Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Is Gas Engines a Fad?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Is Gas Engines a Fad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 08:23 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is Gas Engines a Fad?

To me, glow engines are a big part of the hobby. A 2-stroke glow is amazingly simple yet so powerful. If for some reason I had to stop flying I think I would still run my glow engines on the bench. I don't find gas engines appealing in the same way.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:57 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been into RC for the last 50 yrs and have seen a lot of changes over that period. Started to play with electrics in the mid 90s when they first came out flying Zagis with nicads and brush type motors. At that time it was just a fad as I was into glow and gas at the time. When things started to get better with lipos and brushless, I found my air time gradually doubled when I went out to the field. Fully into elec. now. I take about half a dozen planes out to the field from micros, in case it's a calm day, 40 in. 3D foamys. Twist 40 electrified, and a Yellow aircraft Christen Eagle electrified. When I get to the field, I start up a 1000 watt generator that you can hardly hear run, plug two chargers into it, and go The Christen Eagle had a Quadra 50 in it when I bought it around 1995. Last year I converted it to electric with a 3000 watt motor in it. It weighs the same as it did with the Quadra, 18 lbs. As far as noise goes the 22 in prop makes about as much noise as a well muffled 50cc. About a 25% increase in performance. Takes about 40 mins to charge the batts while I fly my other planes. We've come a long way baby
Old 12-31-2011, 10:41 AM
go vertical
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nothing in this hobby is a fad you can fly any power set up you want that is what makes it a great hobby
Old 12-31-2011, 05:39 PM
ES CONTROL

Ok ,  I get it , Gas is not a fad.  I just happened to be the one guy to get a bad ignition on my first gas.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:12 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: go vertical

nothing in this hobby is a fad you can fly any power set up you want that is what makes it a great hobby

That's right, heck people still build rubber band powered aircraft. I wonder if anyone thought back then that the first engine free flight powered models was a fad?

Pete