Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Better Second Plane

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Better Second Plane

Old 09-02-2003, 01:00 PM
jkinosh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better Second Plane

I am starting to think about my winter building project, and am not sure. I am thinking about either a Great Planes Giles 202 or a Great Planes Tracer. I will also be purchasing either a Uproar or a Dazzler (Seem to be the same plane just different logos).

Let me know what you guys think. This will be my first low wing plane, I am still working with my instructor on my trainer, but am progressing very nicely, and think I should be ready. If not, I will leave them in the hanger till I am ready.

I really enjoyed the building process as much as the flying.

Thanks for you help,

Jacob
Old 09-02-2003, 01:13 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Neither the Great Planes Giles 202 or a Great Planes Tracer would be a good choice for a second plane, They are much more advanced than that. I can't speak for the other two, as I've never flown them, but from seeing them, I wouldn't recommend either.

If it's this late in the season, and you're still buddy boxing, I would recommend something like GP's Easy Sport, Or Goldberg's Falcon. For that matter, most semi-symmetrical, shoulder wing plane would do nicely (Like anything from the Stik Series).

If you are determined to go low wing, Stick to something more forgiving like a 4* or a Goldberg Tiger.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:37 PM
jkinosh

What about the SIG Somethin' Extra. I would really like to try something a little more scale looking and sporty. I know it seems like I have been flying for a while and still haven't solo'd, but Life has gotten is the way this past summer. I was married the end of last summer, and bought a new home the beginning of this summer. Every time the weather has cooperated, the wife has come up with projects for me to do.

At the end of last season, my instructor said I was probably only a few more flights away from being able to solo.

Thanks,

Jacob
Old 09-02-2003, 07:25 PM
hoops
My Feedback: (121)

I've been told by a flier at my field that has a SE that in his opinion, if the controls are set for mild deflections, it would make a descent trainer.
I know that the Kavalier by SIG is a very nice flying second plane. Very smooth and forgiving. Almost lands itself. A tricycle gear may be a better choice as you continue to learn, but of course that's up to you.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:08 PM
midnitedew

take a gander at the Great Planes Venus.... read the review on rcuniverse.com and read some threads on here ... sounds like a nice straight flying bird with character...
Old 09-02-2003, 10:21 PM
wildnloose

Depends on your personality. If you are like me, you will change your mind a dozen times before you are ready to move up.

Or you could just keep flying that trainer until you get rrreeeaaalll good at it (3D'ing), then your question will be more like "What do I want to fly next???"

btw-thats how I did it My 2nd plane is what most people would consider their 3rd plane
Old 09-03-2003, 12:22 AM
Out in the Stix

Sig Somethin Extra. After a good week or so of research here on RCU I concluded that the Sig Somethin Extra would be my second plane. As for a winter project the SE is not good. From what I gathered from my research, the SE is a very very quik bulding plane. Although I have not built it yet and don't know how fast it will build I am going to have skis handy. Hope that helps.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:08 AM
ZeppelinIII

Another vote for the SIG Kavelier....great flying airplane. Can fly real gental, basically the same as your trainer, but can step it up a lot too....increase the throws to maximum (or a tad beyond) and you can work on pretty much any manuvers (i can't spell....) you want to...

good building plane, outstanding flier....
Old 09-03-2003, 02:47 PM
jkinosh

What do you guys think about the Great Planes Ultra Sport. Very Similiar to the SIG Kougar.

Any suggestions on a cheap source for kits would be great to.

thanks,

Jacob
Old 09-03-2003, 04:16 PM
Dauntae

the ultrasport 40+ would be OK only if you master the trainer, could be used as a second but not an easy one, Tends to come in a bit hot and moves pretty fast in the sky, but if your good with your trainer you might handle it ok with the CG forward and the rates low. Nice building kit too. I would not recomend the Venus, That one comes in hot and fast all the way, The US+ is mine the Venus is a friends.

Dauntae
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	107080_11110.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	59609  
Old 09-03-2003, 04:19 PM
ZeppelinIII

In my mind a SIG Kougar is more of a 3rd airplane....wants to go fast and faster (including takoff and landing)......
Old 09-03-2003, 04:24 PM
jkinosh

Thanks for the words of advice.

What else might you guys recommend. I would really like something that is toward the sporty side, so that I would be able to learn 3D with it after flying it a while. It must also be a good fun build. I really enjoy building. I built my trainer, a PT-40, in about 2 weeks. That was just working on it in the evenings after getting home from work.

Could someone suggest something sort of like a Giles, Edge, or Extra. I really like the look of these planes and would like to be able to do some really interesting graphics on them.

Thanks Again,

Jacob
Old 09-03-2003, 04:46 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

If you are looking for a second plane and an actual kit, not an ARF, I would recommend a Sig 4-Star.

Better yet, get yourself a Stick for a second plane and built the 4-Star for your 3rd plane. Clip one rib off each side and use a .46 on the 40 size or a .91 on the 60 size. You'll be hard pressed to find something better for raising your flying skills.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:53 PM
hookedonrc

My second plane was the SIG 4*60 with an OS91 Surpass as the engine. Real stable, easy on approaches and take off and a real fun plane to fly.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:57 PM
Out in the Stix

SIG SOMETHIN' EXTRA
SIG SOMETHIN' EXTRA
SIG SOMETHIN' EXTRA
SIG SOMETHIN' EXTRA
SIG SOMETHIN' EXTRA
SIG SOMETHIN' EXTRA
SIG SOMETHIN' EXTRA
SIG SOMETHIN' EXTRA
SIG SOMETHIN' EXTRA

The Somethin' Extra is a sporty version of the Extra.

Click Here for photo
Old 09-04-2003, 02:52 AM
jkinosh

Originally posted by 13yroldpilot
SIG SOMETHIN' EXTRA
SIG SOMETHIN' EXTRA
SIG SOMETHIN' EXTRA
SIG SOMETHIN' EXTRA
SIG SOMETHIN' EXTRA
SIG SOMETHIN' EXTRA
SIG SOMETHIN' EXTRA
SIG SOMETHIN' EXTRA
SIG SOMETHIN' EXTRA

The Somethin' Extra is a sporty version of the Extra.

Click Here for photo
This I knew, but how good of a second plane is it.

Also what about the Goldberg Tiger 2.

Thanks,

Jacob
Old 09-04-2003, 03:23 AM
Pjtg0707

Default Re: Better Second Plane

Originally posted by jkinosh
I am thinking about either a Great Planes Giles 202 or a Great Planes Tracer. I will also be purchasing either a Uproar or a Dazzler (Seem to be the same plane just different logos).
Tracer is a pretty fragile plane. It's designed for F3A type precison aerobatics and it demands the handling skills for it too. If you are the type that rips out or bend landing gears on your trainer on landings, then Tracer won't last long for sure.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:41 AM
Mike Caspari

The somethin extra flies very well and will give you a good idea of what arobatic planes are all about. to move to a second plane you may want to try to turn the throws up on your trainer to prepare your reflexes to quicker control inputs. maybe a good "stick" design with a semetrical wing should be next. As far as a 202 goes, a friend of mine won a thunder tiger 202 arf(40 size) in a raffle and I got it from him(I'm more of an "extra" kind of guy myself) but I figured the price was right to try it out. I scratch build all my planes to my own liking. I will say this though, I flew that 202 for nearly 2 years and would still be flying it today if the battery wouldn't have fallen out of the transmitter on me, bad fellin there when you look on the ground and wonder who's battery pack that is laying there and realize it's yours! Anyways, that 202 was a great performer, inverted passes a few feet off the ground, knife edge down the runway, dragging the tail wheel on a slow landing. This plane was awesome. I could take off in a cross wind, put the plane in a 15 degree climg out and let it fly hands off, it would turn into the wing gently by itself while remaining flat and continue to climb out as if on rails. Nice looking plane too, a little elmers wood glue on the formers in the fusalage to reinforce it some what and it would be fine. Moving to your next plane will depend on the skill level you accomplish with your trainer. I started with a semi-semetrical airfoil trainer 20 size, after learning to fly I set the throws way up and converted it to a tail dragger, I flew this for about 6 months. My second plane was a scratch built cap 21 which I flew ok but it still took alot of practice on landing, getting that speed right can be a pain. That TT 202 I found was easy to land 3 point, alot easier than the other 40 size acrobats I've flown but it will try to fall off on a tip, like the other small ones if you get too slow and apply too much up , bump the throttle if in doubt. I hope this helps you decide what to move too next, that TT202 would be a good 3rd plane and really introduce you to acrobats 101 made easy and if you tear it up think of it as a 200 dollar flight lesson and right it off. If you can really fly a trainer until the wings come off I don't think you would have any trouble with that 202, I know its an arf but I've lost my pride and joy and many hours designing and building and that hurts alot more. Use all the training tools available to you and get to the point where YOU can make the maiden flight, it means so much more as a builder.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:18 AM
Out in the Stix

I can't tell you from a users opinion but from what I gathered the Somethin' Extra flies gentle, with a kick if you want it. Also from what I gathered the SE flies good if you have a dual rate radio, low rates to get used to it and hi rates to leave a burning hole in the sky.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:01 AM
DBCherry

Okay. I don't recommend a plane that's capable of 3D flight for a second plane. I know you're anxious to move up to aerobatics, but I'd recommend at least one intermediate step. (no one has any patience today. It's always gimme, gimme, I want it NOW!)

Anyway, I usually recommend a Great Planes Super Sportster a a second, providing you've really learned to fly your trainer. It's a good handling plane, and powered with a 46, can do most aerobatics albeit, in a smooth, pattern type flight as opposed to "stalled" 3D type. But it should be plenty to satisfy someone coming off a trainer. The 4 Star series is a good option too, as is the Kaos.

3D capable planes also have to be handled carefully. Do you have the discipline to NOT fly it at full throttle in level flight? One such flight can destroy the plane if you don't know what you're doing. (Those large control surfaces necessary for 3D are extremely prone to flutter.)

Now, poor 13 yearoldpilot has been hollering to be heard here for awhile, so I'll add a bit. The Somethin' Extra can be a relatively docile flyer if the rates are turned down low, and it's set up a bit nose heavy. With enough power, high throws and the CG set back, it capable of some pretty drastic manuevers, but NOT truly 3D capable. (Surfaces aren't large enough.)

Before you consider something more aerobatic than the above, I'd recommend getting real good with doing aerobatics with the trainer. (It's more capable than you may think.) Turn up the throws and learn to consistently fly inverted; do decent spins; fly knife edge as long as possible; Cubans and Immelmans, Split S's and stall turns; then get proficient at 4 point rolls and rolling circles.

IF, and that's a big if, you can do the above well, and without much thought, then I'd say maybe you could handle an Extra or a Giles 202.

Just my humble opinion.
Dennis-
Old 09-04-2003, 12:34 PM
Fastsky

Default 2nd plane jumping the gun...

I think that you know by now that if you started training with a fast high performance plane that your plane wouldn't last long. Going from a trainer to a Giles is too big jump and if you do that I am pretty sure that the plane won't last long. 2nd type planes tend to take off fast, respond instantly to very small stick movements and land faster than your trainer. It would be nice if your 2nd plane is also a bit forgiving and as you get used to the differences and not stall and start spinning if you slow down too much. The quick response time of a second plane while only using small stick movements will shock you and take getting used to. You don't want to be having a plane that will stall in an instant like the Giles while you are trying to catch on to this. Most 2nd type planes tend to come down and land at higher speeds than you are used to. For a good second plane which is quite aerobatic and lands nicely is the Goldberg Tiger 2. A Super Sporster is also a good choice but a bit harder to land. A 4* is a good flyer but tends to float(a lot) while trying to get it to land. Flyers that jump to planes like the Extra or Giles as their 2nd plane don't seem to have them for very long. My 2 cents. Hope this helps, Fast!
Old 09-04-2003, 01:33 PM
Out in the Stix

Thanks DBCherry.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:10 AM
Maelstrom

Default RE: Better Second Plane

Not the Tracer, trust me. Great brisk airplane but not as a second plane.

How about the chipmunk guys? Or the super chipmunk? Any ideas?

Luis
Old 09-29-2003, 07:27 AM
jkinosh

I have actually decided to build my second plane from plans over the winter. I just received the plans for the Bingo! form RCM. Everything I have read sais that it is very similiar to the SIG 4-Star, but just a tad more aerobatic. If anyone has any building tibs, please let me know.

Thanks,

Jacob
Old 09-29-2003, 07:39 AM
DBCherry

Jacob,
I think you'll be happy with the Bingo. I've never flown one, but have seen a guy at our club who's been flying one for years. It seems to land well, and should be capable of most aerobatics. (3D NOT included of course.)
Dennis-

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.