Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I Dont Have IT

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I Dont Have IT

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 03:32 AM
koastrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I Dont Have IT

I have enjoyed all the comments. Could go on and talk about what I have done and what should happen in your journey to becoming a R/C pilot. To say "I don't have It" is not what I think. In all the years of teaching flying it is hard to tell at first who does have it. There is a lot of hero fliers out there that I figured would never learn. I do ask you try to understand most of the comments on this or any other forum is trying to help. You take care and hang in there. Building and flying these things can be rewarding. You will make many friends. You will find yourself going to work and saying something like this would be a great day to fly. Perhaps it is how you feel about this sport is the real test if you have it or not.
Like many others have pointed out. We have all landed a few inches to low.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:47 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: pdm52956
Now the student has a bag of sticks. A bunch of guys in the pits laughing.

They were pissed and on him as to why I was flying off the BB.

Well, that just supports what I and others have already said.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:01 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SO WHAT YOU TOOK A FEW WACKS. I can take it.

It is about expectations... people in this hobby set impossible high expectations for new fliers. Sure you can find a $100 plane or heli... you can even buy someones 4th hand plane and engine.

As you are talking to potential fliers... you (and I) need to mention the true cost of flying. IT INCLUDES CRASHES. If you are helping someone that can barely afford the first plane... you are doing him no favors by not explaining it to him/her.

Maybe you did not really understand the responsibility you were taking when you took the radio, but you sure do now.... and $300 is not that bad when most of the expensive items can be salvaged. Come talk to me when you have lost a $1,200 plane on the maiden flight. I have and I did not whine about it. It was my fault, entirely, no one else. You can point the finger around, but just like the NTSB reports, the PIC is solely responsible. Learn it, live it. That is why they call it the school of hard knocks. You learned an invaluable lesson that may pay off ten fold in other aspects of your life.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:08 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Many people don't have it.
Many others don't get it.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:53 AM
FULLTILT
My Feedback: (3)

i have to agree, it should not have been an option, especially for your first time up. As an "instructor", you make the calls. If you are an experienced instructor, you know what the possibillities are and you assume the responsibility for the outcome unless it is totally out of your control. You begin by doing what you have too to get it within your control and a buddy box on the first flight is a "no brainer". As an instructor, you must also take into consideration the person you are helping. It is usually his plane, his money and you should never jeopardize the safety of everyone involved as well as those around you.
Besides the fact that it is a unique tool, at everyones finger tips, and with the right person, it is virtually impossible for this scenario to happen. It just doesn't make any sense to do it any other way.
Don't give up, this hobby is great, and can provide lots of fun and excitement. Just get restarted on the right foot and maybe try another instructor. Just for the heck of it.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:21 AM
ES CONTROL

Again More  Flight Simulator time and no instructor is needed!  

However A instructor is a good idea.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:39 AM
on_your_six

I am a huge proponent of flight simulators... you will do well if you use it correctly... that means flying the pattern... landing and taking off until you can do it in your sleep.

The actual use of Nitro engines will require assistance... learning to tune and all the field rules will require an instructor..

No... I will not hand the box to a first timer... they have to be on a buddy box for me to be willing to train them.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:44 AM
DougB1

It would have been nice if he could have found a club that had their own training planes to teach new pilots. Our club has 3 glow trainers and 2 electrics to take up interested and new pilots so it really falls upon the instructors to make sure that (1) the planes are in good flying condition and (2) they pay attention to what the pilot is doing so the plane stays in one piece and that the interested new pilot has a good first experience so they will either come back and try it again ( we allow them to come back 3 times ) or buy their own plane and equipment. If a pilot comes with their own plane and equipment we will have at least 2 experienced members ( these guys are the ones that don't like to take anyone up but are excellent grounds crew) that goes over the plane and equipment before it is even started. I have talked to people that are interested in getting started that have told me they want to check out our club and the instructing methods and then go to a couple others to see what they have to offer. GUESS WHAT, these guys/girls usually ALWAYS come back to us because of what our club has to offer, such as having our own planes to teach on,buddy boxes, information that was given to them be it magazines,where to go to get information, even other clubs to check out, but most of all OUR KNOWLEDGE & BEING FRIENDLY
So to me it is up to the person interested in getting into this hobby to check things out first to find the best route to take before even getting into the air.
Just wanted to add another 2cents worth
DougB1
Old 01-22-2012, 08:45 AM
ES CONTROL

The best Instructor ?   Is Your best friend !   

Your best friend will buy and build your next plane if he crashes it.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:58 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

The seniors of the club viewed it not as the inevitable crash.................but a *** are you doing flying moment. Many the type of Southern men I would work to someday gain the respect and wisdom of.

That plane was clipping along at a very quick pace in an out of control fashion and in a banked base leg turn the thought of the appropriate time and manner in which to hand off and say I am out of my lane with this ....was crossing my mind.

I really fly in a controlled, scale manner on the sim and bigscreen tv....nothing like the real thing in my 3 min of experience.

I have looked at every trainer option and really dont want an ARF.....the USA Balsa stik could work....but I like that 70 inch wing size.

Maybe another PT-60 and three more rolls of Solartek.......

"quick pace"- this is the second post that you have said the plane was moving along fast. Use the thottle. So many pilots (including my instructor), never said to pull back the throttle and cruise. Just peg it and forget it. When I'm instructing, the throttle gets worked on the first and every flight after. Your instructor should have known better.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:37 AM
AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

You can point the finger around, but just like the NTSB reports, the PIC is solely responsible. Learn it, live it. That is why they call it the school of hard knocks. You learned an invaluable lesson that may pay off ten fold in other aspects of your life.

Please tell ohrich and wiseair ace

What valuable lesson did I learnto pay off in my life ?

Old 01-22-2012, 11:39 AM
AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

"quick pace"- this is the second post that you have said the plane was moving along fast. Use the thottle. So many pilots (including my instructor), never said to pull back the throttle and cruise. Just peg it and forget it. When I'm instructing, the throttle gets worked on the first and every flight after. Your instructor should have known better.
He told me not touch the throttle or rudder.

Is this another thing Ishould have just done on my own or known to do on my own against what my AMA Gold Level Instructor was telling me ?

Old 01-22-2012, 11:42 AM
My Feedback: (4)

The actual use of Nitro engines will require assistance... learning to tune and all the field rules will require an instructor..

Not really. These engines are not complex. There's two needles to set and there's plenty of videos on the internet of engines running rich, lean and good. Doing the homework and learning what the two needles do is more than sufficient to get the engine tuned well enough to fly an airplane. You can also buy a car and learn on that, those engines tune exactly the same as aircraft engines for the most part. I will admit an idle speed needle isn't on aircraft for the most part, and if it is it isn't used, but the high speed and low speed mixture needles work exactly the same, and those engines carry far less risk of destruction if they stall. Car just rolls to a halt. Usually come with instructional videos in the box as well. The good ones do.

You can point the finger around, but just like the NTSB reports, the PIC is solely responsible. Learn it, live it. That is why they call it the school of hard knocks. You learned an invaluable lesson that may pay off ten fold in other aspects of your life.

Please tell oh rich and wise air ace

What valuable lesson did I learn to pay off in my life ?

Internet tough guys are a pain in the ass and are to be ignored?

''quick pace''- this is the second post that you have said the plane was moving along fast. Use the thottle. So many pilots (including my instructor), never said to pull back the throttle and cruise. Just peg it and forget it. When I'm instructing, the throttle gets worked on the first and every flight after. Your instructor should have known better.

Is this another thing I should have just done on my own or known to do on my own against what my AMA Gold Level Instructor was telling me ?

....wat

Find a new instructor. The rudder is key for making smooth turns, and the throttle is not a "set and forget" switch. Any instructor who says not to touch the throttle or rudder is one who needs to stop instructing.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:50 AM
AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

Many people don't have it.
Many others don't get it.
This.

There is value in kinowing one's place in the order of things.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:02 PM
AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: 378
Find a new instructor. The rudder is key for making smooth turns, and the throttle is not a "set and forget" switch. Any instructor who says not to touch the throttle or rudder is one who needs to stop instructing.
Well not touch it on my early flights. Not as a regular flying practice Im sure.

These are good people who Iwatched fly their highly advanced planes very capably. I am certain it was just the circumstances and Iultimately and still own taking the Tx.

I am working on a fuselage jig

Found some stick fuse plans I know Ican build.

I also discovered sheeting foam wings and have about a bazillion youtube instructionals...I can do that. I can get 3/8 stock and sheeting at the same place Iget the foam wings flatbottom airfoil highwing trianer style.

Maybe I cant fly...... butcan build and cover..... the old dudes airworthinessapprovedmy first one.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:15 PM
flyboy138

[X(]

'.....that plane was flat getting it on.

I was told not to touch the throttle or the rudder and do pattern laps......

As he flew it around I was thinking the bands would pop at any minute.
I was told not to touch the throttle or the rudder.What the heck[X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(]
Old 01-22-2012, 12:25 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

''quick pace''- this is the second post that you have said the plane was moving along fast. Use the thottle. So many pilots (including my instructor), never said to pull back the throttle and cruise. Just peg it and forget it. When I'm instructing, the throttle gets worked on the first and every flight after. Your instructor should have known better.

Is this another thing I should have just done on my own or known to do on my own against what my AMA Gold Level Instructor was telling me ?

Of course you wouldn't have done it on your own. You had a top notch instructor there to supervise. He was the one calling the shots.

AMA Gold Level Instructor- Is there really such a thing?
Old 01-22-2012, 12:27 PM
overbored77

Auger, I don't know why you are already coming to the conclusion that you can't fly. a few laps and a crash shouldn't have you
saying "maybe I can't fly" what happened to your plane is very unfortunate, but whether or not you went to a PLATINUM club with
GOLD trim the instructor should have never handed you the transmitter. It is the instructors job to make the decisions regarding your
training. I have instructed pilots and would never hand a transmitter to a student on his first flight with no buddy box, if there was
no buddy box available, you would not have flown until one was, or you would use my trainer . Please stop kicking yourself in the
arse and get back in the air.

A few other opinions: If someone wants to join this hobby, it is not my responsibilty as an instructor or fellow club member to judge him
based on his words or looks, and tell him that this is an expensive hobby and maybe he shouldn't be doing it. This is one of the reasons
I see beginner pilots saying the would rather not join a club and go the park flyer route.

If a person is an instructor and wants to teach rudder, it the instructor, and only the instructors decision. throttle control is mandatory but
if someone is having a hard time with just elevator and aileron then I will set the throttle to 1/2 and let him get used to flying circles before
adding any other controls. Again the instructor should be calling the shots not the student.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:06 PM
on_your_six

Sir you have indeed corrected me... I cannot teach you a thing... because you already know it all.

Please tell oh rich and wise air ace
What valuable lesson did I learn to pay off in my life ?
Old 01-22-2012, 02:16 PM
on_your_six

I talk to many rail birds over the course of a year... I try to give them an accurate forecast of the cost, not a rose colored glasses view. I am not judging them, I am giving the information that they need in determining whether to proceed. If I learn that the guy is just barely making ends meet and has a baby on the way... I will tell him to wait until he can afford to do it. Nothing wrong with that. I will also tell the person cheaper ways to get going, like flying in the park or a vacant baseball diamond...where they don't have to pay AMA and field dues. In that conversation... I always mention the cost of crashing... some people cannot handle failure very well.... and in this hobby you will fail at times... that is why it is not for everyone. The crashes always sort out the fliers.

So I am an internet tough guy??? I stated the obvious... how is that being a tough guy?? My failures are numerous, I get back up, dust myself off, and try again. At some point, I will concede total failure, but it does not happen often. He took the radio when offered... he knew the risks... I would not have offered the box to someone so green, but I have also trimmed planes to fly hands off and handed the box back to the owner who promptly crashes. There are no certainties in life.

ORIGINAL: overbored77
A few other opinions: If someone wants to join this hobby, it is not my responsibilty as an instructor or fellow club member to judge him
based on his words or looks, and tell him that this is an expensive hobby and maybe he shouldn't be doing it. This is one of the reasons
I see beginner pilots saying the would rather not join a club and go the park flyer route.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:39 PM
straitnickel

Oh yes you do
Old 01-22-2012, 04:32 PM
MX5Seeker

I talk to many rail birds over the course of a year...

What's a "rail bird"?
Old 01-22-2012, 05:32 PM
ES CONTROL

We are solving the worlds problems right here. 
  Keep talkin boys!
Old 01-22-2012, 07:34 PM
BGCombs
My Feedback: (24)

Auger,

I am located in Simpsonville, SC. Just Southeast of Greenville SC. I am a junior instructor with our club, and would love to invite you to come and fly with us. I dont' know where you are, but if you are close enought to upstate SC, I have several planes I train on and a DX7s buddy box preset for the tranier planes in the trailer ready to go. I know you said you don't want a foam plane, but I'd suggest a Parkzone T-28 Trojan to get your wings with. Many of our new pilots have learned to fly with them. They are very durable, can be fixed with hot glue and packing tape at the field, and parts are low cost and readily available if you really crash one to pieces. Many of our new pilots end up keeping them flying, adding lights to fly at night, or larger motors and power systems, flaps, retracts, etc. as they gain experience. I have one battle scarred in the trailer for fun and training, because when the crash happens, it's back in the air in 10 minutes or less.

If you are close enough, PM or email me. I'd be glad to help you get comfortable with the basics, and able to enjoy relaxed flying..... You are welcome to try my foam Radian too. Also a great first plane tha't easy to fix and fly. You might be surprised.

Byron
Old 01-22-2012, 07:59 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Come on man, what is one plane lost? I have crashed many and I am still here, flying and trying to to crash anymore . 
Stop whining and get another plane and go up again. All of us have being there and done that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.