperon mixing, has anyone tried it?
You can use the individual servo extensions to the aileron servos, but then you would have to set up your radio for coupling the two servos to do aileron function. You can then do a flaperon function if you like, but you won't need it in the Escapade.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply, exactly what I was looking for!
Old 11-14-2011, 03:05 PM

I did some research and it appears the problem is with the firmware. I found a way to check the firmware and the one I plan on putting in the Escapade is current with the more problem-free firmware. I have used this receiver on a few planes, never havign a problem. No one ever answered my question, would the Hitec servos actually make a large difference from what I am using?
Old 11-14-2011, 03:23 PM

I am going to go with the escapade and keep my standard servos.

On the front page!!!
Old 11-14-2011, 04:13 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Standard servo's will be fine, I am using some standard S3003 Futaba's on mine no problems at all.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:22 PM

Thank you.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:38 PM

quick question: does the plane come with fuel line or do I need to purchase that?
Old 11-14-2011, 05:54 PM
My Feedback: (6)

You have to supply the fuel line.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:10 PM

Thanks
Old 11-14-2011, 07:40 PM

Just ordered, I hope tower delivers by Thursday, although based on the manual even if I get it for Friday I should be set. Should I glue the tail or wing halves together? I don't plan on taking them apart at all but if it's safe enough without them I won't worry. My alpha (rest it's sole )had a bolt on tail which had one bolt come all the way out and the other one close and I used lock-titie with it. I ended up epoxying it together. After it crashed a few months later the only thing salvageable was the tail! Also, would it be ok for me to put the receiver switch and charge jack on the inside of the plane since the canopy is so easy to remove?
Thanks
Old 11-14-2011, 07:42 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Ihave tried a flaperon mix and on planes like these it won't be needed. Landing are easy and predictible with these planes and with a crosswind landing you don't want any flaps.
Flaps or flaperons are great for fast planes.
After many years I have started again flying rc planes this summer and my second plane was a SIG 4star. I had a .52 four stroke on this and it was a great plane. Ibelieve it flies very similar to an escapade.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:43 PM

Really, to me a 4* is slow and steady while the escapade is more fast, but still predictable.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:51 AM

Hey there, Spektrum's gear has a cut-off voltage of 4.6v, so I strongly recommend using a 6v battery. I used to get brownouts with my H9 P-51 PTS using the 4.8v battery it came with. Otherwise, i say get the Hanger 9 P-51 40 arf, it has the option for retracts, flaps, and it flys SUPER EASY. It was my first glow plane on the whole and I did awesome so I think it'll be perfect for you.

Good luck,
Jesse
Old 11-15-2011, 03:53 AM

I believe the Escapade came with fuel tubing, velcro straps, and foam rubber. Although, the foam rubber didn't seem very good, not dense enough for my taste.

I did not epoxy the tail on the Escapade because it would add more weight to an already tail heavy plane. I just used locktite.

The removable canopy hatch is nice, but I don't remove/replace it very often, it is not like the pure electric models that are made to be manipulated every flight.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:38 AM

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts

I'll second the motion on the Tiger II. It does come as an ARF and is a little bigger than the Escapade. I had a Tiger 60 and some consider it to be one of the best low wing trainers around. And it performs aerobatics well. Furthermore, when you get tired of not using the flaperons you can use the capability (if you have it) to control positive and negative end point and rate adjustments on each airleron independently to get perfect coaxial rolls. The Tiger is the only airplane I have never crashed ;&lt
Old 11-19-2011, 06:18 AM

In the end I went with the Escapade, but I have two questions: 1. Since I went with dual ailerons, can the torque rods be cut off? 2. Do I need to condition my NiMh battery? How?
Thanks.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:19 AM

I sawed off the aileron torque rods to make room for the battery. But once you do that, you are committed to dual aileron servos. I have not noticed any difference in flight performance between single or dual aileron setup. The nice thing thing about single aileron setup is that it gives the plane a cleaner aerodynamic look. The dual aileron setup has the servos, pushrods, and control horns sticking out in the airstream.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:29 PM

The plane is finished and looks great. I only have two regrets: I wish I went with 12" extenders from the Rx to the ailerons and I should have placed the switch somewhere else. I purchased one of the heavy duty ones from tower and when it attatches it pushes the fuel tank toward the throttle and causes the pushrod to bend at open throttle. I fixed this by putting the clevis in the upper hole on the carburetor arm and outer on the servo. I then used endpoint adjustments to fix the movement of the range, now only bends slightly at full throttle, but no buzz from the throttle.
One other thing, when I balance the plane right side up, it appears extremely nose-heavy, but when upside-down it is perfectly balanced, which do I follow?
Thanks
Old 11-24-2011, 06:23 AM
My Feedback: (1)

A low wing plane is balanced up side down. A high wing plane is balanced right side up. Also balance it with the tank empty.

Bruce
Old 11-26-2011, 04:17 PM

Thanks for all of the help.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:50 PM

Good choice with the Escapade, a good proven plane.

Did you use your EVO 46?

Side note as you said you have an Avistar. If you ever stop flying it saw the wing in half and straighten it. It makes it fly like a whole different plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46405.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	1691784  
Old 11-26-2011, 07:03 PM

The EVO 46 is in there, flies great. The only problem is the one engine mount screw managed to work it's way out, and when I went to take off the muffler to tighten it, the gasket broke. I was looking and found a new one, but I also realized that Evos are one of the only ones to use gaskets to the exhaust, do they actually need them?
On the avistar: that is going to be used to teach my dad next year how to fly[X(] I like the tail dragger conversion, though, how did you do that?
Old 11-26-2011, 10:49 PM

I use RTV (from auto parts store) as the gasket from the muffler to the engine on all my glow planes. Some I have found dont have gaskets and other do so I just smear a little RTV on the mating surfaces and put them back together.

On the taildragger. Its a pretty easy mod, the main gear is from Great Planes and the tail wheel is a Sullivan tail wheel kit.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ922&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXFV48&P=8

Remove the battery/RX tray and epoxy some 1/4" light ply to make the floor solid. A few careful measurements to find center and also to make sure the axles are directly under the leading edge of the wing and drill the holes and bolt it down.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33258.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1691861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37197.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1691862  
Old 11-27-2011, 09:49 PM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: JH313
I think the stick isn't that big of a move from an Avistar.

LOL WRONG. You let the look fool you. The Ultra Stick is a FANTASTIC plane that does not care if its windy and does NOT fly like a trainer.