Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Any good?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Any good?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 02:12 PM
Dr_Madd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any good?

Well, I have wanted to get into this hobby for a very long time. Yesterday I saw an ad in our local on-line classifieds for a couple of planes and gear. I ended up with quite a bit of stuff for $50. I charged everything up over night and all flight controls move fine and everything seems to work. The battery in the starter box is dead so I will have to replace that for sure. I guess I should replace ALL batteries since they are pretty old. He said both planes were flying fine when he put them in the attic. Here is a link to a couple photos of what I got. Please take a peek and let me know if its any good. BE HONEST! Thanks, looking forward to going to our local field and watching for a while to learn. I will take the single wing out and see if one of the locals can get it in the air and start teaching me. I just retired from 22 years in the AF and need a hobby LOL.

Here is the link

http://www.topfamilycams.com/planes/planes.htm
Old 09-01-2003, 02:50 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Any good?

Well fifty dollars is quite a steal. The Kraft radio is obsolete and can no longer be legally used unless it has been narrow banded as evidenced by a gold color sticker on the tx somewhere. The cutoff for narrowbanding is long gone and can no longer be done. The other radio may or may not be in the same boat, can,t see what it is.

The Steen Skybolt bipane will be a ways up the line on the skills level climb. The trainer is ideal and is what you should concentrate on.

The singular most important thing for you to do now before doing anything is to seek out a club and mentor (instructor) to get involved with and for guidence. This will assure your goal of that dream of flight.

Welcome to the board

John
Old 09-01-2003, 02:55 PM
midnitedew

Default Any good?

wanna sell the bi-plane?
Old 09-01-2003, 03:39 PM
Dr_Madd

Default Any good?

Thanks John,

I have already located and been in contact with a member of our local club. I am going to go watch them next week. The Kraft does have a gold sticker on the back but I am not sure its the one to identify that the TX has been narrow banded. I doubt I would ever fly the bi-plane anyway, it looks like it would be a tough one to fly. The guy I got the stuff from tod me they had to modify the plane to get the larger motor to fit. He said you could almost stand the plane on its tail and hover it. He told me he has flown it a few times but never landed it. He always passed the stick to someone else for landing.

Midnight,

I do not want to sell the bi-plane but I may consider a trade for a plane that I might be able to fly a little easier.

I added a couple more photos to that link including one of the Futaba TX for the other plane.

Thanks all!!
Old 09-01-2003, 06:28 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any good?

Dr. Madd,

You got a terrific deal whether either of the transmitter/receiver combos are useable or not.

You'll have to ask your future instructor, but I believe the Futaba will be okay. (The trainer certainly should be.)

As for the biplane; I have a Cermark Bobcat, with a Thunder Tiger .42 (2 stroke) and all the servos that I'd like to trade for it.

It's a 40 size low wing sport plane that's fairly docile on landing, but capable of many aerobatics. You could probably use it as a second plane once you've gotten use to the trainer.

If you're interested, I'll take some photos and post them.
Dennis-
Old 09-01-2003, 07:22 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any good?

LUCKY DUCK!!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2003, 07:42 PM
Spaceclam

Default Any good?

the battery in the lfight box is a lead acid battery, that means it is rechargable. the carburator should have been closed or plugged when he put it up there. if it isn't, you should take the engine apart and clean it wth rubbing alcohol. on it's first run, run a tank of 5% nitro, 20% oil through it to clear out whatever, and get the engine back in shape. however, yes, all flight batteries should be replaced. if one goes bad, you will loose the plane. i know it was only $50, but there is an emotional factor involved
Old 09-01-2003, 09:59 PM
Dr_Madd

Default Any good?

Thanks all,

The Futaba is an AM radio but has been "narrow banded" so it should be ok for now. I think the trainer will be fine as is and should need little to get it going.

The controls on the Bi=plane seem a little slow to respond in comparison to the other plane. May just be the way it was back when this one was built. It is probably a mid 80s model. But, its looks darn good for its age.

I tried charging the batter in the starter box. There was an AC wall adaptor with alligator clips on it in the box. I put that on the posts for the starter on the side of the box and that made the pump work but did not charge the battery. Maybe I should place those clips right on the battery.

Was going to try and start the trainer today but decided to hold off until some one that knows what they are doing can look at it. No sense in messing somthing up. I will throw the can of fuel away that came with this setup though, I am pretty sure its no good LOL.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:54 AM
Spaceclam

Default Any good?

the servos on the bipe are probably slower because they are higher torque. a larger plane as such needs more torque, and without gettting really expensive, the only way to do that is to gear it down more. that's why it is slow. if you want them to get a little faster, switch the pack inside to a 6 volt pack.