Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Champ help

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Champ help

Old 12-02-2011, 09:15 PM
mitrocus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Champ help

I just got my champ by hobbyzone and I was checking, how do I trim the plane and which button does which? ALso, the sticker with AERONICA is something I kinda broke but put a little tape. Out of the box, is the AERONICA tail suppose to be a bit wobbly? Also the rudder is leaning to the right, anyway to fix that?
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/7076/plane001.jpg
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/6725/plane002.jpg
http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/5992/plane003.jpg
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/3845/plane004.jpg
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/7452/plane005.jpg
Old 12-02-2011, 10:31 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Champ help

nothing should be wobbly.... you might need to get a hold of some foam safe CA aka"super glue" and reinforce it.... your transmitter should have a trim feature.....

before you even attempt to fly it, look for a club closest to you.... it will save you from aches and pains of learning alone.... who know they might even train you for free if you join their club
enter your zip code and find a club http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx
SIERRA EAGLES
Flying Site Details
3.24 miles 119 26 CHRIS BORLAND
Email Contact 1520 40TH ST
SACRAMENTO CA 95819
Phone: 916/457-4469
WOODLAND/DAVIS AEROMODELERS
Flying Site Details
9.75 miles 936 131 KERRY ROBERSON
Email Contact PO BOX 74232
DAVIS CA 95841
Phone: 707-447-2701
Visit Website
SACRAMENTO AREA MODELERS
Flying Site Details
10.42 miles 1822 182 STEPHEN BROWN
Email Contact PO BOX 292274
SACRAMENTO CA 95829
Phone: 916.765.3555
Visit Website
HIGH IMPACT FLIERS
Flying Site Details
13.57 miles 5012 14 CARLOS NEGRETE
Email Contact 5265 ANGELROCK LOOP
ROSEVILLE CA 95747
Phone: 916-783-2150
MATHER AEROSPACE MODELERS - Email Club
Flying Site Details
14.59 miles 1243 136 NORMAN POYNTER 9520 EMERALD PARK DR #4
ELK GROVE CA 95610
Phone: 916-681-2663
Visit Website
RED BARONS RC FLYING CLUB
Flying Site Details
17.74 miles 151 128 KEVIN MITCHELL
Email Contact 5336 HUMBOLDT DR
ROCKLIN CA 95661
Phone: 916-632-2978
Visit Website
DIXON MODELERS
20.34 miles 2167 9 DOUGLAS FORD
Email Contact 820 AVON COURT
DIXON CA 95620
Phone: 707-678-9495
Visit Website
Old 12-02-2011, 10:49 PM
mitrocus

I didnt really mean wobbly wobbly, since I put something on it. I meant its kinda like if I pt it to the right it stays there for a while and moves a little bit too the left but not too the middle. Also, the rudder and trimming I want to know the most. How do I trim it an which button does which? And how do I put the rudder in a straight line because its kinda leaning too the right like what others have.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:04 AM
Indy Park Flyer

I have the champ and I believe most of the information you are looking for is in the manual. I am at work right now, or I would check my champ and let you know. From your pics it looks like your rudder is leaning to the right. I would move the rudder so it is centered on the wing, and not leaning to one side or the other, and then I would use some foam-safe CA and put a small drop on the side of the lean. This will help make sure your rudder stays in the correct position. The Champ is a great littel plane, and people have taught themselves to fly using these ultra-micro planes, but I would recommend you at least talk to an instructor at a local field if you haven't flown before so you understand the basics of flight and flying a model airplane. I have been using my champ to teach one of my daughters, and she was able to do most of the basics, in calm winds, after only a few flights and some basic instructions while she was flying. I don't think you can use a buddy box with the champ so it may be difficult to get instruction through the normal methods. The champ is almost indestructable as long as you are flying over grass, so I wouldn't be too worried about damage, but I would keep a bottle of foam-safe CA handy so you can repair the occasional break or crack that can occur from crashes and hard landings. There are many forums and threads devoted to the champ on the internet. Just search under Hobby Zone Champ and you will find a lot of good information. Have fun and enjoy flying
Indy Park Flyer
Old 12-03-2011, 09:22 AM
mitrocus

Actually its just that the manual has absolutely no information for fixing this. Alot of people say check the manual but no information that I can see fixes it.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:49 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

It's very simple. there are two buttons by each stick. If you need to put rt. into the plane to hold level, push the rt. button next to that stick until the wing stays level. If it climbs and you need to hold down, push that button until the planes stops climbing. In other words use the buttons that correspond to the stick movement to correct the plane.
You have two buttons on the bottom of Rt stick. Those control Lt. or RT. of the wing. The two to the Lt.. of the Rt. stick control the trim of the elevator to control the up and down.
One other point. If the trim buttons Lt. of the throttle are not all the way down the airplane with not arm.
I have sold hundreds of these planes. If you have any other questions just send me a PM. Dennis
Old 12-03-2011, 09:55 AM
Indy Park Flyer

From what I can see in your pictures, it looks like you may have a crack where the horizontal stabilizer, and the vertical stabilizer meet, causing the verticle stabilizer to lean to the right. This type of problem can not be fixed with the trim buttons on the transmitter. Look closely on the right side of the verticle stabilizer where the verticle and horizontal stabilizer meet and see if there is a gap, or crack at that point. If there is, move the verticle stabilizer with your hand until it is centered and not leaning and fill in the crack or gap with a drop or two of foam-safe CA. I had to do this to my champ, but I bought it used from someone so I attributed the lean to some hard flying before I got it.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:51 AM
mitrocus

There  are four buttons next to each stick. What does the 2 buttons below the both sticks do and what does the 2 buttons on the side of each stick do?
Old 12-03-2011, 10:59 AM
mitrocus

Also Indy you are right! in the first 2 pictures that thingy with the AERONICA sticker, not the one with the gflyer. I broke on flight, I tried putting tape but later on I notice the rudder was leaning. Were you talking about that plastic thing that holds up the tail with the AERONICA sticker broke off? It didnt really break off itgot a bit cut off. Can I use glue?
Old 12-03-2011, 11:02 AM
DadsToysBG

Foam safe CA and kicker will fix it. Dennis
Old 12-03-2011, 11:22 AM
mitrocus

What about glue?
Old 12-03-2011, 12:33 PM
levram1
My Feedback: (1)

Read the manual!
Old 12-03-2011, 02:01 PM
mitrocus

Well this time the propeller is a bit too the right, I think this happened after a windy flight. It looks like its leaning to the right when the propeller is spinning. Does it affect my pplane?
Old 12-03-2011, 02:03 PM
DadsToysBG

Right thrust is there on purpose. Dennis
Old 12-03-2011, 02:41 PM
mitrocus

Oh yea forgot one thing, it says on the manual about the charger that "if the led stays on for more than 40 minutes while charging ( AND/OR 5 SECOND AFTER REMOVING THE LIPO FLIGHT BATTERY, REPLACE THE A BATTERIES IN THE CHARGER) " what does the part in () mean? So I will know when I have to switch them.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:45 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Indy Park Flyer

From what I can see in your pictures, it looks like you may have a crack where the horizontal stabilizer, and the vertical stabilizer meet, causing the verticle stabilizer to lean to the right. This type of problem can not be fixed with the trim buttons on the transmitter. Look closely on the right side of the verticle stabilizer where the verticle and horizontal stabilizer meet and see if there is a gap, or crack at that point. If there is, move the verticle stabilizer with your hand until it is centered and not leaning and fill in the crack or gap with a drop or two of foam-safe CA. I had to do this to my champ, but I bought it used from someone so I attributed the lean to some hard flying before I got it.

You can tell from those pictures that there is a crack somewhere along the horizontal stab? Oooook.

It looks to me like it is either installed incorrectly or there is a problem with the way the stabs are attached to the fuselage (for this particular model).

I would contact Hobbyzone about this.

CGr.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:03 AM
Daniel-EL
My Feedback: (9)

My HZ Champ was severely out of trim when I received it. It required some wire bending to get the control surfaces to line up properly just to begin trimming it out. It eventually got there, but you must be patient. Some things they don't tell you in the manual: 1) turn on the transmitter first, then plug in the flight battery if you don't want to rebind the xmtr-rcvr every time. 2) Also, every time the XMTR is turned on it defaults to High Rate mode. You must go through the steps to get Low Rate if that's what you want, every time the XMTR is turned on. 3) the battery must be all the way forward to get the CG just right. I made the mistake of having the battery slightly rearward on one flight and could hardly control the model.

So far the model has survived and flies fairly well, once everything is set-up properly.