Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Different engines, Glow, Gas, please explain.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Different engines, Glow, Gas, please explain.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 03:12 PM
MDFlyer83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different engines, Glow, Gas, please explain.

Hello all, ive tried the search option to no avail. If someone could shed some light on the different fueled engines that would be great. Im having a hard time keeping up with the terminology, gas isnt just gas its premix correct?Also the different sizes .40, 50cc etc etc... I have aTwist 60 and would like to know a good engine to look out for incase the one I have on it now takes a sh**...

I hope this is easier to explain that ive explained.

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2012, 03:53 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Different engines, Glow, Gas, please explain.

Types of fuel: Glow and gas(oline).

Glow is made up of methanol, nitromethane and oil whether the engine type of 2-stroke or 4-stroke.
Gas is made up of pump gasoline and oil for 2-strokes.

Ignition for a glow engine is a "glow plug". Looks like a tiny spark plug however it has a platinum wire coil that constantly glows red hot and provides for ignition on the compression cycle.
Ignition for a gas engine is a spark plug and uses an ignition system to provide spark.
Yea, there's a diesel but I'm clueless about 'em.

Sizes of glow is typically cubic inches from .02 to 1.60 and above. When you see someone refer to a 60-sized plane they are referencing the size of a glow 2-stroke that will adequately power the plane (OS 61 FX, OS 65 AX, etc.). I'm gonna guess on this one - an equivalent powered 4-stroke is about 125% the size of a 2-stroke (maybe higher percentage).
Sizes of gas is typically cubic centimeters are typically big (until recently) 50 cc, 100 cc,

Mess factor of glow is significant as there is a ton of post ignition residue that exits the exhaust and ends up as a slimy mess on the plane's covering.
Mess factor of gas is non-existent.

HTH

And now for the expert input ...
Old 07-09-2012, 04:36 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

A 20CC Gas like a DLE20 is about equal to a 1.20 4 stroke. I think now a 4 and 2 in that size are about equal in output.  When you get smaller in 4 and 2 the power output drops in the 4 strokes in comparison to the 2 strokes.  2 Strokes can also turn at least twice as fast as a 4 stroke, but IIRC turn a smaller prop,

I run gas and 4 stroke glow, and the glow is messy, but the gas can get messy too, especially when first running them in, once finely tuned the mess drops to a light wiping.  Right now 10 minutes of running produced a splattering of black oil on the plane with the DLE20. It only has a couple tanks in it though, so a long way to go until its broken in.

Some gas engines weigh quite a bit more than the equivalent glow, the DLE20 is around 28 ounces with the ignition, but you have to also provide a 4 cell Nihm with it, so you need to add that into the equation too.

With the gas, once its broken in and starting on a couple flips, all you need is the gas can and chicken stick, no glow stick or starter needed.  The DLE that I have, once warmed up will start on one flip.  When cold though I use a starter, or I will be flipping for quite some time.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:43 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

That's pretty good, I must say.

The mess factor is, well, with glow engines, is part of the hobby and, of course, cannot be avoided to have good, smooth, and long lasting engines. The cost difference, is, of course, a significant factor. Glow engines are much less expensive than gasoline powered engines. Added plus is that the glow engines are easier to learn with. Tuning is fairly simple.

Setup for glow is pretty straight forward but with gasoline, it can be a tad bit more difficult.

With gasoline, you need a separate battery to provide for ignition and have to consider the inteference caused by gasoline powerd ignition systems.

For a beginner, glow is more beneficial - easier - to set up than a gasoline engine.

CGr,
Old 07-09-2012, 05:49 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

For a Twist 60 the OS AX 75 would be a good choice.

N.B. not a conventional begginers model. It will be fairly easy to fly on a buddy box but will not stand up well to heavy landings which are almost inevitable in the early days.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:49 PM
MDFlyer83

Thanks for the replies, ive owned a glow Traxxis stadium truck so I know the basics regarding glow plugs, fuel, starting, etc etc.... I get confused when it comes to when youd use X motor on Y airframe.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:52 PM
MDFlyer83

Also, Ive spent plenty of time on RF6 and am 100% confident in my landing abilities BUT I will have my friend Alex whos been flying for 5yrs buddy boxed just for safety sake.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:39 PM
SeamusG

The air frame manufacturer will provide you with their recommendation. Like I said, they call 'em 40 size, 60 size 120 size airframes. That means - use a 2-stroke .40 (or equivalent 4-stroke), use a 2-stroke .60, or a 2-stroke 1.20. You can usually upgrade a size but beware that the progressively bigger motors weigh more, are longer and wider, and require bigger mounts. There will come a point where a bigger motor / mount configuration just will not fit or is so friggen heavy that you'll have a real over-powered turd on your hands that won't perform anywhere near the way the designer intended.

Bottom line - you can bolt up as much HP as you want to pay for.

Oh yea - you being at sea level you can follow the manufacturer's suggested engine sizes. I'm at 5900 feet - IMUSTupgrade to come close to the "designed for" performance envelope.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:41 PM
SeamusG

Oops - double post - guess Ishouldn't have wasted my time on my 1st post. Sorry to have wasted y'alls time.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:33 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Also it's customary for glow engines to be measured in cubic inches and gassers to be in cubic centimeters. I don't know why that is, but that's what I see. So if the box says the plane needs a .60-.90 engine or simply says .60 size, that means a 2 stroke glow engine. As stated above, 4 stroke glow engines need to be a little bigger to give adequate power, so a .60 size sport plane would fly well with an .80-1.00 4 stroke. When choosing an engine, go with the lower end for the lightest weight and for smooth sport flying and longest flight times with a given tank, and go up from there to get more vertical performance or more straight line speed.