Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I Dont Have IT

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I Dont Have IT

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 02:43 PM
DougB1
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I Dont Have IT

ORIGINAL: AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: skeeter_ca
You still don't have the mindset to be ahead of the plane.
skeeter

I fully understand well ahead of the plane.

but now I see a PT-60 or high wing trainer closes so fast at training pace I'm not sure the mindset required and stress of staying ahead of the plane is appealing to me as enjoyment.

I am an instructor and when flying someone "new" I only fly the plane about 1/2 throttle or so. By doing this it gives the new pilot time to be with the plane and not trying to catch up or stay ahead of it. As he/she gets more use to the plane we advance the power a little more till "I" feel they can fly the plane without playing catch up constantly. Plus I always have them fly 3 or more mistakes high to give "ME" time to recover as not to have a mishap with "their equipment".
Just My 2 cents Worth
Doug
Old 01-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't be so hard on your self. I had the same thing happen 33 years ago. I held the ailerons during a turn with my brand new Falcon 56 Mark II, and Irolled it into a spiral.The instructorcouldn't save it in time, it wasn't his fault.No BB back then. Don't blame yourself or the instructor sh*t happens. It's part of the hobby. Luckly, we built our trainers 30 years back, so I repaired it in a week. As for the suggestions of replacing it with aflying beer coolers. Ilike old school.

Jim

Bought the sim, bought and builtfrom the list of the recommended trainers, found a club/instructor....

3 rd lap around = lawn dart.

Ouch !!!!!That was a costly trial run.

Some dont have it what it takes. Me.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Handiman
My Feedback: (2)

I have tried a sim and to me it is nothing like the real thing so I dont do it.
Now I have been flying a ParkZone Spitfire. It is foam and it flys quickly.
Most of the time when I am going down wind I have it at 1/4 throttle and go back to 1/2 - 3/4 just before I start my turn up wind.
Then I will use between 1/2 and full throttle depending on what I want to do.
Get something that we survive a cople of crashes. Stay away from wood for now.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:54 AM
AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: Jim_Purcha

Luckly, we built our trainers 30 years back, so I repaired it in a week. As for the suggestions of replacing it with aflying beer coolers. Ilike old school.

Jim

I dont really want a styrofoam electric plane......but the idea of being able to fly at a park on your own and not have to go to a club is very appealing.

Again Ifully expect to crash......just didnt expect to crash within 2-3 minutes of the maiden flight and earn the scorn of the club leadership.

I tried to do what I was told...sim, trainer, club, instructor and ended up with little to show for it and nothing to fly.

Maybe boats would be better.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:01 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a stony path en-route to flying competence.

The great majority fall by the wayside ... often because they can't handle the many disappointments.

You've had a bad start. ISTM that you have slightly unrealistic expectations of yourself; and that you got saddled with a duff instructor. That's how I interpret this thread, anyway.

The best way to start is "baby steps". Seek as many advantages as you can.

Good instructor; stable (easy-peasy) aeroplane; kind weather; directed study. That'll do for starters.

There are very few people who "don't have it", but there are huge numbers of people who "never discover it".

It's really tough, I know. You need a bit of luck in finding the right mentors.

Of course, it would be nice to hear the instructor's side of the story.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:18 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

He is a good man..... not his fault.... mine...I knewthe option to do or not do without the buddy box.

The whole time I was headed out to the line I was telling myself ...I am not going to do this w/out the BB

but when it was at altitude and trimmed and he asked...Ijust took it.

It is not like RealFlight....which I am pretty proficient at flying in a realistic manner.

That plane was flat moving out.....I didnt expect the high wing trainer to be so fast. I was pretty good till the downwind leg and the 15 mph increase instantly toward me.
My Pet Peve with most instructors is they let their students do 3 bad things 1. Fly too far away. 2. Let the student get too low. 3. Go too fast. Full power is for Take off and aerobatic maneuvers only. Learn to slow down give your self time to think. U have to learn slow flight to land anyway, why not get used to slow flight right away. Slow flight also teaches U don't have to go over a 30 degree bank. ... Two things I stress are do a good control check just before taxi out and NEVER NEVER take your eyes off your airplane... not even when your trimming it or when the instructor has control. One other thing I like a student to repeat a command to start with ... that way I know they heard what I said because I talk softly and can be facing the other way, and Us older gentelman can be a little hard of hearing or just concentrationg so hard they block out things like turn left ... YOUROTHER LEFT ....
Old 01-20-2012, 06:46 AM
Handiman

I understand you dont want a foam plane.
There are some that you have no idea they are foam until you touch them. Get close enough.
But with a foam plane you have a much greater chance to but the battery back in and fly right then.
I have never crashed a balsa plane and flown again that day.
You will spend $100-$200 on it and when you have 10 hours of flying time you can throw it away or give it to someone else starting out and get the plane you want.
Do want you want but I just  want to see people fly without getting upset or quiting the sport all together.
Thats all.
You will crash. It is much better to get it over with now. As you buy those bigger planes even the small ones are expensive.
Of coarse I enjoy the build/repair process almost as much as the flying. Also after you spend the winter building a plane and it comes down unexpectdly it hurts much worse.

Good Luck
Old 01-20-2012, 08:20 AM
tryingagain

At what point in your throttle throw was the barrel of the carb wide open? In other words is half throttle on the Tx half throttle on the carb? I have had engines that, until you played with the linkage and radio, were wide open at half throw. You may well have it all set up properly but when I hear (or read) that a PT 60 was screaming fast and the stick was only at half throttle I have to wonder. If it was wide open before full throw that is something else you instructor should have caught.

I will echo the rest. Do not let a crash discourage you! Most wrecks are going to be the subject of some good natured jokes and ribbing but if the entire gallery was disparaging and critical. You need to find another club. I would love to find out how many of the guys behind you have never crashed. We have a couple of those. Oh, their planes have had sudden and catastrophic meetings with Mother Earth but it was never their fault so it doesn't count as a crash. (Yeah.... Right!)

Good Luck and keep on trying.

Cheers

Gord
Old 01-20-2012, 09:04 AM
AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: bogbeagle
Of course, it would be nice to hear the instructor's side of the story.

What is the insinuation ?
Old 01-20-2012, 09:08 AM
AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: tryingagain

At what point in your throttle throw was the barrel of the carb wide open? In other words is half throttle on the Tx half throttle on the carb? I have had engines that, until you played with the linkage and radio, were wide open at half throw. You may well have it all set up properly but when I hear (or read) that a PT 60 was screaming fast and the stick was only at half throttle I have to wonder. If it was wide open before full throw that is something else you instructor should have caught.
He set it up....I dont know.

Seemed like it was hauling butt..... so fast Iam notgoing to try it again.

Ill get an eletric glider and go to a park and get my slow on.

I am not going touch the sim as it very unrealistic as to the speed

Old 01-20-2012, 10:50 AM
ATVAlliance

Once you get it down...you will want that speed back. lol

Im at the point now where it feels like all of my planes are too slow. Fastest thing Im flying at the moment is a stock Stryker "C" model and that is just under 80MPH out of a dive.

When I first flew my trainer....WOT on the little .46 glow seemed like it was too fast. But again...once I learned and got my nerves under control, it became so slow that I ended up selling it and the backup trainer I had. Just didnt find it fun to fly them any more because they were slow reacting and slow in speed.

You will get there...and when you do, you'll be having a blast!
Old 01-20-2012, 03:35 PM
HoundDog

It's called throttle management ... on mode 2 xmitters it is accomplished with the left stick ... the right stick on mode 1's ... Flying in a park with a electric glider is a viable solution also good luck to ya, seriosuly hope ya succed. It's about having a good time and the satisfaction of doing it safely.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:03 PM
AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: HoundDog
Flying in a park with a electric glider is a viable solution also good luck to ya, seriosuly hope ya succed. It's about having a good time and the satisfaction of doing it safely.
Not sure if serious.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:06 PM
AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: ATVAlliance
Just didnt find it fun to fly them any more because they were slow reacting and slow in speed.

You will get there...and when you do, you'll be having a blast!
I see folks flying and it does seem so relaxed .......like I can fly on the sim.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:38 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

When the plane is screaming around at full throttle it does seem fast to a beginner, after you get some time on a trainer
full speed is actually kind of slow, your first flight you were unable to keep up with the plane, after a while the plane won't
be able to do what you want it to. when you move up to a more advanced plane that too will seem fast and very responsive.
Once you get the hang of it you will start to look like one of those guys that is relaxed and enjoying yourself. Flying RC airplanes
is all about stick time and practice. Sorry about your loss of the PT60, my first trainer was a PT40 that I built myself, what an
awesome feeling when my instructor took off and I saw the plane I built fly around, the scariest part was when I flew it myself.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:35 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Ask around at your club to see if there are any instructors who teach on their own planes. That will get you back in the air and chances are their planes are set up perfectly, letting you see what it's supposed to fly like.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Auger, you think your situation is tragic. My first rc plane was a Midwest Sweet Stick (my parents bought me the Falcon 56) out of paper route money. I built a warp in the wing. It looped on the runway and crashed in less than 10 seconds. My sister had a laugh when I walked into the back yard gate with a half a wing and a fuselage under my arm. "That is so great. You spent all winter building it and you crashed it the first time out".

Keep it up it take time. Sometimes decades.

Jim

ORIGINAL: Jim_Purcha

Luckly, we built our trainers 30 years back, so I repaired it in a week. As for the suggestions of replacing it with aflying beer coolers. Ilike old school.

Jim

I dont really want a styrofoam electric plane......but the idea of being able to fly at a park on your own and not have to go to a club is very appealing.

Again Ifully expect to crash......just didnt expect to crash within 2-3 minutes of the maiden flight and earn the scorn of the club leadership.

I tried to do what I was told...sim, trainer, club, instructor and ended up with little to show for it and nothing to fly.

Maybe boats would be better.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:23 AM
AugerDawger

I am reading on another forum that it is the trainees responsibility to insure the instructor is competent.......

I asked the club VP and Pres who I should reach out to, then followed their advice and his direction.....although he left the most critical decision to me and I failed.

That is pretty whacked.

I am kinda starting to get pissed.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:40 AM
jp_boud

Auger, A little bit of tough love here....in the hobby of rc airplanes, it is a guarentee you are going to crash the plane you invested time, money, or time and money into. No one likes to crash, but it's not a matter of if, it's when! If you stick with this hobby you will crash another plane one day. I drove my first trainer into the concrete so hard, I picked up the piston and connectiong rod! That made me want to learn even more. If you are struggling this much with your first crash, this much internal angst; maybe you're right you don't have it, and RC planes are not for you. If this experience has left you wanting to get back out and show those same guys you crashed in front of, that you can fly a RC plane, then you do have. It just needs to be refined some. I've been flying for two years and have passed my instructors skills. I have been asked to maiden planes by some of the same people that watched that crash. Time to "man up" and move on! (Hopefully into another plane, and back to that same field)

JP
Old 01-21-2012, 04:51 AM
AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: jp_boud

Time to "man up" and move on! (Hopefully into another plane, and back to that same field)
JP

Can I be more clear as to crashing and the inevitablity thereof

Crashing within 3 minutes of the first flight of the plane (my first time ever with a Tx in hand) with an instructor at my side (directed to me by the "club"), recommended trainers, recommended simulator

I did what I was supposed to do....I thought....and from I what read here.

Now I seeI didnt choose or vet my instructor properly (still trying to figure that out), I needed to request the buddy box, I make the critical decisionsduring training and Ineed to man up.

Well I will "man up" and break the VIsa outand hope I find the right instructor while I smoke planes into the dirt until I get it right.

As Iread more about clubs and newbs perhaps this was the way to vet me from the club.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:53 AM
AugerDawger

dupe

Old 01-21-2012, 05:04 AM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: jp_boud

Time to "man up" and move on! (Hopefully into another plane, and back to that same field)
JP

Can I be more clear as to crashing and the inevitablity thereof

Crashing within 3 minutes of the first flight of the plane (my first time ever with a Tx in hand) with an instructor at my side (directed to me by the "club"), recommended trainers, recommended simulator

I did what I was supposed to do....I thought....and from I what read here.

Now I seeI didnt choose or vet my instructor properly (still trying to figure that out), I needed to request the buddy box, I make the critical decisionsduring training and Ineed to man up.

Well I will "man up" and break the VIsa outand hope I find the right instructor while I smoke planes into the dirt until I get it right.

As Iread more about clubs and newbs perhaps this was the way to vet me from the club.
AugerDawger Guess RC Flying ain't for you ...Got a Sail Boat I'll Sell ya Cheap . U'll havve to furnish ur own lawn chair and Beer thou ..........
Old 01-21-2012, 05:06 AM
AugerDawger

AugerDawger Guess RC Flying ain't for you ...Got a Sail Bote I'll Sell ya Cheap . U'll havve to furnish ur own lawn chair and Beer thou ..........
Great so butt out of my thread or do you find joy in potshots at folks looking for help hardtail ?
Old 01-21-2012, 05:50 AM
HoundDog

AugerDawger Guess RC Flying ain't for you ...Got a Sail Bote I'll Sell ya Cheap . U'll havve to furnish ur own lawn chair and Beer thou ..........
Great so butt out of my thread or do you find joy in potshots at folks looking for help hardtail ?
Sorry ... But it sounds like U don't want help U just want to feel sorry for your self ... just get another plane and learn to fly
Question Why doesn't your profile show where you are from?

Old 01-21-2012, 06:07 AM
AugerDawger

Sorry ... But it sounds like U don't want help U just want to feel sorry for your self ... just get another plane and learn to fly
Question Why doesn't your profile show where you are from?

Not going to butt out eh....keep coming back?

Nice.

Perhaps your superiority prevents you from seeing....the help yougive is the same help that got me where I am today and my fear of spending time and money to follow the same courseand expectdifferent results?

I did my due dillegence and exactly what was suggested....even choose a gold level AMA club and followed their direction....whatever that is.

My profile doesnt show whereI am from causeIam not going to identify the club or instructor as Ifelt they where nice to me. Ijust didnt realize the owness to make decisions is completly on me as the student......much different than real flight instruction.Now Ido.

Though I dont suspect the student calling the shots is going to go over well either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.