Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First Low Wing

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First Low Wing

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 11:49 AM
JH313

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Low Wing

I'm in the market for my first low-wing. My current experience is with an avistar (current plane), J-3 cub, Alpha 40 and I have also flown a friends 60 sized Escapade. I have two planes I am looking at: the 40 sized escapade and the Lanier Stinger II. My lightly run Evolution .46NX will be put into either of these planes. Which one would you suggest? Any other planes that would be better? Is there a major difference at this point between 4.8volt and 6volt Rx batteries. I will be using a JR 8103 Spektrum Tx. Thanks for all the help.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:01 PM
JH313

Default RE: First Low Wing

More details: I'm looking for a purely fun sport-flier. I have no interest in 3D or pattern. I want something I can do basic aerobatics with (roles, loops, stall turns etc.). I fly in a field where it is almost always windy, so I need good performance there and it's a grass field.
Thanks
Old 11-13-2011, 03:04 PM
JH313

So I think I'm going to go with the Escapade. For the price, it can't be beat.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Escapade would be excellent for what you say you want to do with it.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:27 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Either is a good choice. The Escapade is a lot more forgiving, but the Stinger is a lot more aerobatic
Old 11-13-2011, 05:36 PM
trainerjock

This summer, I progressed from flying my trainer (Midwest Aero-Star 60) to a GP Big Stik, and then to the Stinger II. The Stinger II is a fantastic airplane! OS. 55ax and it is really fast, will do any aerobatics you care to try (I don't do 3D), but slows down nicely, and lands like a ***** cat. I like the Stinger II so much I am going to buy a second one to have on hand just in case. (you know what I mean he he). The Stinger II makes me look like a much better flyer than I really am. Just my 2 cent worth.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:53 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you asked about alternatives, I can tell you I am extremely pleased with my LA Racer 40. It's slightly larger than the Escapade, it comes with a thin, but very nice fiberglass cowl, and from what I can tell it comes out a little lighter than the Escapade. I use an Irvine 39 and it goes straight up as high as I want. I had to put the battery well forward for balance, so with a heavier engine I'm sure you could balance it with battery location. I did a short thread on it with pictures on the ARF forum.

Jim
Old 11-13-2011, 06:09 PM
JH313

I am still going between the two airplanes. The nice thing about the Escapade is cost, it can't be beat. The other thing which brings me to this is that it is all pre-hinged. I don't know if I am making to big of a deal, but hinging is one thing I am not looking forward to doing one day! With any plane, I would use 2 aileron servos (HAN S300, the stock on the Alpha 40) and Futaba S128s for everything else. On the AR500 receiver, there are two aileron ports. If I use the flaperon wing setting on my 8103, would that use both of those ports. In the Escapade manual, it asks for a dual servo extension, I wouldn't need that then, right? Could I then bump up the two aileron extensions from a 6" to a 12"? Or is that extension for the elevator and rudder? Thanks.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:14 PM
buzzard bait

Not trying to talk you out of it, but I paid $125 shipped for the LA Racer; all control surfaces are pre-hinged. I used all hardware with no issues. Escapade is $130 from Tower.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:16 PM
JH313

I looked in the manual and it showed all of the surfaces needing to be hinged.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:21 PM
JH313

The other thing with the stinger is it's an extra $100. Would the Bisson Pitts Muffler recommended for the .46 AX/LA work on the Evolution .46NX?
Old 11-13-2011, 06:33 PM
JH313

ORIGINAL: buzzard bait

Since you asked about alternatives, I can tell you I am extremely pleased with my LA Racer 40. It's slightly larger than the Escapade, it comes with a thin, but very nice fiberglass cowl, and from what I can tell it comes out a little lighter than the Escapade. I use an Irvine 39 and it goes straight up as high as I want. I had to put the battery well forward for balance, so with a heavier engine I'm sure you could balance it with battery location. I did a short thread on it with pictures on the ARF forum.

Jim
Could you point me to that thread Jim, I couldn't find it.
Thanks
Old 11-13-2011, 07:45 PM
bikerbc

There are some other planes out there that are more expensive but are very nice flying planes..The Hanger 9 Saratoga is one that you can get with a set of floats..It switches back and forth in minuits... That makes it quite versatile..The Pulse are also great flying planes..These are all a little easier to fly than the Escapade. The Escapade is a great flying plane but not as easy to fly as the Pulse or <st1:city><st1lace>Saratoga</st1lace></st1:city>..I have all three and find the Escapade a little faster and more of a challenge . Thats the small Escapade that I have. I am not sure about the bigger one..I would like to get the bigger one just to see. I expect it would be a little easier than the small one but still more of a handfull than the Pulse line...If you are into building a kit the Tiger 2 or Tiger 60 are both fantastic planes and easy to build..The Ultra Sport 60 is even better but again a little more advanced than the Tigers at least in my opinion...Ultra Sport Brotherhood#100 Cub Brother #6 BikerBC

<o></o>

Old 11-13-2011, 07:45 PM
buzzard bait

I think this will get you there:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10698672/tm.htm

If not, just search for LA Racer World Models.

The only real change I made was to use shorter landing gear wire and larger wheels. I also eventually found that the LG block and the wing hold down ply in the fuselage were not glued in very well. Other than that, lots of really good flights and no problems.

Jim
Old 11-13-2011, 07:50 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Neither one, get a stick, any of them. They are excellent second planes, they are not too expensive, will do basic acrobatics and slow down for landings.
As for receiver batteries, IMO there is never room for a 4.8V, for the price get a 6v and fly w more confidence, just my $0.02[X(]
Old 11-13-2011, 08:00 PM
JH313

@lopflyers: I will go with the 6 volt. I think the stick isn't that big of a move from an Avistar.
@bikerbc: I have flown the 60 sized and felt right at home. I am normally very nervous when flying another person's plane, but felt great here. A lot of people at my club have the 40 sized and no on has ever complained. I also want something I can use for a while, still being in high school, getting enough money for a new plane doesn't happen very often. Not trying to say your wrong, just my opinion
@buzzard bait: I don't know if it's just me, but i prefer the looks of the Escapade over the LA, just my personal preference.
@anyone: I think I will go with the Escapade, although my opinion is bound to change in the next 24 hours before I order. Thank you for all of your advice, but I will admit my mind was basically set from the start with an Escapade Thanks again, and keep posting if you think of something else.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:24 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

My suggestion would be to skip the AR500 too. Go with 6 volts and look a better reciever. Just my .01
Old 11-14-2011, 06:26 AM
hsukaria

There is a super long thread for the Escapade 40 in RCUniverse. Check it out, it has a lot of helpful info. I bought my Escapade back when it was $99, they are $130 now.

With the Escapade 40, you really don't need dual aileron servos unless you have wimpy servos and battery. But I see you are going with the 6 V battery, so with standard servos, you can still get by with one aileron servo.

One thing I had happen to me is the engine cowl cheeks vibrate badly from the engine. Eventually, the glue joints between the firewall and the fuselage sides cracked. I ended up gluing a piece of thin plywood at the bottom of the cheeks from the firewall halfway forward to stiffen up the structure.

The Escapade 40 is a bit heavier wing loading than the others mentioned here, but that will help you on windy conditions. I see that you mentioned that your flying field is windy.

I glued my wing halves together, but I did not glue the tail surfaces to the fuse, just bolted them on. That helps make sure you don't get too tail heavy and in case you ever lose the fuselage in a crash, you can unbolt the tail and re-use it with no problems. Just make sure that you use plenty of Locktite on the threads.

I have had my Escapade for 3 years now and used it more than any of my other planes. I had an OS 55 AX originally, then a Super Tigre 51, and now I replaced that with a Norvel AX-40 (have not flown it with that yet).

Good luck.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:00 AM
RealFly

JH313.  One point not to look over is the AR500.  This receiver has had some issues.  The Escapade is a fine second plane and will be a good platform to teach you some tail-dragger techniques. 

So. Go with the Escapade.  It can't be beat for the price and durability.

You can get a 1500Mah battery and fly all day on it, especially with the one servo.  Last, depending on your servos, check to make sure they are rated for 6V.  There is not any problem running 4.8v, although you likely will want something around 1,000Mah or more.

My biggest peave is with the AR500.  Do some research on it...
Old 11-14-2011, 08:15 AM
JH313

Is the problem due to the firmware or hardware. Is it limited to those made during certain dates?
I have never had the problem with any of the two I have. They are both on the newest firmware.
Also, what is the purpose of the dual servo extension listed as being needed on the model?
Thanks
Old 11-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Rc Overkill
My Feedback: (6)

The servo extension, would be a Y. leave it plugged in to rec. and when putting wing on and taking off just unplug the servo's from the Y. It would be hard to plug servos directly into rec. as it is mounted on opposite side of wing cradle.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Rc Overkill
My Feedback: (6)

I have a OS 46 on mine it flies great. Dual servo's on ailerons. It is a good all round fun airplane.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:40 AM
JH313

Could I use a single servo extension for each aileron and connect the wire from the receiver with the one from the servo? I would like to try flapperon mixing, has anyone tried it?
Old 11-14-2011, 12:54 PM
fco_herrera
My Feedback: (25)

The Escapade is a great flyer, I have a frien who loves this plane, it is full aerobatics !!!!

Just dont use the AR500 there are some bad reviews on internet .... I personally lost my favorite plane using the AR500

Old 11-14-2011, 01:00 PM
JH313

Whould the HS-325HB servos make a difference over the one's I have. Also, on JR Rxs, what is the difference with a lite receiver? Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.