Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

correct Antenna orientation

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

correct Antenna orientation

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Pa-18cub150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default correct Antenna orientation

What is the correct orientation of the Hitec Boosted Omni-Directional Antenna on Optima 7 7ch 2.4GhZ Receiver? Parallel with lateral axis or parallel with horizontal axis?

I am setting up my first gas model and will be using the Supplemental Power Connection. Are there any suggestions or things I should avoid?

Old 11-27-2011, 08:02 PM
KW_Counter

Default RE: correct Antenna orientation

Since the antenna is omnidirectional the orientation should not matter.
However, I would research/ask this question in the Hitec forum.

Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 11-27-2011, 09:15 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Omni-Directional Antenna still have a nulls at each end of the pattern. Dont get stuck in the doughnut hole. 99.9% of the time you will be fine. You could go with the 9 channel to get the two antenna Rx to build in some diversity. Scott
Old 11-28-2011, 04:10 AM
CGRetired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This comes directly from the Hitec manual:

BODA (Boosted Omni-Directional Antenna) System*
- Hitec’s exclusive 2.4GHz BODA System will show you another means of using the 2.4GHz system. This
single antenna with omni-directional booster makes it a whole lot easier to install the 2.4GHz antenna.
Intensive tests have proven that the single BODA system in our 6 & 7 channel systems is better than or equal
to our competitor’s dual antenna systems. Our Optima 9 receiver features a dual BODA system to give
the added security that larger models need. Installation is easy and simple, just insert the antenna into the
supported antenna holder and stick it to the desired spot you wish to install.

If it were me, I would run the antenna in a straight line directly away from the receiver toward the rear of the aircraft to get it away from the engine and other large metal objects, and secure it in that position.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:16 AM
Ken Erickson

After having some difficulty with the new Hitec Optic 6 Sport and the Optima 6 receivers, I called Hitec. The support person said that most mount the single BODA receivers horizontal in the fuselage, right next to the wing.

At this time my Transmitter and three receivers are in Poway, CA, awaiting their decision on Warranty Repair.

Ken Erickson
Old 11-28-2011, 10:01 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This is the setup I choose for the Optima 7's in my two gassers which are both 50cc size.

I have many other Optima 7's all in Glow and one diesel and for those I just assured that little bitty antennas was located as far from the engine as possible with that six or seven inch leader and no real attention to the itty bittys orientation.

No problems or issues

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62305.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1692544   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42491.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1692545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88276.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1692546  
Old 11-28-2011, 02:07 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

This comes directly from the Hitec manual:

BODA (Boosted Omni-Directional Antenna) System*
- Hitec’s exclusive 2.4GHz BODA System will show you another means of using the 2.4GHz system. This
single antenna with omni-directional booster makes it a whole lot easier to install the 2.4GHz antenna.
Intensive tests have proven that the single BODA system in our 6 & 7 channel systems is better than or equal
to our competitor’s dual antenna systems. Our Optima 9 receiver features a dual BODA system to give
the added security that larger models need. Installation is easy and simple, just insert the antenna into the
supported antenna holder and stick it to the desired spot you wish to install.

If it were me, I would run the antenna in a straight line directly away from the receiver toward the rear of the aircraft to get it away from the engine and other large metal objects, and secure it in that position.
Hey, CGRetired: no fair reading the manual. Who does that, anymore?

Old 11-28-2011, 02:17 PM
CGRetired

RTFM, eh?

Old 11-28-2011, 05:47 PM
JohnBuckner

PA-18Cub150 just a thought don,t forget to update your Optima 7 to at least ver. 2.02(0) Even if its new. Its done with the HPP-22 and you plug your RX into the home computer to load the latest, even if its in the airplane.

This is strongly being suggested by Hitec.

John

Name:	Ge95966.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1692717   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10431.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1692718  
Old 11-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Pa-18cub150

JohnBuckner thanks for the heads-up. I’ve had the receiver for about a year and didn’t relies there was an update out.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:46 PM
JohnBuckner

Yup its the third one since they were introduced and they address a lot of things. I know with the fellows using the Hitec module in Futaba 9C's the boot up rate became a lot faster.

Also don't forget to update the module, those also plug into the HPP-22 and have several updates. If you are using the Aurora 9, that has one update as well.

I have a lot of the Seven's and have just been updating them slowly as I take them out like the one in those photos is going out tommorrow morning.

Unfortuately the Optima 6 Rx does not have a data port and cannot be updated without sending in.

John
Old 11-29-2011, 05:36 AM
Pa-18cub150

Actually I am using an older non Qpcm Eclipse 7. Should it be sent in for any update also?
Old 11-29-2011, 07:55 AM
Matt14x

I'm putting an Optima 6 in a small bird and have to loop the antenna wire,and the BODA is about one inch from the servos. DO you think thats all right??

Matt
Old 11-29-2011, 03:21 PM
JohnBuckner

PA-18Cub150, The Eclipse is not updatable there is nothing needed however the the 2.4 Spectra transmitter module is and should be updated as soon as possible as are the 7 and 9 channel rx's are both updatable.

When updating the module a patch cord that comes with the HPP-22 plugs the 22 to receivers or the directly to the back of the module (there is small sticker that covers the plugs hole in the module).

Matt, I can only say I have many small airplanes using the seven channel and a loop in the leader wire of the BODA can and does happen. It is that small little three quarter inch end that is important. I do have some installations where the proximity to some servos has been no issue, I do tend to try to keep that little bitty end though as far from the engine as possible perhaps to prevent blocking or shadeing of the signal by the engine.

John

Name:	Qn38132.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	1693092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42069.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1693093  
Old 11-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Matt14x

Thank you John for the quick reply.

Wow what great pictures. I didn't think they made starters for big gassers. All the "big bird" guys start by hand at my clubs.

I'm at a loss when it comes to 2.4 xmitters.I'm a Hitec guy since they came out. I have three of them. Two on 72 and one on 2.4. The 2.4 scares the hell out of me.I belong to two clubs, and they think a BODA is some kind of god. This puts me in the same place I was in fifty years ago. Everybody was on U-control and I was on R.C.. Thank God for R.C.U. and people like you John.

My hanger is full of birds,most of them .91fs size,and a GP Patty Flagstaff with a zdz 50 cc. I want to put them on 2.4 and don't know how locate the rec. and BODA.

John, Do you know where I can see pictures of were guys put 2.4 in .91fs size birds.

Matt

AMA 10411
Old 12-01-2011, 07:18 AM
JohnBuckner

Pleased to meet you Matt , thank you for the kind words. Its likely we have similar modeling experiances although I still fly a bit of U-control and still realish the 'real feeling of flying a model aircraft'

Here is a picture of a seven channel Hitec 2.4 I am installing as we type in a ninety sized Horizon Corsair. This airplane will be my latest arrested landing (tailhook lander) for a contest I am promoting for next summer.

You can easily see the boda and all that was neccessary was to simply route the leader to the rear agine to just get some distance from the engine.

Matt there is absolutely no reason fear 2.4. It actually saved our field and everyone in our medium sized club use 2.4 exclusively. This is mainly because of park flyers who now use an open spot in the desert seven tenths of a mile away and use any type of radios and care less about frequency control or sharing.

The chief thing I reccomend to anyone new to 2.4 flying glow or gas is to use only five cell (6 volt) batteries for the receiver. Also to use much larger capacitys than what we may have formerly used for our old 72 systems. For example for an airplane we used to be fine with say a 600 mah pack now I would use only one of three times that capacity. This is so easy to do its a no brainer. I no longer use 4.8 or low capacity packs on anything except in the case of some electronic ignition supplys for certain gas engines.

Also Hitec strongly hints thats for the large say ninety sized aerobats or any airplane to pull large currents with powerful servos that even with sufficient capacity is the packs with the AA sized packs should not be used but the Sub C sized packs of the same capacity or better should be used.

You have choosen a good system with the Hitec and it is now all I use. What Hitec Tx's do you have?

John

Name:	Ig11505.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1693776  
Old 12-01-2011, 10:18 AM
landeck

Hi Matt. I see you are from Hammond. I grew up in Munster and graduated from Hammond High. But that was 52 years ago. Where do you fly in "da region" and what club do you belong to? I get up there every so often and wonder where you all fly.

Bruce

Old 12-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Matt14x

Hi John

All three of my x-mitters are Hitec Optic 6's with modules. They are really "friendly'. I plan on changing the two 72's to 2.4 once my confidence in build-up.
I use five cell eneloop 2000ma. in my 91fs. and five cell sub c's in my Wagstaff. Futaba 3004 and 3010's in my 91fs's. Larger hitec servos in the Patty.
My active planes are: G P 60 Stick,Golberg Tiger 60,and a U-Can Do. There is no-way the room in my birds as in your Corsair.This is why I'm stuck on rec.-boda placement.
I was thinking of sandwitching the optima an boda in one-inch foam. Foam-rec.-foam-boda-foam. What do you think? I'm just gussing.

You still fly U- control WOW!!!

Matt
Old 12-01-2011, 12:50 PM
JohnBuckner

Sounds as though you pretty much have everything together but just a bit of a mental hangup on the antenna thing.

Since the advent of 2.4 I have abandoned the time honored practice of always installing the RX's in foam. I never do this anymore since the discovery of the possible heat problems with 2.4 in high temperatures (we hit well over a hundred often). While there was never any big hub bub about this like there was with some others, I do beleve it does apply to any brand so it no big deal and I almost always install Rx's with velcro (the industrial variety) and C.A. the velcro to the bottom of the Rx.

Here is another of my much more compact airplanes: a home brew I call the Orange Thing. with a 1.5cc diesel and you can see the botta about half way between the engine and the big lead box up front in this pusher.

Ya, I confess to never haven given up completely on Ukie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_fvFR4w25o

John

Name:	Ge95799.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1693865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98419.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1693866  
Old 12-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Matt14x

Hi Bruce
I belong to two clubs. One in crown point called Crown Point Aromonelers, and one in Griffith called Barnstomers.

Every tuesday I fly at Gene Sheppard Community Center indoors.

Let me know when your in town.

I'm a East Chicago Roosevelt bum.

Matt
Old 12-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Matt14x

Hello John

The picture of the BODA surrounded with servos in your "Orange Thing" answers many guestions. Thank You. I knew about the velcro. Do you think the velcro cuts down vibration ? I'm still concerned about putting a loop in the leadwire to the boda!!

You flying U-control is absolutely amazing.You must be young at heart and body.

I did a range check. Went 70 paces,and was still in range. What range do you get?

Thank you again. Matt
Old 12-01-2011, 04:23 PM
JohnBuckner

You know I am sure velcro does reduce vibration, I don,t see how it could not but anyway using the hooks and loops has become a standard for me and I certainly don,t feel I am any worse off. I actually got into using it before 2.4 in my pylon days and I could not see any higher damage rate than with the foam. Actually what I have noticed is that the 2.4 rx's seem to be far more durable in crashs than the 72 units, go figure.

As for the range in the power down mode, don,t know I don,t bother rolling more than about fifty paces.

I have many airplanes with the antenna leader wire running with a 180 'U' turn but no full loops and I am totally comfortable with that. Have not found an airplane yet that I cannot stuff a 6 or 7 channel 2.4 in, in fact I got an awful lot of the sevens but only seven of the six channels.

I also am working on my next Ukie and it will have the Hitec six's on board for throttle and stooge release. This instead of my old over the wire electronic system. Guess I won,t have to do range checks on those since the airplane can never be more than sixty feet away

Are all three of your Optic Six's the same model or is the 2.4 the low voltage six cell instead of the eight cell version? I know that for me to buddy box my two Auroras with the Optic Six that the Optic must be the six cell low voltage version.

John
Old 12-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Matt14x

All my Optic 6's have eight cell 2000ma. eneloop batteries, with removable modules. I plan on replacing the two with 72 modules with 2.4 once I trust and understand the 2.4's.

Thank you again. You are a credit to modeling,and R.C.U..

Matt
Old 12-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Pa-18cub150

The way you have things routed in the orange thing makes me feel a lot better about how to run things. I was concerned about running between two servos and there metal control rods.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Pa-18cub150

I got a chance to range check the Hitec optima 7 and eclipse 7 setup tonight . I could only get 35 feet away before I lost signal. The instructions say I should be able to get 100 feet away in power down mode.
Can any one see any thing I may be doing wrong in my set up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.